Is a Commercial Airline Pilot a good profession nowadays?

Jason Oliver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
baaaark
I'm not saying I wanna be one (I don't even know how to fly yet!), but I am curious. I've heard some say the amount of pilots is dwindling, yet I see airline companies cutting down their staff also. I just didn't know if being a commercial pilot is a good thing or bad thing right now...

Get a Job you like that you can make some money at and fly for fun.
It would be easier to get picked for the NBA draft than make any money flying.
A friend runs a Charter Jet service. He ran an ad for a 1st Officer and received
over 65 applications. Many Applicants had 5000 or more hours.
A few offered to fly for free for a chance at Captain!
An MBA will serve you much better in life and you can fly for fun if you like.
I am sure someone will jump in and disagree but I am giving you the real world!
Sorry.
Not I. Put your effort into an academic career that will reward you with a profitable and emotionally stimulating career. Then, spend your reward learning to fly.

Or, you could end up like a few students of mine.. successful men who now train to obtain a more reasonable way to travel for their work around the region. Then, there's the oil company executive who went from looking at 182's to Super Decathlons after he got a taste at aerobatics. :)

A friend runs a Charter Jet service. He ran an ad for a 1st Officer and received
Sorry.

No apologies needed. I figure any career that doubles as a hobby is difficult to get into. I just had NO CLUE, that's all. Besides, I am of the mindset that a hobby should be kept a hobby and a job a job. Otherwise the lines of work and play start blurring, and everything seems like work (and its never the other way around, either).

I'm pretty set on going into computer networking. But I am one of these people who is obsessed with knowledge. Thank you.

Jason,

the whole work vs. play thing is definitely a factor in going for the commercial flying stuff. I think its a lot of how you handle it. I personally have a lot of fun when I fly for hire. It probably helps that im not doing the same boring flight over and over again.

The industry is pretty well agreed that there is a serious looming pilot shortage worldwide, and the opportunities for anyone entering the profession are excellent if they can afford the training to get in the door. We will never again see the dramatically inflated salaries of the 20th century for major air carrier captains, but we will see reasonable pay for the job. The life will continue to be difficult, but for those willing to do it, this will remain a great alternative to working for a living.

The industry is pretty well agreed that there is a serious looming pilot shortage worldwide,...We will never again see the dramatically inflated salaries of the 20th century for major air carrier captains, but we will see reasonable pay for the job.

You would think that supply vs. demand would have more effect than it apparently has.

You would think that supply vs. demand would have more effect than it apparently has.

(Warning: Potential Spin Zone material ahead)

I think a couple of factors are keeping wages depressed:

1) Tradition -- there is a built-in bias towards low pay in exchange for hours and experience. "That's how it works" is the mentality of the employer and many employees.

2) High Barriers to Entry -- It's very difficult for a new CFI to buy up several airplanes and start his/her own flight school. Capital is required to fund the operating costs (insurance, fuel) as well as the fixed costs. There are still enough new CFI's willing to work for low pay due to #1, thus completing the cycle. Couple this with the typical new CFI profile (young, inexperienced, heading to the regionals ASAP) -- it's perceived and treated as an entry-level job and entry-level is lowest pay.

3) H1B Visa -- The H1B visa took care of skyrocketing Computer Programmer salaries in the late 90s. Remember Y2K? Plenty of ridiculous fear mongering -- mostly a scam to help open the floodgates of cheap labor to replace "high priced American" labor. This worked out fine for Chase-Manhattan, Merrill Lynch, and every Insurance company, but not so good for US SW Development firms.

Remember the Time magazine articles about programmers living large, taking their dogs to work, playing ping-pong and foos-ball? Thousands of "guest worker" visas were issued to flood the ranks of large corporate software development departments. After 2000, many of those workers went home, set up small coding houses, and are now "offshore software development" centers.

As an ATP I know once told a youngster who was awestruck by the flight deck of a bizjet:
"You'd be better off doing what you can to be sitting back there, not up here!"

;)

But he's happy enough, because he loves flying and he's got enough skills and ambition to earn money outside of his "day job".

I'm not saying I wanna be one (I don't even know how to fly yet!), but I am curious. I've heard some say the amount of pilots is dwindling, yet I see airline companies cutting down their staff also. I just didn't know if being a commercial pilot is a good thing or bad thing right now...

