Is Colonoscopy Surgery?

U

Unregistered

Filling out the 8500-8 on the FAA's Medxpress program and I was wondering if a colonoscopy would be considered surgery for question "18 x" "Any other illness, disability or surgery"? I had one about 4.5 years ago no problems found. On my last medical after the Colonoscopy I put down that I saw the GI doc for a colonoscopy where I'm supposed to write doctor visits in the past 3 years but I did not list it the box "x" on question 18 under medical history. I never thought of it as surgery. I declared it as a Dr. Visit but not surgery. A Doc friend said its a "procedure" Perhaps I'm just being a bit neurotic but I want to make sure I report everything accuratly.

It is not "surgery" the way the FAA uses the term. You reported it as required on the first medical application after it happened. End of story. Basically, unless they cut a hole in you, it isn't "surgery".

If they diagnosed a problem during the colonoscopy you may have to report it.

Colonoscopy's are procedures as far as I know. Some Drs order them on a regular basis,depending on family history,or medical history. I hope they are covered under regular physicals. What you say dr Bruce.

If they diagnosed a problem during the colonoscopy you may have to report it.
You have to report a colonoscopy even if they find nothing of interest. It's a visit to a health professional, and that alone makes it a mandatory report. However, unless they went in from the front instead of the back, it ain't "surgery" for FAA purposes.

You have to report a colonoscopy even if they find nothing of interest. It's a visit to a health professional, and that alone makes it a mandatory report. However, unless they went in from the front instead of the back, it ain't "surgery" for FAA purposes.

As described by my AME, the procedure is a "Screening" until they find and remove what they went looking for. Then it becomes surgery, they will have you sign a permission form for them to remove any polyps they find during the Screening

As described by my AME, the procedure is a "Screening" until they find and remove what they went looking for. Then it becomes surgery, they will have you sign a permission form for them to remove any polyps they find during the Screening
They removed a benign polyp on my first one. I reported it as just another doctor visit in the doctor visits block, listing what they did, without mentioning it under the "surgery" block. Nobody in Aeromedical seemed concerned. Frankly, as long as you report it under Explanations along with what they found, I'm pretty sure they won't care much which box you checked.

FAA doesn't care. It's either a doctor visit or a procedure. Put it someplace and the AME will quiz you, and put his comments in his box.

They removed a benign polyp on my first one. I reported it as just another doctor visit in the doctor visits block, listing what they did, without mentioning it under the "surgery" block. Nobody in Aeromedical seemed concerned. Frankly, as long as you report it under Explanations along with what they found, I'm pretty sure they won't care much which box you checked.

My AME is my family Dr. and that is pretty much how he told me to handle it too. 4 more years before I worry about it again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back