Is DIRECT possible in NYC airspace??

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
i have friend I’m planning on picking up at either KHPN or KTEB next week before Christmas weather permitting. I fly out of KHZL in a 182 and was look at FF routing today. One option was direct HPN!? TEB is closer but also closer to the hornets nest. I am IFR rated and prefer flying in the system anyway. HPN appears to be cheaper for a pick up anyway. I am going to double check what is easier for him to get to after work anyway. Bad weather aside I’m looking forward to the trip.

i have friend I’m planning on picking up at either KHPN or KTEB next week before Christmas weather permitting. I fly out of KHZL in a 182 and was look at FF routing today. One option was direct HPN!? TEB is closer but also closer to the hornets nest. I am IFR rated and prefer flying in the system anyway. HPN appears to be cheaper for a pick up anyway. I am going to double check what is easier for him to get to after work anyway. Bad weather aside I’m looking forward to the trip.
You're rarely going to get IFR direct into HPN from anywhere. That said, from HZL you're coming in from a direction that will minimize circuitous routings. Sure, put it in Direct, but my guess is your clearance will look something like SAX V188 NYACK if you're lucky. If you're less lucky, it will follow V39 or V623 from SAX. I also find filing for a lower altitude helps shorten the detours.

HPN is a good airport to fly into. I usually try to fly VFR (with flight following od course) when possible because IFR routings in the northeast can add significant time to the flight, particularly from the DC area (where I' coming from).

You do realize airspace has rush hours just like highways.

I have always flown into KHPN and always avoided KTEB. Signature is really nice there now.

File for your lowest possible altitude inbound because that’s where you end up anyway. Take what they give you but expect shortcuts in the air.

You probably have experience with NY ATC. Best around in my opinion but be on your toes and don’t miss any calls. Great IFR practice no matter the weather.

Outbound you’ll fly higher. Again take what they give you but expect shortcuts enroute. Sometimes you’ll get in a long line of departures or an extended hold for release. Other times, boom boom and your out.

KHZT should be a POC. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You could start out IFR and if NYC is VFR, cancel. Keep FF and request Hudson River Skyline routing, noting KHPN as final destination. EWR will hand you off to LGA, as you proceed north and eventually to NY Departure/Approach, who will hand off to HPN.

This should avoid you having to be turned northwest around the back side of EWR and it’s more scenic.

I’m going to probably plan to do KHPN IFR then.
There are two potential dates. One during day. One during night. If the night one will be IMC I’ll scrub the flight. Don’t feel like doing single engine IMC at night
As much as I’d like KTEB with proximity that would be a trip I’d take a my CFI on first anyway.
Looking forward to the trip as I have wanted to fly that airspace for awhile. If during day I’ll take the Hudson skyline at night probably will stay north

Back