Is it the gauge, or something else?

TBalch

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TBalch
Several months ago, I began to experience some odd performance from my engine. The power settings I learned to use during instrument training - high RPM, 18.5”, 10 degrees flaps - no longer gave me 100KIAS. Airspeed was usually considerably lower, and in the descent, when 12.5” previously produced 100KIAS and a 500FPM descent, I had to increase power - a lot. At that time, my IA plumbed his pitot-static tester into the MP gauge and found that the MP gauge readings correlated with what his vacuum gauge was reading.

Recently, at the end of a X/C and a long, slow descent, I noticed it happening again. On the downwind I had to make the MP gauge indicate 22” in order to get 100KIAS. After landing and exiting the runway, I closed the throttle, set the brakes, and took a picture of the panel. With the throttle closed, prop at high RPM, tach indicating 670 RPM, the MP gauge was reading 23” – cruise power! When I shut it down, the MAP gauge slowly returned to ambient pressure.

The prop governor has recently been overhauled, so I don't think it's that. Opinions welcomed.

Not to be smart but the answer to the question is "Yes" it is the gauge, or something else.

Gauge may be fine, fittings or line might be leaking. Engine vacuum is escaping before getting to the gauge.

If it takes time after shutdown to return to ambient, there's probably a blockage in the line somewhere. Plugged fitting, hose liner peeling loose and being sucked in, kinked hose maybe. Might be both that and a leak.

During shutdown , gases often reverse and deposit residue in the gauge. Some installations have a tiny hole in the line near the cylinder to reduce the build-up.

With the gauge on the bench put some fuel in the port. Allow to sit for a little while and dump out. Repeat a number of times. Hopefully you are cleaning the crud out.

Instrument guy showed this to me . He said some competing shops called this an overhaul!

Back