Jay, the airline biz is extreemly volitale right now (Even for the airline biz). It has always been a feast or famine situation for pilots. There are forces in play that have perminently changed the industry as others on this thread have noted.
You are observant to notice that all but a few companies have anounced staff reductions. On the other hand the military is cranking out less pilots and there are fewer people learning how to fly.
Go out and take some lessons and see how you like it. Also, have a backup career just in case.
Aside from the airlines I have 3 friends who make a decent living (6 figure salary, DC plan, realistic scheduling, etc.) flying biz jets. Just something else to consider. Good luck
FB

oops, forgot to ad that right now there is a record number of pilots leaving the industry for other careers. This is partly ofset by the new retirement age (65 instead of 60 for part 121 operations). Once again, good luck

Last edited:
I wanted nothing more than to be an airline pilot growing up as a kid. But as I was watching the World Trade Center collapse I knew I was also watching my hope and dreams collapse, not that I couldnt get an airline job,but that the "good ol days" were pretty mutch over concering the admired life style. I now fly corporately and I have pretty much concluded that the good quality of life has migrated largely to corporate aviation. My advide to you is if you want to fly for a paycheck, be prepared for a culture shock if you go to an airline, it isnt the lifestyle you might think. Starting pay is 20k a year and you will likley be on reserve for quite a while meaning low predictability in schedule and not so many days off. Good luck if you are married. I did the airline thing and quickly got the hell out of there. I would rather build my time with a lifestyle that offers not having to live on food stamps.Southwest and Allegiant Airlines are now my goal once my PIC turbine time is in the bag. My advice to you would to try and get a corporate gig first since you will add a tremendous amount of customer service to your resume. A bunch of airlines guys are looking for corporate gigs right now (Netjets) but are having trouble getting hired since they dont have much corporate experience. Its WAY more than just flying the airplane. But, if you get some corp. experience first then make your way to a good airline, it will be easy to go back if you need to. In conclusion, the airline profession still has its bright spots but it is still a race to the bottom as airlines figure out how to deal with high fuel prices and an over-abundance of 50 seat jets that make no money. I am hopefull that the industry will regain its glamour, but for now it doesnt have much to offer.good luck to you

This has always been a rough career field. Not much new about the current times. Maybe from the late '50s to the early '80s was an ok time, but outside that era, it's been traditionally horrible.

As an ATP I know once told a youngster who was awestruck by the flight deck of a bizjet:
"You'd be better off doing what you can to be sitting back there, not up here!"
While that is true, I've asked various passengers who have expressed interest in the airplane and flying in general if they have ever thought of learning to fly small airplanes themselves. Almost all of them say that they would like to do so but are unable to make the time commitment they know that it takes. They are certainly able to afford it financially.

When it comes to jobs for pilots, there are quite a few other options than working for the airlines. It's just that the airlines swallow up a big percentage of the pilots available and that is usually the first thing which comes to mind as a job. Aviation is a rough and competitive business as well as being very seductive. As far as the work vs. play thing goes, I've always gravitated towards things which I thought I would enjoy rather than things which I thought would make me a lot of money although I've been lucky and have never had to starve. But that's just me. In any case, if you decide to make a living doing it you need to approach it as a job first with all the baggage that comes along with it. I've had the opportunity to do a lot of cool things in my job but there are also the other times...

There are a lot of good pilots pounding the pavement right now.
ApacheBob

a good way to build hours would be flying banners. I've seen a lot more flying around lately, so I'm thinking the banner business is going up.

a good way to build hours would be flying banners. I've seen a lot more flying around lately, so I'm thinking the banner business is going up.
How much is one paying to banner operators these days for the privelage to fly banners and get hours?

BTW check out this post
http://forums.jetcareers.com/airlin...fore-working-for-this-banner-tow-company.html

Be careful what you sign up for.

The average wage around the Chicago area for banner tow is $20/hr. There are a few operations around. Depending on wher eyou live there may be more

Last edited:
Sorry.

A pretty cool job might be to work for Cessna, Cirrus or some VLJ companies, not as a pilot, but as a technical or engineering staff. I would be surprised if they don't have big discounts on flying.

A pretty cool job might be to work for Cessna, Cirrus or some VLJ companies, not as a pilot, but as a technical or engineering staff. I would be surprised if they don't have big discounts on flying.
I was talking to someone at Gastons (another guest, not affiliated with the fly-in) who worked for Cessna. He said that he could fly a Cessna club 172 for about $50/hr WET. IIRC, it was a G-1000 model, but I can't swear to that.

Back