Is it safe to fly an ultralight in the Rocky’s

Braeden

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Braeden
Hello, I am wanting to buy an ultralight and fly it around for fun and practicing landings and stuff but I live in Woodland Park, CO. It is right outside of Colorado Springs and has an elevation of about 8,500 feet. I’m wondering if it is even possible to operate an ultralight at that altitude and if it is, is it safe due to the altitude?

Shouldn't be a problem if you pick your days appropriately. Some marginally powered ultralights might struggle with the density altitude, but then some marginally powered standard airplanes struggle, too. Mechanical turbulence from the surrounding mountains is something you'll have to watch out for, too, if there's much breeze. Cool calm mornings or evenings will be your friend.

Many people have been hurt or killed in ultralight aircraft because they imagined that because a license was not required that training was not required.

There are people who have survived flying without training and just as many who have not.

Many people have been hurt or killed in ultralight aircraft because they imagined that because a license was not required that training was not required.

There are people who have survived flying without training and just as many who have not.
And some have gotten others killed too like the paramotor that collided with someone.

I am glad we require everyone to be licensed here.

Where would I find proper training and about how much will it cost?

Due to FAA shortsightedness, ultralight training is problematic. There are no 2 seat ultralights, so you have to train in an "ultralight like" 2 seater, or get some time in a light plane like a Cub or a Champ and then some transition training, which may be informal (and unpaid).

It also depends on what type of ultralight. What are you interested in?

For 3 axis ultralights (ultralight airplanes) it's especially problematic as there are very few suitable aircraft that aren't registered experimental, meaning they can't be used for commercial use, including renting to a student. There are very a very few ultralight like SLSA aircraft that can be used commercially.

For weight shift, I think it's a little better, though I don't know too much about that world.

For powered parachutes, I think it's a little better, there are some SLSA PPCs.

For powered paraglider (similar to but different from PPC) training is often included in the purchase price of new equipment. PPG is quite popular nowadays, and there are a lot of instructors.

For all of the above, you may have to travel.

Your best bet is to wander around to small airports (the smaller the better) in your area and ask. If there's any ultralight activity in the area, people will likely know of it ("no, nobody flies ultralights here, but there's a group over at Podunk airport...").

What do you plan to buy/fly? The manufacturer may have some suggestions. Some companies such as Quicksilver have an LSA version of their aircraft for training.

Just my view, but the fact that you're asking the question tells me you're headed the right way in terms of not having any problems.

In broad terms, in my view, most accidents happen either when pilots operate beyond the capabilities of their aircraft or themselves, or when they intentionally take shortcuts with something. So don't do those things. Get whatever training it takes to make you safe and comfortable with what you're doing...maybe not easy, but pretty simple.

I plan to get a 3 axis powered ultralight like a quicksilver or champion 1. I would like and Aerolite 103 but it’s a little more on the expensive side. I also plan to get a pretty decent flight sim. I know it’s not a good idea to solely use the sim for training but if I had a few lessons with someone local in a LSA, read up on density altitude, and practiced a lot on the sim, would that be a good start?

For ultralight flying, a sim is probably worse than useless. Sims have some value for teaching instruments and navigation procedures for larger aircraft, but can't mimic the behavior of an ultralight in real world conditions.

Unless you can find somebody doing primary instruction in a SLSA Quicksilver or M-Squared Breese (Quick clone), your most practical approach is to get training up to the point of solo in a light LSA compatible plane like a J-3 Cub or Champ, then a bit of transition training in a 2 seat Quicksilver (even if it's just a ride or two with a non CFI friend). Being in contact with other ultralight pilots in you area will be a huge help (not to mention making it a lot more fun!).

You might try contacting a Quicksilver dealer: http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/usa.php

or Tri-State Kites, who was a Quick dealer from way back: http://www.trikite.com/

Due to FAA shortsightedness, ultralight training is problematic. There are no 2 seat ultralights, so you have to train in an "ultralight like" 2 seater, or get some time in a light plane like a Cub or a Champ and then some transition training, which may be informal (and unpaid).

It also depends on what type of ultralight. What are you interested in?

For 3 axis ultralights (ultralight airplanes) it's especially problematic as there are very few suitable aircraft that aren't registered experimental, meaning they can't be used for commercial use, including renting to a student. There are very a very few ultralight like SLSA aircraft that can be used commercially.

For weight shift, I think it's a little better, though I don't know too much about that world.

For powered parachutes, I think it's a little better, there are some SLSA PPCs.

For powered paraglider (similar to but different from PPC) training is often included in the purchase price of new equipment. PPG is quite popular nowadays, and there are a lot of instructors.

For all of the above, you may have to travel.

Your best bet is to wander around to small airports (the smaller the better) in your area and ask. If there's any ultralight activity in the area, people will likely know of it ("no, nobody flies ultralights here, but there's a group over at Podunk airport...").
There's a guy at KCFO that builds and teaches ultralights and gyrocopters. Next time I'm out there, I'll try to get his phone # or email.

There's a guy at KCFO that builds and teaches ultralights and gyrocopters. Next time I'm out there, I'll try to get his phone # or email.
That’d be great, thank you

I built and flew a CGS Hawk for years in western Colorado. It is not an ultralight, but looks like one. I based it out of a grass strip at 8000'. I landed on skis at 11,200 once, and wheels on the Flattops at 10,700. I wish I'd flown it more before I sold it, I put 230 hours on it. It was a great toy, and a great learning tool. Fly it in the early morning or late evening in the summer. Winter you could fly all day, but pick the days.

Back