Is it okay to take a quick nap while flying long distances?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Hello,

As of late I have been watching ferry pilots on you tube claim to have been flying for 20 hrs straight from California to Hawaii in a Cessna 172. How on earth do they manage that?

WOOOHOOO I got it :yikes:

Last edited:
Yes, but in a low wing be sure to wear sunscreen.

It's a TV show. Almost no relation to reality.

As for taking a nap - sure if there's another pilot who takes the controls of the airplane while you're snoozing.

By yourself? Would you take a nap while driving 75 mph on the interstate?

Hello,

As of late I have been watching ferry pilots on you tube claim to have been flying for 20 hrs straight from California to Hawaii in a Cessna 172. How on earth do they manage that?

Lots of caffiene & energy drinks. 20 hours is manageable, even up to 26 can be done- but you'll be fried at the end.

Read Baa Baa Black Sheep by Pappy Boyington lol. Quite a few tidbits on how to rig a plane to get some sleep underway.

Nobody will admit it here, but yes probably they do briefly close their eyes. Rest their eyelids so to speak. I couldn't do those long flight times.

As for taking a nap - sure if there's another pilot who takes the controls of the airplane while you're snoozing.

The you tube link, (Once I get it working)

Is an actual Ferry Pilot making the trip.

An airplane going 150m.p.h. thousands of feet off the ground is not somewhere I want to wake up wondering where the F am I and what the F am I doing?

Having said that, I've had to slap myself once or twice when the drum of the engine and a long cross country had the sandman throwing sand in my eyes.

I've dozed off and snapped back to attention quickly a couple of times. It wasn't intentional, and it wasn't planned or good in any way....

With the technology to guide me accurately during my nap? I'd sleep all the way across Kansas and half of Colorado.

Mrs 6PC just now managed to take a nap on a 15 minute flight.
I swear Flying is like a sleeping pill to her.

The you tube link, (Once I get it working)

Is an actual Ferry Pilot making the trip.

To embed youtube link, type [noparse]
[/noparse] where the text between the two yt tags is what follows v= in the youtube url.

Last edited:
Read Baa Baa Black Sheep by Pappy Boyington lol. Quite a few tidbits on how to rig a plane to get some sleep underway.

Yeager's book too. He claims that BOTH him and Hoover went to sleep at the same time with their C47 on autopilot.

Sure you can! Consider he pilot some years ago in a 310 who snoozed while flying from Pittsburg to NYC. Woke up 200 miles off the east coast, radioed he was attempting to fly back but alas......crashed and died, running out of fuel.

Lol. I dont think my wife would make a good copilot. The tail waggle of the Bonanza and she is out back there in seat 3B before we reach cruise.

When I was younger I would routinely go 38 - 40 hours in a 48 hour ham radio contest remaining awake (and copying high speed morse code the entire time) before taking a 90 minute snooze.
Can't do more than 24 hours of contest at a stretch anymore in my 7th decade.

As far as the 20 hour flight, at 9 gph that is 180 gallons plus your safety margin of an hour, so approx 189 gallons = approx 1150 pounds of fuel.
With a wing leveler and an alarm clock catching a half hour here and there should not be an issue.

Could not fathom sleeping in a the plane by myself with the plane on auto pilot.

If it gets too bad, I'll set down and stretch my legs and get some coffee or a coke or something... It isn't like I'm flying a 747.

I can be down in ten minutes or less and land almost anywhere no higher than I fly. And the choices the STOL 180 give me are almost unlimited on aerodromes to choose from. Pavement, grass, oil field road, a farm or ranch, no problem. So I don't push it..I'm sure somebody will be along to quote an FAR about it.

We rode in the CAF's B-17, and I can understand how on a grueling long mission in that harsh environment, the crew could trade off catching some sleep. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that as long as someone at the controls stays awake. :redface:

If it gets too bad, I'll set down and stretch my legs and get some coffee or a coke or something... It isn't like I'm flying a 747.

I can be down in ten minutes or less and land almost anywhere no higher than I fly. And the choices the STOL 180 give me are almost unlimited on aerodromes to choose from. Pavement, grass, oil field road, a farm or ranch, no problem. So I don't push it..I'm sure somebody will be along to quote an FAR about it.

We rode in the CAF's B-17, and I can understand how on a grueling long mission in that harsh environment, the crew could trade off catching some sleep. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that as long as someone at the controls stays awake. :redface:
The crews during WW2 were all very young and very frightened. It was extremely cold in most instances , well below zero. No pressurization, flight suit heaters that did not work, very little sleep trying to stay alive. Very few "naps".

The crews during WW2 were all very young and very frightened. It was extremely cold in most instances , well below zero. No pressurization, flight suit heaters that did not work, very little sleep trying to stay alive. Very few "naps".

I don't know how they did it. Youth is the only thing that comes to mind.

The B-17 was cramped and like getting the hell beat out of you even for a thirty minute joy ride at low level.

I'm over 6' and didn't fit well most anywhere in the 17. It felt to me like it was designed for a skinny guy 5' 6" tall.

I'm over 6' and didn't fit well most anywhere in the 17. It felt to me like it was designed for a skinny guy 5' 6" tall.

Reminds me when I went for a ride in the B-17 last year at Oshkosh. There were 6-8 of us who went up and we all roamed around the B-17 during the flight to experience all the stations. Four of the passengers were really huge so they didn't try to go squeeze through to that front area below and in front of the pilots, that front turret area I forgotten the name for it. Anyway when I took my turn up front there, as I turned around one of the huge dudes was coming on through and he was wedged :yikes: sort of trying to push his fatness feet first through that narrow low area. I briefly panicked internally thinking what would I do if we had an emergency now with this human cork between me and an exit. :hairraise: He eventually had to give up and said "Don't think this is going to work". I just very politely said "you're probably right". :lol:

The B-17 was cramped and like getting the hell beat out of you even for a thirty minute joy ride at low level.

