IS POA Dying?

igottafly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
igottafly
Not much going on lately . I feel like taps are in order.

Attachments

• taps-1.wav
    400.6 KB · Views: 28
The only consisitant daily posts were political as of late. They are still here, just hidden now.

HPNFlyGirl said:
I think the wx is getting nicer and people are out flying more instead of being online all the time.
Traffic always goes down when the weather improves. You can't TALK about it all the time. :D

Lets see instead of spending several hour surfing the net today I got up early and rode my bike to my weekend work where I taught scuba and then rode back. In a few moments I intend on taking out the roadster and driving with top down. Tomoorow mor eof the same, if I was not diving I would be flying. While I enjoy the company on POA I would rather be outside enjoying the world. :yes:

Michael said:
The only consisitant daily posts were political as of late. They are still here, just hidden now.

Yup. You just need a few more clicks than before... No taps needed! :yes:

smigaldi said:
Lets see instead of spending several hour surfing the net today I got up early and rode my bike to my weekend work where I taught scuba and then rode back. In a few moments I intend on taking out the roadster and driving with top down. Tomoorow mor eof the same, if I was not diving I would be flying. While I enjoy the company on POA I would rather be outside enjoying the world. :yes:
Scott, what do you teach re: scuba? Have you done any of the mixed gas diving? I was certified in the late 70's; all my diving in the last 10 years has been occasional recreational sightseeing diving in Cozumel, Mexico. I did a lot of abalone diving in San Diego in the 80s and 90s - none of it exceeded 90' or so. I haven't kept up on what's changed in the sport in the last 10 or more years...

igottafly said:
Not much going on lately . I feel like taps are in order.
I shed a tear and stand in staid silence everytime I hear it. Growing up, I heard it most every day.

gkainz said:
Scott, what do you teach re: scuba? Have you done any of the mixed gas diving? I was certified in the late 70's; all my diving in the last 10 years has been occasional recreational sightseeing diving in Cozumel, Mexico. I did a lot of abalone diving in San Diego in the 80s and 90s - none of it exceeded 90' or so. I haven't kept up on what's changed in the sport in the last 10 or more years...

I did some mixed gas when I was in Florida doing the caves. But now that I am no longer proficient I stay away from it. The only 'exotic' gases I use are EAN for recreation blends up to 40%. Harldy cutting edge ;). I teach all dive courses through assistant instructor and it is easier to list what I cannot teach out the PADI recreational repetoire. I don't teach covern, ice, vidoegrapher but I am pretty sure that all the other courses I have an instructor card for. But generally I teach Open water through Divemaster the most.

I still have not dove CA. But I have done a few places around Carib. and Hawaii. I keep wanting to go to the South Pacific but as I travel so much for work I really like staying in the same hemisphere for vacations.

I dove Hawaii and Philippines when I was in the Navy... lots of wrecks around the PI, but didn't have the training and wasn't up to learning on the fly, so to speak, so no wreck diving for me then. I'm intruiged by all the WWII dive site possibilities across the South Pacific, but I guess not to the point of learning wreck diving. Finished the book Shadow Divers a few months ago ... I get the shivers just reading about some of the close quarters those guys worked in. Guess I'm an open water diver at heart after all.

gkainz said:
I dove Hawaii and Philippines when I was in the Navy... lots of wrecks around the PI, but didn't have the training and wasn't up to learning on the fly, so to speak, so no wreck diving for me then. I'm intruiged by all the WWII dive site possibilities across the South Pacific, but I guess not to the point of learning wreck diving. Finished the book Shadow Divers a few months ago ... I get the shivers just reading about some of the close quarters those guys worked in. Guess I'm an open water diver at heart after all.

Nice places. The 'shivers' you got ae whyu I no longer cave dive. Too many firends lost because of some little mistake and I just do not feel comfortable doing it unless I have been training for it. Sorta like when someone would just jump into a plane after no cockpit times in a couple of years. Just is not smart.

