IR written passed!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Scored a 93%, missed 4 questions. Some of them came from left field, I studied the whole body of questions, yet a few of them I hadn't seen before. Glad to be done, now I have to fly fly fly...

One note: scary how little of the whole body of IR knowledge those 60 questions test. Scary.

Bill Jennings said:
Scored a 93%, missed 4 questions. Some of them came from left field, I studied the whole body of questions, yet a few of them I hadn't seen before. Glad to be done, now I have to fly fly fly...
Yay Bill!!! :cheerswine:

Is the airplane up and going again?

Bill Jennings said:

One note: scary how little of the whole body of IR knowledge those 60 questions test. Scary.

Congratulations Bill. :cheerswine:

Diana said:
Is the airplane up and going again?

Thanks, everyone. Yes, the plane got back from annual today, so I jumped on the scheduler and grabbed some time slots. Now to call my instructor and get in the air...

Great job. Actually, the written is just a hoop through which one jumps. The questions can all be memorized--witness my two 100%s which have nothing to do with anything.

The proof is in the oral and flight test.

But I'm sounding like an jerk--congratulations on passing the written! Now, don't give up like I almost did!

wangmyers said:
But I'm sounding like an jerk--congratulations on passing the written! Now, don't give up like I almost did!

Don't worry, I knew what you meant. And, no giving up. Giving up IR would be like giving up flying 8 months of the year. (Those at Gastons got a sampling of southeast summer haze)

I'm calling my instructor today with my goal, pass my IR checkride on or before the 1 yr anniversary of my PPL checkride (11/10/04). I need about 21hrs, so I gotta get flying.

Congrats, Bill.

Easy part done, now on to the flying part....

Bill Jennings said:
I'm calling my instructor today with my goal, pass my IR checkride on or before the 1 yr anniversary of my PPL checkride (11/10/04). I need about 21hrs, so I gotta get flying.

Congradulations on passing your written. I made a 93% on mine too . . . . does that make us related in any way :).

I know what you are saying but try not to think of it as needing about 21 hours. I did the same thing and it's not a good way to look at it. My instructor finally told me not to look at it as how many hours you have or need because THAT in itself will not get your IR ticket. You have to get past the amount of hours and concentrate on "proficeincy". Proficeincy is the ONLY thing that is going to get your IR ticket for you. The 40 hours is only a minimum that the FAA requires and is usually not nearly enough.

Good luck and stick with it . . . .

waldo said:
You have to get past the amount of hours and concentrate on "proficeincy". Proficeincy is the ONLY thing that is going to get your IR ticket for you.

Understood. Looking forward to lots of "sweat time" under the hood. Funny how passing these intermediate hurdles fires you up and gets you going again!

Congrats Bill !
By the middle of my checkride, I really started to enjoy the whole thing. Once I relaxed and "got into it" my flying improved greatly. Unless your CFI-I is a bafoon, when you get signed off you ARE ready! Might as well enjoy it. I love flying IFR. Keep us up to date!

Congratulations, Bill. Good job.

Re: Giving up

wangmyers said:
Now, don't give up like I almost did!

I'm trying to convince myself that I haven't given up, but after busting my butt trying to get it done a week after Gaston's (IE before I ran out of vacation) and failing, I haven't flown instruments since. My last instrument flight was July 2nd, the long IFR XC. That flight was mediocre for the first half and then on the 3rd approach everything went to hell in a handbasket. I was so frustrated I didn't even want to fly home, even VFR! I did finish the flight IFR so at least that box is checked off, but I'll probably end up doing it over again anyway.

This is SUCH a frustrating rating! :mad: Being almost done twice and now feeling like I'm just gonna have to start over again really sucks. :( I'm even thinking of doing the commercial first.

flyingcheesehead said:
I'm trying to convince myself that I haven't given up,

Sorry to hear it Kent, but remember it will be all that much sweeter when you get er licked!