Amphetamines.

I spent some time taking to B17 crew inside a B-17. The radio / top turret guy said you could tell when you got near the target and into the flack by the change in current draw as everyone turned down the heaters in their suits.
I got into the ball turret, but couldn't get it closed - you had to be fairly short to get in there. I commented that it would be tough to get out quickly - the gunner said that he beat the waist gunners out of the airplane when they got shot down over Germany. The bombardier I talked to talked about having to climb out on the bomb racks after takeoff to arm the bombs - they had to bring the pins back to prove that they had done it. Apparently some guys wouldn't do it (the doors would not support your weight) and they would end up dropping duds.

But, back to the original question.

What could possibly go wrong? It's not like there are any other airplanes in the sky to run into. And, if there were, you could trust the other guy to look out for you - particularly if you come up from behind them in a faster aircraft - they will get out of your way.

Charles Lindbergh's transatlantic crossing was 33 1/2 hours. I think he was awake quite a while before departing, too.

0521_big.gif

With the technology to guide me accurately during my nap? I'd sleep all the way across Kansas and half of Colorado.

Ugh. That's my normal drive when we visit family. On that drive the best view of Kansas is the one in the rear view mirror.

My flights are either short enough that I don't have a problem staying alert or they are at the limit of my bladder. So far, nothing longer than that.

Last edited:
Hello,

WOOOHOOO I got it :yikes:

I've not spent nearly that time in an airplane before, but have done numerous 24 hour runs. The key is to lay off the caffeine leading up to the event and then use it as needed in the overnight hours. I always get a boost of energy once the sun comes back up in the morning.

No way you can stay sharp that whole time, though.

I'm 6' 2". I fit great in the pilot's seat. I don't fit so well when standing up.

I also fit in the ball turret. The best place to take a nap on the B-17 is in the tail gunner's position. From there, you can stretch your legs and get some shut eye. Ask me how I know. :D

Reminds me when I went for a ride in the B-17 last year at Oshkosh. There were 6-8 of us who went up and we all roamed around the B-17 during the flight to experience all the stations. Four of the passengers were really huge so they didn't try to go squeeze through to that front area below and in front of the pilots, that front turret area I forgotten the name for it. Anyway when I took my turn up front there, as I turned around one of the huge dudes was coming on through and he was wedged :yikes: sort of trying to push his fatness feet first through that narrow low area. I briefly panicked internally thinking what would I do if we had an emergency now with this human cork between me and an exit. :hairraise: He eventually had to give up and said "Don't think this is going to work". I just very politely said "you're probably right". :lol:
There is an exit down there. It's to the left and below when sitting in he navigator's seat. It's a panel that swings outward and was how some pilots entered the bird.

Charles Lindbergh's transatlantic crossing was 33 1/2 hours. I think he was awake quite a while before departing, too.

0521_big.gif
From what I've heard, he designed he airplane to be quite unstable. Just keeping the bird in the air should have kept him on top of it.

We lost more pilots to accidents than to the enemy during that conflict. Pulling stunts like Boyington talks about is a part of why it happened that way. Bottom line is the TV shows like that are not really "reality" -- just fantasy posing as reality. The reality is that there is no safe way for a solo pilot to nap in flight.

Amphetamines.

Dr. Bruce: Have you taken any medication in the past two years?
Me: No.....oh wait....Amphetamines.
Dr. Bruce: What!!??!!
Me: Oh don't worry, I don't use them very often. Only when I'm flying and then only when I'm so exhausted I can't keep my eyes open any longer. Hey, why are you looking at me like that?

Note: Nothing in this post is factually correct. Including the insinuation that Dr. Bruce is my AME.

We used to take turns napping. One flight from inland enroute to a port city, I woke up to find the other pilot also asleep and nothing but ocean in sight.

We used to take turns napping. One flight from inland enroute to a port city, I woke up to find the other pilot also asleep and nothing but ocean in sight.

:hairraise:

That's where the 'dont let me catch you sleeping when I wake up' quip comes from.

Some carrier on Hawaii almost sent a RJ into the drink that way.

I've not spent nearly that time in an airplane before, but have done numerous 24 hour runs. The key is to lay off the caffeine leading up to the event and then use it as needed in the overnight hours. I always get a boost of energy once the sun comes back up in the morning.

No way you can stay sharp that whole time, though.

That is exactly right,

There was a study on sleep deprivation and they compared it to almost the same as driving drunk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1739867/

My best friend is the same way, she's always out cold by the time I'm done with my run-up. She tells me I should take it as a compliment that she trusts me not to kill her... So I guess you should take it as one too lol.

My friend and I just completed a 22 hour straight flight, and on our last two legs we took turns napping and flying. I don't know if it was adrenaline or what, but at 3am after flying for 19 hours and my friend asleep in the back, I felt wide awake and incapable of sleeping. But the second we switched and I was in the right seat, I fell asleep immediately.

My best friend is the same way, she's always out cold by the time I'm done with my run-up. She tells me I should take it as a compliment that she trusts me not to kill her... So I guess you should take it as one too lol.

I do ;)

We were headed back home (only 19 miles) and she was asleep again.
Just to test her, I did a touch n go. She didn't wake up. It was awesome.

Back