Should I try?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
I

Is a medical possible?

About 11 years ago I was encouraged my my university professor to go be tested for adhd. I ended up being tested (during the test his kid ran around and loud music was on and I was sleep deprived)…well the results came back and I was told I had adhd.

This lead me to go to a psychiatrist that automatically prescribed me adderall. Well that didn’t work so well and the medicine made me feel depressed and anxious. The work around the doctor suggested is for me to take benzodiazepines, and an SSRI to curb off the bad effects from the adhd medicine. Well years pass by I try to switch different medicines often because the adhd stimulants just kept making me feel worse.

Eventually I stopped taking the medicine 10 years later. Without the adhd medicine I neither have depression or anxiety. Been about 6 months now and I do well with my job and don’t know why I just kept taking medicine for so long when it seemed to be the room of my problems.

Now recently I have considered aviation as a career field. I am 34 this year which I hope is not considered too old. I know that my past is going to reflect hard on my medical examination. My current doctor concluded also that everything was mostly likely a result from how my body reacted from the stimulants. So is it possible I can be tested and show I don’t have adhd and show I don’t take any psychological medications and that most likely my problems were tied to those factors and get a certificate?

Ugh. you are going to have to check box 18(m) yes. Sigh. (The pharmacy records are in the insurance databases).

Last edited:
You'll have to PROVE that adhd won't affect your abilities to operate an aircraft safely. In all likelihood, you'll be required to see a HIMS psychiatrist and upon passing THAT evaluation, you'll probably be sent to see a HIMS neuropsychologist for another evaluation which will include the dreaded cogscreen. My vote would be a Yes *if you can 1)Pass
and
2) Afford it

Now recently I have considered aviation as a career field.

There are many, many careers in aviation besides being a pilot. Would you be content to fly for recreation (a Sport Pilot or a glider certificate does not require a medical) and do some other aviation job for money?

If so, do NOT go for a medical exam. Getting a denial will rule out Sport Pilot.

If not, seek out a top-notch AME (contact @bbchien or @lbfjrmd or @WingmanMed [or maybe all three]) and get some serious professional advice on what a medical is going to entail. Do this as a consultation, without applying, so if it appears too daunting you can still fall back on SP.

Be prepared to spend lots of time and lots and LOTS of money. You have a very steep hill to climb and this is likely to take a year or two and cost many thousands of dollars, with no guarantee that you will ultimately be successful.

Last edited:
You might consider a "consultation" with an AME who could give you a clearer picture of where you stand and what you need to do without doing the actual MedXpress application.

How much would you recommend saving up before I start the long process.

What are your goals? Airline pilot? Crop duster? CFI? Pleasure flying?
If the first, then the cost of getting your medical will disappear in the noise. If the latter, don't go to an AME at all, and become a sport pilot.
$3-5K would be on the low end just to get your medical, and if you fail, you cannot even fly LSAs.
But the cost of getting even your private will be double that, or more.

Were I you (and I’m not), I’d set aside $20k to get through the medical and Private Pilot certificate. I think that would be pretty conservative, and whatever’s left can go toward the rest of your training.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back