Is it bad when your primary care physician stops by your house?

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
Good friend who happens to be my PCP called yesterday and asked if he and his wife could stop by the house. He gave me some bad news..... He is retiring at the end of May. :(

So I think I am going to schedule a Basic Med physical for the middle of May even though I had one last year and kick the can down the road an extra year. Guess I need to find someone new who does them around here in the middle of nowhere.

I guess there is always a chance the LSA rules might change in the next four years to include heavier aircraft. I could get a medical again but just not eager to jump through the FAA hoops, be subject to their ridiculously slow response rate, and the always looming chance if they arbitrarily decide you are not fit to fly you are done for good.

That’s unfortunate news, not BAD news... scared me to death!

Where’s the middle of nowhere?

Western NY. I know people think of NY they think NYC but where I am we are 40-45 minutes from the closest Walmart. The closest 3 color stop light is over 20 miles away.

I guess there is always a chance the LSA rules might change in the next four years to include heavier aircraft. I could get a medical again but just not eager to jump through the FAA hoops, be subject to their ridiculously slow response rate, and the always looming chance if they arbitrarily decide you are not fit to fly you are done for good.

I'm confused. If you have Basic Med you can fly planes that aren't light sport as long as it's under 250kts, 6 seats or less, and 6000lbs or less. Unless by heavier you meant King Airs.

I'm confused. If you have Basic Med you can fly planes that aren't light sport as long as it's under 250kts, 6 seats or less, and 6000lbs or less. Unless by heavier you meant King Airs.

Simply stating if they made the LSA weight higher I wouldn't even have to worry about the basic med stuff not that it is very onerous. I am happy to have it as an option and I believe it makes us safer over all. Speaking for myself I am much less hesitant to seek medical attention now that I don't have to get the FAA involved every time.

My PCP retired at the end of 2021. A new doc had recently moved to the area, so I scheduled a phone call with him. One of the questions I asked was whether he would do a Basic Med physical, and he said he would.

I went through 3 very good AMEs.

2 retired and 1 died.

It is getting harder and harder to find good ones.

Good friend who happens to be my PCP called yesterday and asked if he and his wife could stop by the house. He gave me some bad news..... He is retiring at the end of May. :(

So I think I am going to schedule a Basic Med physical for the middle of May even though I had one last year and kick the can down the road an extra year. Guess I need to find someone new who does them around here in the middle of nowhere.

I just went through the same thing. Good friend, PCP, retired. I think the thing to do is to go to whatever doctor your retiring PCP is using personally, and ask the PCP to put in a good word for BasicMed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back