Is it possible to start an Air Charter/Maintenance company and make a profit?

To be honest, I can't envision myself working for someone else and having to answer to someone above me. (I've always been a "I need to be in charge" kind of a person no matter what I've been involved in).

When you're a business owner, every customer or client is someone you answer to. You may be in charge of the business, but the customer is the boss as long as bills need to be paid.

Business owners who forget that typically don't last long.

When you're a business owner, every customer or client is someone you answer to. You may be in charge of the business, but the customer is the boss as long as bills need to be paid.

Business owners who forget that typically don't last long.

Best advice given so far

I'm not in Europe so no I do not. However I am running a aircraft rental and flight training operation in the United States and know very well what things cost and how much money can be made. Care to point me to the successful aircraft rental operation you're running?

My business is in the automotive sector, I don't run a rental operation. I know the market and the prospective customers pretty well though.
I do know people who have made 7 figures by renting out ratty C150's. When they fly 1000+ hours a year, they tend to make money. Have a fleet of 10, even better if you have EASA training available with them, they tend to make even more money.

Limiting the customer base to US based pilots only means, that your customers will compare your prices to average US prices. Offering it to Europe(which for hour building is easy given that a 61.75 is a piece of cake to get) means your customers compare it to the European prices (or the very few other US based operators who understand where the money is), where a cheap 150 is $150 an hour, plus landing fees. Or 12-month minimum pseudo-clubs with 100USD/month membership fees.

Free advice to get more people to use your services(if you want any more, that is): Have prices visible in your website. It would also help if people would know where you are, Nebraska is a big place :)

If I was looking to rent a 50-hour block of 172 time, I wouldn't even email you.

Then again, if you don't want customers like that, well, it shows there is money to be made because you already have all the customers you need :)

Back