Is fuel price really a valid reason to pick a stopover?

Is fuel price really a valid reason to pick a stopover?

• Yep.

Votes: 70 84.3%
  • Nope.

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
Unlike Dans2992, however, I'll go to KHWD when I go to Vegas. Just not enough of a difference in time and cost savings outside fuel to justify paying $3-4 more per gallon. I don't care about pretty FBOs, but I don't like pumping my own gas either, cause I'm bad at it.

Long Uber ride from HWD to Vegas.

Unlike Dans2992, however, I'll go to KHWD when I go to Vegas. Just not enough of a difference in time and cost savings outside fuel to justify paying $3-4 more per gallon.

Hayward? To go to Vegas? That's a hike. I'm guessing you meant KHND? ;)

Same here. It ended up being the cost of ground transportation being significantly lower than the fees at KLAS that did it for me.

I don't care about pretty FBOs, but I don't like pumping my own gas either, cause I'm bad at it.

IMO, teaching pilots how to fuel a plane is the #1 thing that should be taught in private pilot training that isn't in the PTS/ACS. Primarily because I think there have likely been crashes where a fuel stop was skipped because they weren't comfortable with self serve, but it has the nice side effect of enabling cheaper flying. I save over $2/gal by going to a nearby field and pumping the gas myself when I fuel up. Since I'm usually buying 80 gallons or so and it's close by, the extra flight time more than pays for itself... Plus I get to fly more! :)

Yeah yeah, I messed that up, though there was a legit HWD reference :p

Same here. It ended up being the cost of ground transportation being significantly lower than the fees at KLAS that did it for me.

IMO, teaching pilots how to fuel a plane is the #1 thing that should be taught in private pilot training that isn't in the PTS/ACS. Primarily because I think there have likely been crashes where a fuel stop was skipped because they weren't comfortable with self serve, but it has the nice side effect of enabling cheaper flying. I save over $2/gal by going to a nearby field and pumping the gas myself when I fuel up. Since I'm usually buying 80 gallons or so and it's close by, the extra flight time more than pays for itself... Plus I get to fly more! :)

Oh, I will self serve when I need to or when it is a substantial savings. When it is only a 50 cent difference, I'm happy to have someone else handle it.

I rent wet too. But I do have to pay the difference between home airport price and the price at the other airport though.
I don't see why places that charge that way don't just rent dry.

That's sure not true here in the West.

I've found that in nearly every case, when you need someone at a tiny middle-of-nowhere airport, they seem to show up. And if the first guy isn't an A&P, he knows where to find one.

The only place I've ever been where I've never seen another soul is Greybull, WY. Awful lot of ghosts there, though...

I've found that in nearly every case, when you need someone at a tiny middle-of-nowhere airport, they seem to show up. And if the first guy isn't an A&P, he knows where to find one.

The only place I've ever been where I've never seen another soul is Greybull, WY. Awful lot of ghosts there, though...
"Nearly" every, I could buy.

"Nearly" every, I could buy.

Yep. And that's the point - Lots of people say they're choosing fuel stops based on there being a "mechanic on the field". I'm pointing out that nearly every airport does have a mechanic nearby, but the older shade-tree guys don't exactly have websites or big hangars with lit signs on them... So don't worry about mechanics unless you already know you're going to need one before you land. If you know you're going to need one before you take off, you've got bigger problems. ;)

Sounds like you've had better luck with this than I have.

It depends on the mission to me.

If I'm looking to get to Oshkosh or get home more reliably, I'll pick stopovers with maintenance on-field, rental cars, etc even it has higher gas prices. If I'm just out pooting around with nothing to do the next day and don't mind getting stuck, I'll pick the cheap gas prices.

I'll pick based on a combination of fuel price and convenience. For example, I prefer to land at towered airports on a cross country, even though the gas might be slightly more expensive. Usually a towered airport is in a place with nearby hotels and restaurants, so that makes it an easier choice for me. However, I don't even fuel at my home field since gas is $6/gal, when the uncontrolled airport 6 nm away is $4.50. My favorite landing was KPHX where I was not charged a landing fee and gas was under $5/gal. Dropped off a friend to catch a flight on Southwest and they took him to the terminal.

When your airplane holds over 300 gallons of AVGAS, yes, fuel price is most definitely a key consideration in planning fuel stops. Not the only consideration, but .50 to 1 dollar or more difference can amount to $100-200 savings.

When your airplane holds over 300 gallons of AVGAS, yes, fuel price is most definitely a key consideration in planning fuel stops. Not the only consideration, but .50 to 1 dollar or more difference can amount to $100-200 savings.

Do you have to do any specific diligence for taxiways and tie downs to ensure they’re big enough for the 18?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have to do any specific diligence for taxiways and tie downs to ensure they’re big enough for the 18?
Generally speaking, I don't tie down. The Beech 18 is heavy enough when empty to not worry about getting picked up by the wind and if the wind is likely to be that bad (say over 30 kts), I'm probably not leaving the plane there.

As far as taxiways go, I have found that if the runway is big enough, then taxiways are not typically an issue. My personal minimum is 3000' long, but prefer at least 3500'. The airplane can do less than 3k, but I you really have to be proficient in short field to do it as there is very little room for error.

The one thing I don't generally do is self serve fuel the Twin Beech on the road. While it would save a lot of money, I have found that not all S/S pumps have the same length hose (can't reach all tanks) and I'd potentially have to fuel one side, then start up to turn around to fuel the other side. I do self serve at home since I have a tug and can drive it straight in.

I have used stops that had very cheap fuel and courtesy cars. There are also expensive stops without maint. available but have the flash lobby.

If on an XC, I like a descent facility, with maint and courtesy transportation first then the best fuel price. When you find you butt stranded some place, you will figure it out.
Courtesy car is my determining factor.

Generally speaking, I don't tie down. The Beech 18 is heavy enough when empty to not worry about getting picked up by the wind and if the wind is likely to be that bad (say over 30 kts), I'm probably not leaving the plane there.

As far as taxiways go, I have found that if the runway is big enough, then taxiways are not typically an issue. My personal minimum is 3000' long, but prefer at least 3500'. The airplane can do less than 3k, but I you really have to be proficient in short field to do it as there is very little room for error.

The one thing I don't generally do is self serve fuel the Twin Beech on the road. While it would save a lot of money, I have found that not all S/S pumps have the same length hose (can't reach all tanks) and I'd potentially have to fuel one side, then start up to turn around to fuel the other side. I do self serve at home since I have a tug and can drive it straight in.
Thanks. since it looks like you're about 47' wide (vs 36' for a 182 for everyone's reference), I was wondering how it worked for you to not just land and takeoff at smaller airports, but also taxi/park/fuel as needed. I suppose fuel is less of a big deal because you don't necessarily need fuel every leg so could potentially have a stop (whether for lunch or as part of your trip) at a small airport, but just ensure you end up at a big enough FS airport to add fuel.

That’s a good point. During my ppl I never touched a fuel pump because at KSLC there is no self-serve. And my instructor never bothered to stop us for fuel elsewhere.

Back