Is Sun 'n Fun doable with an Orlando home base?

gdwindowpane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gdwindowpane
I'd like to go to Sun 'n Fun this year. I have a "free" hotel for 4 nights/5 days in Orlando. Mapquest says it's a 60 minute drive from Orlando to Lakeland. Logistically will this be a PIA or will it not be that bad?

How many days should I plan on going? Is 2 enough? I've never been and would like to see some airshows, spend time drooling at the airplanes, etc.

Downside would be flying Allegiant down to FL but damn their prices are cheap.

All depends on the traffic on I-4. Typically, Orlando to Lakeland isn’t a very far drive, but again, it all depends on how the traffic is. I wouldn’t hesitate if I was given this situation, so I say go for it!

Driving anywhere from Orlando is a pain in the ass, but it shouldn’t stop you from doing it. It’s not that bad.

A buddy and I did it one year from his place in Orlando....concur that it's not that bad.

Jim

I was in Lakeland in Jan for a few days. I was driving I-4 west, past Orlando, to get there. I managed to hit the Orlando/I-4 traffic on a Friday evening at rush hour. It took nearly an hour to get from 417 onto 4. After that is was moving pretty well, just busy. Avoid that 417/I-4 area during Fri evening rush hour.

There are going to be toll gates along the way, but there are cash lanes. Bring a bunch of ones and quarters. They also have manned booths so you can get change. If you get a rental car, some of them might have the EZPass (or whatever they call it), my rental didn't.

We've done this several times. We stay in Kissimmee and drive in each morning. Never had a problem.

Sounds doable. Wish it was a week later, the first week of each month is a busy time for me at work. Might be able to only attend the show Saturday/Sunday.

Thanks for all the responses!!!

Chris

Sounds doable. Wish it was a week later, the first week of each month is a busy time for me at work. Might be able to only attend the show Saturday/Sunday.

Thanks for all the responses!!!

Chris
One week day is better than both weekend days. It’s nuts on the weekend.

Have stayed in Kissimmee for years,it’s not a bad commute. Two days is plenty of time to see the show.

I'd like to go to Sun 'n Fun this year. I have a "free" hotel for 4 nights/5 days in Orlando. Mapquest says it's a 60 minute drive from Orlando to Lakeland. Logistically will this be a PIA or will it not be that bad?

How many days should I plan on going? Is 2 enough? I've never been and would like to see some airshows, spend time drooling at the airplanes, etc.

Downside would be flying Allegiant down to FL but damn their prices are cheap.
The biggest predictor of how much of a PIA it will be depends on which side of Orlando is your hotel? If you are to the west, it won't be bad. If you are center city or East, it depends; it could be bad. But when I go, usually drive there and back in one day from Daytona and have to traverse all of Orlando. I do miss the night time activities though.

Hotel is actually in Lake Buena Vista which appears to be Southwest of Orlando proper. Mapquest has travel time from hotel to Lakeland at 44 minutes. Not bad. Now if I can just get them to push back the dates a week I'll be good!

buena vista to lakland should not be to bad in the morning, bad traffic is going into orlando at that time. if you stay late going east should not be to bad.

bob

I know your hotel is in Orlando, but keep in mind Allegiant flies into Tampa (PIE) as well. Their flight schedules are a little hit and miss, but that's how I've gone to SnF the last few years.

More flights to Sanford from ELM. I just don’t think I’m going to be able to swing the timing. Might aim for Oshkosh instead. I’ll use the “free” hotel in Vegas. Never been there, I hear you should visit at least once. Lol

Back