Is it Brake fluid?

Also, if you ever fly a plane that has the vent tubes sticking out of the cap, never face the vent aft, it has to point forward.

If anyone comes across and new fuel cap and you don't need the chain, please mail me the chain.

A properly designed fuel cap system has a SS security chain and T bar in the tank so the cap can't leave the plane(without serious finagling). :wink2:

It is really there to drag dirt into the fuel tank.

If anyone comes across and new fuel cap and you don't need the chain, please mail me the chain.

asod.com prolly has a dozen of them for sale. Pretty cheap I'm sure.

With no cap on the tank, would the air over the top, suck the fuel out?
Could be bad if it does but also causes the sensor to read full.

Airplanes with rubber bladder tanks can get sucked right dry if the cap is left off. The pressure atop the wing is lower than the pressure inside the wing, so the bladder collapses toward the open filler and squeezes all the fuel out. To make things worse, it also lifts the fuel sender's float so that the gauge reads full.

Dan

Also note that on something like your typical Cessna with the fuel selector on BOTH it can suck the fuel out of both tanks.

Also note that on something like your typical Cessna with the fuel selector on BOTH it can suck the fuel out of both tanks.

Also it increases your chances of vapor lock. Not a major factor at sea level, but a high mountain takeoff, you might lose fuel flow to you engine.

My bladder tanks have snap retainers. I don't think the bladder will lift much but I know for sure the sender arm will. And the opposite tank wasn't affected in my case. I didn't know it at the time but post flight fuel qty was what had been indicated in that one. I did switch from off to left tank (the capped tank) but still the final three miles over that cold ocean water had my full attention.

Back