Is it Worth Trying?

U

Unregistered

I've been a member for awhile. I'm a sport pilot and I would like to get my private pilot's license, but I want to make sure I won't be spending money unnecessarily or risking being able to fly as a sport pilot.
Here is my question for Dr. Bruce:
I'm in my late 50's. I had stents placed in 2005 and have been on an ACE inhibitor, A Beta blocker, and an baby aspirin for years. I have normal check-ups, per my cardiologist and my stress test is 12 minutes, which is better than normal.
As a profession, I drive a truck and have a CDL license. I do have a lazy eye and some color blindness but my eye doctor says I have perfect vision with both eyes and that those issues do not affect anything. I can see red, orange, etc. For my CDL medical exams, I always have to get my eye exam by my eye doctor instead of at the DMV. My eye doctor says this is only due to bureaucracy and I don't have vision problems.
My question is: Should I even attempt to get my private pilot's license and take a chance on losing my sport pilot's license?
Thanks in advance.

This is one of those in which the proper course is to gather the file, and we'd have to make sure that it's a "go" as LSA privileges are at stake....before saying "boo" to the agency.

Need:
Stress treadmill to 149 (based on 55 y.o) and nine minutes- need the tracings and they have to be FAA negative. Get 5 mins of "cooldown tracings" too.

Letter from Cardiologist- risk factors, meds, medium term prognosis.
Fasting glucose, and Lipid profile.

We'd want to see if you can pass any of the color dot tests- or that will be "not valid for flight at night or by light gun color signal", or you can prep for the color vision ride at the FSDO after/if we can issue.

You may need a trip to the ophthalmologist to get a formal assessment of "bifoveal fusion break" in arc-seconds, due to the lazy eye.

We' want to see all that before you said "boo!" to the agency.

Thank you very much. I'll try to get the medical records from my doctor. As far as why I want a private pilot's certificate - it will give me more options about when I can fly, how many people I can carry, and what kind of planes I can fly. Right now, I have to drive a long way to get to the LSA.

Thank you very much. I'll try to get the medical records from my doctor. As far as why I want a private pilot's certificate - it will give me more options about when I can fly, how many people I can carry, and what kind of planes I can fly. Right now, I have to drive a long way to get to the LSA.

There's always the option of buying a used LSA and parking it closer to home. ;)

Unless there is a need for ppl let sleeping dogs lie. There are plenty of light sports on the market if you can afford ownership.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back