Is a quick stop for lunch on Mackinac feasible?

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
We'd like to fly in and check it out, but we don't have time for more than a leisurely lunch. Is this practical / worth it?

Last edited:
The airport is not next to anything. It’s a 30? Minute walk from town. If you had bikes that would make it fast. Horse carriage taxi can be faster - You’ll have to call ahead.

Just depends on your definition of quick. Stopping in for lunch is for sure possible. You may have to wait 20 min + or - for the horse buggy. If you land at 10-11 and want to depart by 2-3 then I’d say it’s reasonable. Could be quicker during the week.

No expert. Just been a few times.

Just depends on your definition of quick. Stopping in for lunch is for sure possible. You may have to wait 20 min + or - for the horse buggy. If you land at 10-11 and want to depart by 2-3 then I’d say it’s reasonable. Could be quicker during the week.

No expert. Just been a few times.
Thanks, that’s what I was looking for. We’re leaving Muskegon in the morning for Manistique and don’t want to get in too late. Sounds like it might work out. It will be during the week, but only a few days before Memorial Day weekend.....

If you have any better suggestions, I’m all ears, will be our first time flying in MI.

It’s easy breezy like every other uncontrolled airport. I’d land, walk to the FBO and pay/call the horse buggy, tie the plane while waiting and then it should be there. There’s a nice restaurant just past the Grand called the Gate House that’s pretty good. Then they will call the buggy back to the airport if you want.

You could ask the buggy driver for the long way back to show some scenes if you have time.

May could coordinate the buggy for your arrival time...not sure about that.

If you have any better suggestions, I’m all ears, will be our first time flying in MI.
It’s definitely a fantastic stop and highly recommend. If time is critical, there are some other Northern Michigan options. If you’re looking for anything in that part of the country: Harbor Springs is a nice town and KMGN is friendly. Quick courtesy car into town - couple good restaurants.

Also Charlevoix is a storybook town that can be accessed via KCVX. I’ve never been to that airport but the town is nice. I also hear the restaurant at KPLN is supposed to be good (haven’t been to that one either).

PLN has a nice restaurant right in the terminal...good pizza!
83D has the coolest courtesy car ever: a late seventies green station wagon with a big V8, in excellent condition. Everybody in town knows it’s the courtesy car, so no matter which restaurant you choose in st ignace, they know you came from the airport.
I wouldn’t consider mackinaw island a quick stop...too far from airport to town.

We'd like to fly in and check it out, but we don't have time for more than a leisurely lunch. Is this practical / worth it?
You can call the airport on the unicom 15 minutes out and they can order a taxi for you If pressed for time. Normally we walk into town but take a taxi back when we become tired.

I did years back, weather was moving in later that day. It’s an easy 25 min +/- walk to town, a few sights, eat & walk back.

Well, the weather in southern Michigan kinda turned to crap, so we left a day early and are staying on Mackinac for the night. Very surprised that we were able to book a place same day.

if I’m not too late and you are flying back down the mitten on the way home- Boyne City is a great gas stop- always good prices 24/7 gas and they mail ya the bill! Good restaurant on field at Pelston if you need a turn n burn bite. If you don’t mind the water and cross out to the Manitou Islands there’s some visible shipwrecks just south of south Maintou.

Back