I was never a big wreck fan. I have dove a few but on done very limited pentrations on a few. Nothing like what was in shadow divers. Good book though. I read it a while ago, I think when it first came out. Nowadays I am like you, pretty much just diving open water looking at the pretty fish or playing with the Manatees in the springs (federal water of course and it is illegal to play with them in Florida State waters).

I dont know whether it is dying or not, but I do know that I hate the live chat, Why cant someone just set up a simple IRC and let it go at that.

It takes forever to get on this one, and then it wont let me stay on, hate it, hate it, hate it

I haven't noticed a decrease, but then I'm not as active as some other are. 878 members is pretty good, really.

I'm glad y'all are having nice weather, because we sure aren't! I was hoping to complete my IPC today, but it was low clouds full of ice.

Judy

It may have been a little quiet lately, but I think the point about people flying more is probably right on.

I was up for over 6 hours last weekend. This weekend weather kind of did us in. We were going to fly up to Milwaukee (1C5 -> KMKE), but some of us (me definietly included) were afraid of the potential for weather coming back. Of course, it didn't seem to get bad until right about midnight, but it was gusting to 21 right across the runway. We wound up doing a shorter flight up to Schaumburg (06C) for dinner, then over PWK, down the lakefront, and the Eisenhower out west, right between O'Hare and Midway. Turned into a nice evening!

Seeing as how the majority of posts in the past were non-av posts in Hangar Talk where they could be discretely interlaced among the av posts and now there is an expectation that non-av posts will be segregated from av-posts to a greater extent the propensity of certain individuals to "load" the forums with non-av posts had diminished. The entry rate for av-posts has not changed much, imho.

I was offline for a week and a half while at Sun 'n Fun, so that probably had a major impact on the forum activity, too.:rofl:

gprellwitz said:
We were going to fly up to Milwaukee (1C5 -> KMKE)

Grant,

Any particular reason for choosing KMKE? I won't go there any more. :no: $ignature is the only place on the field for GA, and you get nailed for $44 just for showing up. :eek: Both times I've been there I've gotten service ranging from mediocre to nonexistant (including being yelled at for not "registering" my plane when there had been nobody at the front desk when I arrived). :mad:

My comments on AirNav were a little less restrained than the above.

gkainz said:
I dove on a Kate off of O'ahu. But not having the experience for wrecks I was very cautious, even though it was just a plane and not a wreck as complex as a ship. But then I had no problems diving in lava tubes, even free diving.

flyingcheesehead said:
Grant,

Any particular reason for choosing KMKE? I won't go there any more. :no: $ignature is the only place on the field for GA, and you get nailed for $44 just for showing up. :eek: Both times I've been there I've gotten service ranging from mediocre to nonexistant (including being yelled at for not "registering" my plane when there had been nobody at the front desk when I arrived). :mad:

My comments on AirNav were a little less restrained than the above.

A couple of daya ago I stopped at KMWC (Timmerman) in Milwaukee. It was a great airport, I had flown in Waukesha many a time but I'll go Timmerman over them. We only bought a few gallons of gas but they lent us the crew car, let us park out front, and lent us an office for a meeting all without any extra charges or trouble. MKE would be last on my list too when going to Milwaukee.

smigaldi said:
A couple of daya ago I stopped at KMWC (Timmerman) in Milwaukee. It was a great airport, I had flown in Waukesha many a time but I'll go Timmerman over them. We only bought a few gallons of gas but they lent us the crew car, let us park out front, and lent us an office for a meeting all without any extra charges or trouble. MKE would be last on my list too when going to Milwaukee.

The FBO's at UES and MWC are owned by the same guy. UES has a brand-new terminal building and 6000 foot runway with ILS. MWC is old but has a lot of history (including the very first AirVenture, long before it was called that).

I also know that MWC *really* needs the traffic, the Milwaukee County airport authority is less than supportive. :(

Back