Is a DG a requirement of Airworthyness?

:mad2::mad2::mad2:..

You are arguing with yourself within two sentences of your own post....

Isn't there two issues in the scenario ? When did they discover the discrepancy? When should they have discovered it?

It would be for a DG in a light single with an old AN 1 gyro. because that is the only thing a pilot can do.
The fact that it's the only thing a non-mechanic pilot can do legally is not why it's an acceptable method. The fact that there is no risk of any other problems developing if that's all you do with that particular type of instrument is. However, there are other types of instruments where merely putting a cover over it without truly deactivating or removing it could result in a serious problem in flight. In those cases, something beyond covering the instrument must be done in order for the aircraft to be considered airworthy -- even if that means the pilot must retain the services of a qualified mechanic to do the deactivating.

The fact that it's the only thing a non-mechanic pilot can do legally is not why it's an acceptable method. The fact that there is no risk of any other problems developing if that's all you do with that particular type of instrument is. However, there are other types of instruments where merely putting a cover over it without truly deactivating or removing it could result in a serious problem in flight. In those cases, something beyond covering the instrument must be done in order for the aircraft to be considered airworthy -- even if that means the pilot must retain the services of a qualified mechanic to do the deactivating.

We were not talking other instruments. The AN 1 Gyro is a basic vac driven instrument that has no method of turning it off other than disconnecting the hoses, which constitutes a maintenance action and must be logged and returned to service. Unless a pilot has the authority to do that, all they can do in this case is to hide the instrument, and post it is not working.
If you are required by common sense to do any action to render the instrument inoperative other than turning it off and tagging it out, you are doing maintenance.

So yes you correct, any thing over and above tagging it out requires an authorized person to deactivate the instrument. (like I've said prior)

Last edited:
I don't want to gravedig this post but I just wanted to update that I am having a second mechanic look at it. It's disappointing that the first mechanic ignored me when I said that the DG wasn't working saying that it was probably "just cold" and then when it was having serious issues said I needed to replace it... $700 + installation later... it's still not working.

Luckily with the input from this forum I am less likely to have to repeat such an expensive maintenance problem.

I don't want to gravedig this post but I just wanted to update that I am having a second mechanic look at it. It's disappointing that the first mechanic ignored me when I said that the DG wasn't working saying that it was probably "just cold" and then when it was having serious issues said I needed to replace it... $700 + installation later... it's still not working.

Luckily with the input from this forum I am less likely to have to repeat such an expensive maintenance problem.

Smart move....:yes:

Back