Is it worth restoring?

Only to the person that buys it for market value from the person that spent 3 times that to restore it.

I'm thing it may be worth salvaging the crank, and some parts.

The engine is likely the most valuable thing there. If it’s in decent shape, I’d say go for it... might be able to make a nickel on it.

The engine is likely the most valuable thing there. If it’s in decent shape, I’d say go for it... might be able to make a nickel on it.
At 9 grand, nope.

So much labor goes into a restoration that it's hard to make any money on one unless:
A. it's a really rare airplane, or
B. you pay yourself five bucks an hour, or
C. you plan to keep it for yourself to fly and its restoration is just a hobby.

Gosh Tom, I'd love to see you save it, as that would mean an available hangar at S50! However, I could see that you could get it going, and if you've got some old radios on the shelf you could probably get it to be a basic flyer for not much money, except.... it needs a paint job. So you're adding 15K right there on top of all the mechanical and reassembly work. I hate to see a good airplane go, but that's tough

Gosh Tom, I'd love to see you save it, as that would mean an available hangar at S50! However, I could see that you could get it going, and if you've got some old radios on the shelf you could probably get it to be a basic flyer for not much money, except.... it needs a paint job. So you're adding 15K right there on top of all the mechanical and reassembly work. I hate to see a good airplane go, but that's tough
The engine is ready for overhaul, $18,000 to start.

And you can't count the crank is any good. the flange is the first thing that gets corroded and first to get condemned for pitting.

need a project..

So much labor goes into a restoration that it's hard to make any money on one unless:
A. it's a really rare airplane, or
B. you pay yourself five bucks an hour, or
C. you plan to keep it for yourself to fly and its restoration is just a hobby.

you will find that the pay is on the other side of the ledger.

My A&P just bought a similar condition C150 for $5K. He's converting it to a tail dragger with a set of C140 mains sitting in his hangar.

This plane might be on the high side at $9K, but it's Craigs List... time to haggle.

One of my best friends sold his 1963 172 with strong; but run-out engine and antiquated avionics, OK paint, old interior for $20K. In the buyers case $20K plus $18K for engine puts that bird at $38K!

Mint/restored early 60's 172 probably sell for $45K or more. Given Tom's a MX, should get good money out on the other side. Assuming wings and everything is there and in good order. The highest labor cost in repainting a plane is stripping. That's already done.

Last edited:
The engine is ready for overhaul, $18,000 to start.

And you can't count the crank is any good. the flange is the first thing that gets corroded and first to get condemned for pitting.
Is that one of the O-300 years?

My A&P just bought a similar condition C150 for $5K. He's converting it to a tail dragger with a set of C140 mains sitting in his hangar.

This plane might be on the high side at $9K, but it's Craigs List... time to haggle.

One of my best friends sold his 1963 172 with strong; but run-out engine and antiquated avionics, OK paint, old interior for $20K. In the buyers case $20K plus $18K for engine puts that bird at $38K!

Mint/restored early 60's 172 probably sell for $45K or more. Given Tom's a MX, should get good money out on the other side. Assuming wings and everything is there and in good order. The highest labor cost in repainting a plane is stripping. That's already done.
You can buy better aircraft than you can build.

Is that one of the O-300 years?
when the crank is reworked the crank flange is cad plated. You then know it was cut to an under sized.
The flange is also stamped with a size

I would start negotiations at they pay me $9k to take it off their hands. We don't have to settle on that price, but that would be my opening bid. Probably settle somewhere in the middle with someone paying someone else $1k and they get their storage space emptied.

Unless it’s your last airplane, you’ll never get the money back from a thorough restoration. It will be one expensive 172.

Simply remember "there is one born every minute"

If this is for a school project or as an organization reaching STEM interested or trade interested students, why not? Otherwise, hard pass.

If this is for a school project or as an organization reaching STEM interested or trade interested students, why not? Otherwise, hard pass.
This would be a good candidate for a owner to do one under the supervision of a A&P

O-300 up to 1967. This is a '63. Lycomings went in starting in 1968.
C-172 - 1963 will be a 0-300-D, wet vac pump, Hanlon and Wilson mufflers, marvel MA3SPA carb.

muffler set up is worth $1000 per side, unmodified carb is worth $1000, other stuff isn't worth much.

the only yearly AD is the seat rails,

Last edited:
I thought these things needed wings.

Back