Is a rate of climb table provided on the written?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
When I take the Instrument written exam, will a rate of climb table be provided for when I come across questions dealing with that area? The Study Buddy app that I downloaded does not provide one, though one is provided in the Gleim book (on a separate page).

Study Buddy does provide a table. It's Figure 16 in the PDF. Look for the "Download All Figures" button near the bottom of the page when you get to the spot where you choose between Learning Mode, Flashcard Mode and Test Mode.

(I just went there and verified the chart is there... on page 16 of the PDF. http://sportys.content.edgesuite.net/onlinecourse/documents/InstrumentWrittenSupp.pdf)

That said, I just found it easier to do the math myself. Ground speed / 60 x the required climb rate.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned the Study Buddy app. I did all of my studying in a browser, so sent you that route. I have no idea if/where it's provided in the app. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
To specifically answer the question, lots of stuff from the front of the AF/D and the approach plate books are provided in the supplemental figures book for the test including the roc table.

Of course, you ought to be able to work it out yourself anyhow.

To specifically answer the question, lots of stuff from the front of the AF/D and the approach plate books are provided in the supplemental figures book for the test including the roc table.

Becoming familiar with what is in the supplement and where to find it is a VERY good idea. Can save you lots of grief, and surprisingly, a number of question answers are contained within the information Ron mentions.

Another question is do they provide anything that provides info on slant letters (the letters you enter on a flight plan based on which type of navigation instruments you're equipped with).

Another question is do they provide anything that provides info on slant letters (the letters you enter on a flight plan based on which type of navigation instruments you're equipped with).

Have you familiarized yourself with the test supplement? (Therein lies your answer)

Have you familiarized yourself with the test supplement? (Therein lies your answer)

Well, the Gleim book refers me to a page that virtually gives away the answer (legend 26), so hopefully yes.

Well, the Gleim book refers me to a page that virtually gives away the answer (legend 26), so hopefully yes.

Post #2 provides a link to the supplement.

And you can dig about on the FAA.gov site and might be able to see a PDF copy of it.

Back