IRA, FII, IGI knowledge Test

thusitha1986

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
Sir/Ma’am,
I just took my Instrument Rating Airplane knowledge test week ago. I was told that I can take my FII (Flight instructor instrument) and IGI (Instrument ground instructor) same time as well. Cause the test are the same. How credible is that information. Oh by the way, I am planning on getting my Commercial, CFI, and CFII within two years or even less)

Please let me know what you think. :dunno:

Thank You.

Sir/Ma’am,
I just took my Instrument Rating Airplane knowledge test week ago. I was told that I can take my FII (Flight instructor instrument) and IGI (Instrument ground instructor) same time as well. Cause the test are the same. How credible is that information. Oh by the way, I am planning on getting my Commercial, CFI, and CFII within two years or even less)

Please let me know what you think. :dunno:

Thank You.

The question banks are quite similar. On the IGI you may see some weird helicopter questions but that's it. If you plan on doing your CFII in the next two years you might as well do it now why the material is still fresh.

If you plan on getting the CFII within the next 2 years, get the FII done while you're at it. The questions come from the same bank and the FII is actually a bit easier at only 50 questions.

Roger that sir,

I was bit worried about if they’re going to be any teaching questions and stuff like that.
What if I want to get my IGI? Will they ask about helicopter questions? If they do, how do I study for it? Should I just study the instrument flying handbook helicopter portion for that?

What if I want to get my IGI? Will they ask about helicopter questions? If they do, how do I study for it? Should I just study the instrument flying handbook helicopter portion for that?

Don't worry about it. You might get one, or two if you're really unlucky. Just guess.

Remember that your ground instructor test scores don't matter as long as you pass, because there's no checkride and no examiner to ask you questions about material you got wrong. I would take the IGI first as "practice" for the CFII (technically called the FII, I believe).

I was bit worried about if they’re going to be any teaching questions and stuff like that.
The teaching questions are all on the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) test.

There may be one or two helo questions, but not enough to fail you if you know all the airplane material. And yes, studying the 20 pages of Chapter 8 of the IFH should probably give you all you need to answer those few helo questions correctly.

I recommend studying the helicopter portion as well. There is information in that chapter that applies to airplanes as well - especially about the VSI for pitch control .

Just took all three exams and passed them. CFII test was little harder than I thought.

Back