Is it worth joining reserves if your goal is to become an airline pilot?

Seth19

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Seth
Currently, I am going to college full time studying Mechanical Engineering. I work at the local airport and use all the money I earn to fund my flight training. Once I earn my private pilots, I’m considering joining the military reserves. Im considering this because I know it has the potential to fund my flight training, could possibly give me an edge over other job applicants in the future, and the benefits. My ultimate goal is to become an airline pilot. In your opinion, is it worth joining given my current situation? Or would I be off not wasting the time and going straight into the airlines?

Save everybody’s time and avoid frustration: go straight to airlines.

Uh… your first day in the airlines is EXACTLY like your last. Would be a great diversion. Know lots of guard babies. Was always a little jealous of them. Except they didn’t get to land on carriers!

Flying is like investing: it’s always better to do it with somebody else’s money. Join the Reserves and you’ll also likely get “heavy” time, which should help a lot with the airlines and get you out of regional short haul more quickly.

At the beginning of Desert Storm, the airlines were a bit shocked when the government activated the Civil Reserve Air Fleet clause in their co-pay funding of every airliner built. The companies were even more amazed when so many of their flight deck crews disappeared in a Reserve recall, often to fly the same aircraft they’d been flying M-F but for the Reserves.

There are an amazing number of Reserve and Air Guard pilots flying with the airlines. Quality training, lots of hours, and a diversity of aircraft makes you a more attractive candidate for the airlines (although, admittedly, any warm blooded person with enough hours seems to suffice at present).

Flying is like investing: it’s always better to do it with somebody else’s money. Join the Reserves and you’ll also likely get “heavy” time, which should help a lot with the airlines and get you out of regional short haul more quickly.

At the beginning of Desert Storm, the airlines were a bit shocked when the government activated the Civil Reserve Air Fleet clause in their co-pay funding of every airliner built. The companies were even more amazed when so many of their flight deck crews disappeared in a Reserve recall, often to fly the same aircraft they’d been flying M-F but for the Reserves.

There are an amazing number of Reserve and Air Guard pilots flying with the airlines. Quality training, lots of hours, and a diversity of aircraft makes you a more attractive candidate for the airlines (although, admittedly, any warm blooded person with enough hours seems to suffice at present).

All very good points and all quite true.

I would add though, to the OP, I would advise against the Reserves if the ONLY reason you would join is to get you to the airlines; gonna need a bit more dedication than that. You need to remember that there is a possibility that you will be called up to fly a airplane into an area where you will be shot at. And if that call comes, you will be required to answer it. Being shot at often takes the fun out of an otherwise fun and safe activity. Statistically, you would still be very safe. But statistics don’t provide much relief when it’s your a$$ in the seat.

If being a part of the military is something you would find rewarding and a cause that you can commit to, then by all means go for it!

Agreed.

But HUH? A lot of ANG and Reserve Units flying fighter/attack aircraft.

I would add though, to the OP, I would advise against the Reserves if the ONLY reason you would join is to get you to the airlines; gonna need a bit more dedication than that. You need to remember that there is a possibility that you will be called up to fly a airplane into an area where you will be shot at. And if that call comes, you will be required to answer it. Being shot at often takes the fun out of an otherwise fun and safe activity. Statistically, you would still be very safe. But statistics don’t provide much relief when it’s your a$$ in the seat.

If being a part of the military is something you would find rewarding and a cause that you can commit to, then by all means go for it!

Also, the ANG and reserves get only a few pilot training slots per year. When I did it, it was one slot per state per year for ANG. And just a few AFRES direct to UPT slots.

Many units require you to join the unit and show them that they want to use that UPT slot for YOU.

You have a much better change of getting a slot through active duty route. But you will have a long full time commitment. Right now, USAF is 10 years for pilot training, UPON COMPLETION of their training. So if it starts upon completion of pilot training, that is a bit over 11 years for officer training plus UPT. If they mean one you are fully qualified in a mission aircraft, that can add another year.

