Iraqi Air Force plane makes emergency landing on Venus

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Lt. Ken Johnson said that he could not identify the plane or what it was doing, saying it was "of a military nature" and the details were classified, but the plane reported engine problems at approximately 2:30 p.m. while flying between undisclosed locations in the Tampa area toward Miami. No injuries or damages to the plane or any ground structures were reported.

A caller, who declined to be identified, said that the plane had print on it identifying it as belonging to the Iraqi Air Force. Johnson confirmed that the plane had that label, but said the F.B.I. and the Department of Homeland Security told him it was actually owned by the U.S. military and not by Iraq.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/feb/20/breaking-news-military-aircraft-makes-emergency-la/

Some guys on the way to Gitmo got to see America.

article comment said:
It was a CIA drug plane bringing in dope to peddle to the citizens. Everyone knows it already, lets just admit it, prosecute the agency members involved, and declare a REAL victory for the war on drugs already!

I knew it. The best way to sneak drugs across the border in a slow ASEL with Iraqi AF markings. I suppose armament consist of a 12-gauge with road flares and 5 rolls of aluminum foil as counter measures.:D

I knew it. The best way to sneak drugs across the border in a slow ASEL with Iraqi AF markings. I suppose armament consist of a 12-gauge with road flares and 5 rolls of aluminum foil as counter measures.:D

What could it possibly mean that the article is gone? ;)

That they've updted the article to include photos and more information. http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/fe...ry-aircraft-makes-emergency-la/?news-breaking
Paper and silver foil covered several parts of the plane on its right side.
The plane does not resemble any of the aircraft listed in an inventory of Iraqi air force equipment provided by the military-focused Web site and think tank GlobalSecurity.org.
Uhhh... Looks like a Cessna to me! :)
0221downplane.jpg

"We've worked plane crashes before but nothing that has started out as a military secret event, then turned into a military contractor testing out a plane," Benton said. "Early on, there was a real scurry."
Why do civilian registration markings make it a military plane???

Why do civilian registration markings make it a military plane???
There was a comment on the article purportedly from the person who first called 911 that it actually had the words "Iraqi Air Force" on the fuselage.

I was the first person to call 911 to report this plane yesterday. I arrived right after the pilot landed in the middle of the road. A couple things you might not be able to tell from the picture....the plane was painted a very dull gray. The large covered up square on the side of the plane did in fact say in large letters IRAQI AIR FORCE. The story as written corresponds to what the pilot said during the call to 911 on my phone. He also stated there were 3 planes, and the other 2 continued on when he had to make the emergency landing. The plane had none of the markings or registration numbers that american aricraft are required to have. Overall I would say the biggest concern would be... if the pilot notified the FAA and local air traffic controllers as he said he did...how come no one had notified the local law enforcement agencies? The very beginning of my 911 call was just trying to convince them that in fact an Iraqi plane had landed in the middle of the road I was driving on. Sounds like communications between agencies is still an issue....so sad. Excellent reporting on location and information!!!!

Oh, wow; I didn't catch that.

There's nothing stopping any of us from painting our Cessnas in military colors, of course:
C150.jpg

The guy from Cesna stated it was a 172 Skyhawk.... Hmmm.... Can't say as I've seen any 172's with 3 bladed props! I guess it could be some part of the STC for the diesel motor....

Back