Michael said:
great job Bill ! what were the 4 questions?

l

Beats me at this point! I've almost brain dumped the experience! (not really)

I did have two good instrument lessons over the weekend. I really think I'm starting to get this NDB approach stuff.

flyingcheesehead said:
This is SUCH a frustrating rating! :mad: Being almost done twice and now feeling like I'm just gonna have to start over again really sucks. :( I'm even thinking of doing the commercial first.
There is no more rewarding rating. The REASON it's hard is that you have to entirely rewire your brain. That goes by fits and starts. Maybe the best thing for you is a ten day intensive...just get buried in it. NOTHING but NOTHING beats repetition.

You've been at it long enough that you won't suffer much from the intensely learned-soon forgotten syndrome.

No, No, No!

You can do it! You can do it! Remember, I am the "slowest pilot in the world!" I did it!

On your off time, just do some stuff on MSFS--make it as real as possible. Maybe wait til your next vacation time, and block the whole thing out. Schedule your checkride for the the end of the vacation--you'll be surprised how quickly everything comes together!

flyingcheesehead said:
I'm trying to convince myself that I haven't given up, but after busting my butt trying to get it done a week after Gaston's (IE before I ran out of vacation) and failing, I haven't flown instruments since. My last instrument flight was July 2nd, the long IFR XC. That flight was mediocre for the first half and then on the 3rd approach everything went to hell in a handbasket. I was so frustrated I didn't even want to fly home, even VFR! I did finish the flight IFR so at least that box is checked off, but I'll probably end up doing it over again anyway.

bbchien said:
There is no more rewarding rating. The REASON it's hard is that you have to entirely rewire your brain. That goes by fits and starts. Maybe the best thing for you is a ten day intensive...just get buried in it. NOTHING but NOTHING beats repetition.

You've been at it long enough that you won't suffer much from the intensely learned-soon forgotten syndrome.

Hmmm... That Morey adventure is sounding better and better. Unfortunately, I can't spare either the $7,000 or the 10 days right now. :no: However, looking at what I've spent on the IR already (4-5K or so, I think, maybe more) it doesn't look too bad. I want the IR to be done before I'll be able to spare 10 days though! :(

I'll probably try to do a 3-4 day finish-up once I (and my CFI) feel I'm ready. Friday night maneuvers, an approach, and maybe a hold or two; Saturday cross-country with some odd approaches I can't get locally, Sunday a mock checkride or two, and Monday a real checkride.

*feeling better* Must... Go... Flying... :blueplane:

wangmyers said:
You can do it! You can do it! Remember, I am the "slowest pilot in the world!" I did it!

Ben,

You are the most thorough pilot in the world. :yes:

Maybe my goal should be to try to get it done before my next longer XC trip, to LEX in November.

On your off time, just do some stuff on MSFS--make it as real as possible. Maybe wait til your next vacation time, and block the whole thing out. Schedule your checkride for the the end of the vacation--you'll be surprised how quickly everything comes together!

I really need to order the CH Products yoke/rudder/throttle bundle. I wonder if Essco still has the sweet deal on it.

What I'm really trying to do is figure out a way to mount all of the above in such a fashion that I can have a lap-top flight sim! Controls + X-Plane + PowerBook. I don't have any bright ideas yet.

Bill -- I'm way late to this thread. Congratulations!!

Toby said:
Bill -- I'm way late to this thread. Congratulations!!

Toby, hmmm, that name sounds familiar.....

How you been, do you like the new plane?

IR written passed

Bill Jennings said:
Toby, hmmm, that name sounds familiar.....

How you been, do you like the new plane?
I have been whisked off into airplane-owners' world, and I am a little overwhelmed by it all!

I love my new baby -- she's the sweetest to fly. Right now she's in the shop, getting some regular maintenance done -- new alternator belt, lower the struts, a few other things. I flew four times with my former CFI (from my PP days), then he checked me out and I flew once by myself last weekend. The takeoffs and landings are just a little different than they were in the 172, but I think I've got them now. It's a fun airplane even if it doesn't go upside down.

I wish I had time to write a lot more, the way I did in the old days. It feels like a big life change to me. In a way it reminds me of when my daughters were born, and the surprise I felt each morning when I woke up and remembered I had a new baby.

Back