The Reserves/National Guard is one of the best kept (non-) secrets out there. You can get all your flight training for free and add your civilian ratings while you do it.

Once you get to the point of being hired by an air carrier, you can still keep up your regular drill schedule and enjoy the ability to fly swoopy airplanes as well as driving the airline bus.

Different environments. Does it suit you?

Agreed.

But HUH? A lot of ANG and Reserve Units flying fighter/attack aircraft.

a lot of large C17, C-5, & KC reserve squadrons are exclusively “heavies.” They get activated a lot of big joint exercises overseas. (If you were trying to fly MAC, you’d keep an eye on the exercise skeds, particularly in WestPac. The reserves would fly over loaded & turn around & fly home empty (then repeat 3 weeks later in reverse). But yeah, there are some fighters.

After all, a C-17 needs at least two pilots, plus an extra 2 relief crew for the long hauls. An A-10 only has one stick. I’d wager, that a heavy slot is easier to wrangle in the guard/reserve.

a lot of large C17, C-5, & KC reserve squadrons are exclusively “heavies.” They get activated a lot of big joint exercises overseas. (If you were trying to fly MAC, you’d keep an eye on the exercise skeds, particularly in WestPac. The reserves would fly over loaded & turn around & fly home empty (then repeat 3 weeks later in reverse). But yeah, there are some fighters.

After all, a C-17 needs at least two pilots, plus an extra 2 relief crew for the long hauls. An A-10 only has one stick. I’d wager, that a heavy slot is easier to wrangle in the guard/reserve.

The slots are by state or unit. Heavy units don't get more slots.

Yes, they need more pilots, but most Guard/Reserve pilots come from out of active duty.

And yes, if you were to join a heavy unit and get sent to pilot training, you would fly heavies. But if you join a fighter/attach, you fly that.

And units can change aircraft. When I was in A-10 RTU, an AFES unit was converted from C-130s to A-10s. A number of the RTU instructors transferred to that unit, as all the aircrew from the C-130s had to find another unit. And GA ANG switched from F-15s to B-1s.

I’ve considered joining the military full time before, but I decided not to because I enjoy the civilian lifestyle. I wouldn’t be doing military solely for the benefits, I’ve always wanted to serve my country like so many others have. I just wouldn’t want to do it full time. Which begs the question, what branch is right for me and is it best to enlist in the reserves/guard? I really don’t think I’d enlist unless I have the guarantee that I can be a fixed-wing pilot. I also don’t want to be full time for anything longer than three years because I’d like to get to the airlines and start building my hours. As a student pilot, I enjoy casually flying. I don’t get a thrill or particularly enjoy the aerobatics aspect of flight. TBH, I’m not even comfortable when practicing stalls. So, I’m not quite sure how intense the flight training is in the military. With all this being said, do you think it would be best to stay civilian?

Off-topic suggestion - practice them enough that you're comfortable with stalls, and slow flight for that matter.

I’ve considered joining the military full time before, but I decided not to because I enjoy the civilian lifestyle. I wouldn’t be doing military solely for the benefits, I’ve always wanted to serve my country like so many others have. I just wouldn’t want to do it full time. Which begs the question, what branch is right for me and is it best to enlist in the reserves/guard? I really don’t think I’d enlist unless I have the guarantee that I can be a fixed-wing pilot. I also don’t want to be full time for anything longer than three years because I’d like to get to the airlines and start building my hours. As a student pilot, I enjoy casually flying. I don’t get a thrill or particularly enjoy the aerobatics aspect of flight. TBH, I’m not even comfortable when practicing stalls. So, I’m not quite sure how intense the flight training is in the military. With all this being said, do you think it would be best to stay civilian?

I agree with the other posters, stay civilian. Mr. Murphy still runs the universe, and that means that your call to active duty would most likely come in the day after your offer letter comes in from the airline job of your dreams.

Back