Is Jay still out there?

I've spoken with Jay a few times over the past year and that's about accurate. His Zenith still hasn't sold to my knowledge. Hopefully he'll end up keeping it and get back into flying again.

Perhaps he'll make some hay when Tron Legacy comes out later this month. He has rather made a name for himself in that arena.

What's the latest on the Zenith grounding issue(s)? Do they have a fix?

I've spoken with Jay a few times over the past year and that's about accurate. His Zenith still hasn't sold to my knowledge. Hopefully he'll end up keeping it and get back into flying again.

http://www.zenith.aero/video/aerotv-zodiac-updates

So far no planes that have had the 'upgrade' have had an airframe failure. In my opinion the Zenith folks were late in addressing this issue but the fix seems to be proper. Zenith Aircraft is a good group of people and have treated me great during the build of my Zenith 801... I wish them a speedy recovery. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ben.
N801BH

What's the latest on the Zenith grounding issue(s)? Do they have a fix?

What Ben said. I don't know if it got done to Jay's plane or not. It's been a while since I talked to him.

Found him.

Exclusive: Tron Guy Reviews Tron: Legacy, Says Sequel Almost Drove Him to Tears

tron_guy-660x439.jpg

a new IMAX is opening today here in town, showing Tron through the middle of January. I might have to check that out.

Looking at the photo, and checking the registration on his plane reveals that is now belongs to a guy in Massachusetts with a November 2010 registration date.
Also the Airworthiness Certificate is interesting.
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Special Flight Permit
Approved Operations : Production flight testing

The registration probably has to do with the issues the Zodiac has been having. Remember it's an S-LSA, and the Zodiac has a few concerns regarding the wings.

Whoever bought it got a very nice airplane. I sure enjoyed flying in it, and when Jay bought it, he bought it to be a serious travel machine (as far as what anything in that general size can be).

Looking at the photo, and checking the registration on his plane reveals that is now belongs to a guy in Massachusetts with a November 2010 registration date.

That is interesting. My S-LSA certificate says:
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Light Sport
Approved Operations : Airplane

I wonder if his is the original AC.

Well happy he was able to sell it and relive himself of some of the finacial burden, but of course sad he had to sell it. He'll be back.

So.... Here I am reading this topic and click on the wired link posting talking about Jay and his plane.....

In that article there is a video you can click on to view Jay appearing on Jimmie Kimmal Live...... So I click and low and behold I get the typical corporate BS. Disney claims they own that video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsF2RUMmpqc&feature=player_embedded

No wonder poor Jay is pi$$ed at the world.

I had been chatting with his for years and met him at OSH a couple of years ago and he seems like one hell of a nice guy.....

If you are reading this, Chin up Jay.. Your day will come.

Tailwinds.
Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

In that article there is a video you can click on to view Jay appearing on Jimmie Kimmal Live...... So I click and low and behold I get the typical corporate BS. Disney claims they own that video too.

Umm.....

1) It's "lo and behold" (no 'w'). "lo" is short for "look".

and

2) Jimmy Kimmel is on ABC, and ABC is owned by Disney. So, yes, they do own the video.

--Carlos V.

Umm.....

1) It's "lo and behold" (no 'w'). "lo" is short for "look".

and

2) Jimmy Kimmel is on ABC, and ABC is owned by Disney. So, yes, they do own the video.

--Carlos V.

So..... once a show telecasts on public airways they still own it if it is used for non commercial purposes?

So..... once a show telecasts on public airways they still own it if it is used for non commercial purposes?

Yes.

The "noncommercial purposes" is a common misunderstanding of the concept of "fair use". Broadcasting or redistributing even without commercial gain is still depriving the content creator of their copyrights and any financial gain they may earn for the content.

Just posting up the clip in its entirety doesn't come close to the fair use sniff test. It isn't a portion, it was the whole thing, there's no analysis or educational use, and it deprives the owner of revenue as people will wait to watch it on Youtube instead of TV. That deprives the show of ratings, and low ratings yields low ad rates.

All those torrent TV shows? All copyright violations by the distributors of the files, each and every one. Unless the show was explicitly placed in the public domain, any creative work is copyrighted by default by the creator at the moment of its creation. That is an artifact of the US being a signatory to the Berne Convention. Plain broadcasting something doesn't put it in the public domain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

--Carlos V.

Last edited:

My bet is that the plane was delivered to the new owner without the wing mod and they had to have a special permit issued to ferry it to him.

My bet is that the plane was delivered to the new owner without the wing mod and they had to have a special permit issued to ferry it to him.

That was my thought as well. I hope it does not mean Jay let it go at a giveaway price.

Yes.

The "noncommercial purposes" is a common misunderstanding of the concept of "fair use". Broadcasting or redistributing even without commercial gain is still depriving the content creator of their copyrights and any financial gain they may earn for the content.

Just posting up the clip in its entirety doesn't come close to the fair use sniff test. It isn't a portion, it was the whole thing, there's no analysis or educational use, and it deprives the owner of revenue as people will wait to watch it on Youtube instead of TV. That deprives the show of ratings, and low ratings yields low ad rates.

All those torrent TV shows? All copyright violations by the distributors of the files, each and every one. Unless the show was explicitly placed in the public domain, any creative work is copyrighted by default by the creator at the moment of its creation. That is an artifact of the US being a signatory to the Berne Convention. Plain broadcasting something doesn't put it in the public domain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

--Carlos V.

Please define "analysis or educational use".........

Thanks in advance.

Ben.

Ferry permit is one thing but a new airworthiness cert? Be interesting to know the whole story. The current certificate sounds limiting.

For the record, Jay isn't ****ed at the world (at least not as of the last communication I had with him a few months back). He's actually kept his chin up quite well. I've had the pleasure of flying with him and he sure knew his plane. He's a great guy.

I got a tweet from Jay yesterday. Said he sold N55ZC, and that he's unlikely to return to PoA. :dunno:

He's a nice guy with a good sense of humor, and I wish him well.

Not so much on the sense of humor - A buddy of mine played a practical joke on him a while back - something about pretending to rent a room and then using the gratuity car for a while but staying at another airport.

Let's just say the sense of humor was nowhere to be found.

Not so much on the sense of humor - A buddy of mine played a practical joke on him a while back - something about pretending to rent a room and then using the gratuity car for a while but staying at another airport.

Let's just say the sense of humor was nowhere to be found.
Wrong Jay. This thread is about Jay 'The Tron Guy' Maynard.

It seems that Tron Guy is the embodiment of the fallacy of Will Rogers. Nobody who meets him fails to not like him.

I don't know about that, I liked him quite a bit when I met him. Five occasions or so, and he's always been very pleasant.

Seemed like a good sort to me as well.

Jay and I got along pretty well the few times we got together and flew each other's airplanes.

I remember him saying he enjoyed that, as well.

I took him and Javier up in the Aztec at Gaston's. Guess that's coming up on three years ago now - whew, time flies.

Back