IR Written = frustration sets in

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
:dunno: I was scoring in the mid to upper 80's a few weeks back and put off taking my IR written, now I am frustrated and scoring in low 70's and can't seem to break out of the rut. I am ready for my checkride but of course must complete the written. I'm frustrated and ready to burn my books and use the dvd's for frisbee's. Ok, well not to those extremes yet but I may get there very soon.

I am thinking of taking a week off then a sort of start over by reviewing the King DVD's cleared for the approach and the instrument knowledge courses.

Time for two advils with dinner and cool compress for my vapor locked brain. UGhhhhhhhh...............:confused:

Any suggestions?

I think you have the right idea... cool off for a bit. Maybe engage your brain is some other challenge that is pressure-free, just for fun and to "de-frag".

Gary, I don't put much stock in the pre-tests, at least for me. On both my PP and IR I was scoring in the upper 90's on the pre-tests. Let's just say I passed both and leave it at that. It is frustrating as heck but you'll get through it just fine. BTDT.

I'm in the same situation more or less. Have a hell of a time forcing myself to study that written. One of those things I guess.

Gary,
I'd suggest preparing for the written exam by going through the Gleim's Instrument Pilot FAA written exam. I got 100 on my PP, 100 on my IR and 99 on my CP (would have gotten 100 if I did not go back and changed one question ;-)) mainly by going through the Gleim's books few times then taking on line tests marking down the questions which I missed.
Of course I don't rely solely on the Gleim's books for my aviation knowledges. For each rating, I read about half a dozen training books trying to learn as much as I can. However, I have to credit the Gleim's book for helping me to ace the written exams. Quite a few of FAA's questions have trick answers which at first glance, two or three answers all seem to be correct, but there is only one right choice. The nice thing about the Gleim's book that it gives brief explanation for reason why one should choose a certain answer.
Good luck with the test.

hpl

anything over 70 means you studied too much

:dunno: I was scoring in the mid to upper 80's a few weeks back and put off taking my IR written, now I am frustrated and scoring in low 70's and can't seem to break out of the rut. I am ready for my checkride but of course must complete the written. I'm frustrated and ready to burn my books and use the dvd's for frisbee's. Ok, well not to those extremes yet but I may get there very soon.

I am thinking of taking a week off then a sort of start over by reviewing the King DVD's cleared for the approach and the instrument knowledge courses.

Time for two advils with dinner and cool compress for my vapor locked brain. UGhhhhhhhh...............:confused:

Any suggestions?

This is a good interactive site that's been around for a while:

http://www.exams4pilots.org/

Better yet it's free and requires no registration.

I used it for both my private (over 6 years ago) and for my instrument (2 years ago). I think I had the entire test memorized in both cases by the time I took the writtens. It's a great site and they have the following tests available.

Numbers represent Questions Available out of total number of possible questions

Private Pilot Airplane 579/579
Private Pilot Glider 482/482
Private Pilot Balloon - Gas 393/393
Private Pilot Balloon - Hot Air 424/424
Private Pilot Lighter-Than-Air (Airship) 414/414
Private Pilot Rotorcraft - Gyroplane 510/510
Private Pilot Rotorcraft - Helicopter 545/545
Recreational Pilot Airplane 600/600
Recreational Pilot Gyroplane 531/531
Recreational Pilot Helicopter 566/566
Private Pilot Airplane/Recreational Pilot - Transition 579/579
Private Pilot Gyroplane/Recreational Pilot - Transition 510/510
Private Pilot Helicopter/Recreational Pilot - Transition 544/544

I occasionally go and play on it still. A quick 20 question test is a good refresher.

Last edited:
One word: Gleim. I swear by it (passed the AGI, IGI, and FOI with at least a 98% or better).
"...98% or better"? Show off! :p

We all come across plateaus in our learning and have to be patient while we make it over the hump. Sometimes, you have to walk away from something for a short time and relax your brain.

I was going nuts with the CFI study before Christmas. Nothing was coming together for me all that well. Then, I was down sick for five weeks over Christmas. After the holidays, the gears kicked in and I got the ticket a few weeks later.

I'm not saying it's going to take five weeks but go easy on yourself. Give it a few days, give it a week or whatever you think it takes. But, don't give up.

Tony C's chief pilot is famous for test anxiety and has a great saying about writtens... "Anything better than 70% is showing off."

The guy is a master pilot. He really puts it in perspective for me.

MM

Get a study partner! Nothing gets it going like a little competition. Plus, you have someone to blow off steam with in between study questions.

Get a study partner! Nothing gets it going like a little competition. Plus, you have someone to blow off steam with in between study questions.

Who would want to study with that dope?:rofl:

...give it a week or whatever you think it takes. But, don't give up.

I will NEVER give up!!

Thanks all, just a bit frustrating and I know we all hit those learning plateaus. I'll give it a few days then re-engage, It should be a positive thing.

Mary finally had her procedure done and that has lifted a weight off both our minds that we have carried for two weeks. We now await the report in a few weeks but doctors gave her the thumbs up from what they saw. Maybe all this has blocked out the memory cells, or finished my last few off.

Thanks all for the words of wisdom. I should take my own advice and understand the fact I'm not on this IR lesson island alone, others have passed through too.

Gary, from following your blog and knowing just a tad of the past few weeks you have been going through, I suspect you just need a week or so to refresh and clear your mind. I think the Susquehanna trip would have been a nice refresher for you if the weather cooperated, as it would have given you some more time after that first stop up north.

Glad to hear Mary is doing well. Once things settle, some nice September weather, and you'll be back under the foggles doing your thing.

Take care, and we'll see you soon.

Glad to hear Mary is doing well. Once things settle, some nice September weather, and you'll be back under the foggles doing your thing.Take care, and we'll see you soon.

Thanks for the card and good wishes, Mary thought that was so nice. She did very good today, actually woke up and only spent a short time in recovery.

We are both looking forward to nice wx and some fun flying with our friends. Mary is very excited about the chance to shop in St. Michaels with Becky...........I think we are in deep now! I don't think either of them buy into the weight and balance theory.

Glad you got it,... Had to, it was Snoopy :D

I booked a 172SP from Wings for St. Michaels already... she's saving up.

Time for the weekend cram course -- they are very good at getting you through the knowledge test, which really has very little to do with being a good IFR pilot.

My only problem with the gleim books, is that they work more effectively to put you to sleep than NyQyil :)

My only problem with the gleim books, is that they work more effectively to put you to sleep than NyQyil :)

:yes:

1. After the Comm and CFI if I saw one more....
    1. Tab indented sentence fragment,
    2. I was going to:
      • Throw away the hilighter
      • Tear up some pages
      • Burn some books
    3. But you definitely
      1. Get your money's worth
Though
    1. Don't depend on Gleim books for anything other than
      • The written test prep

I would vote for one of two things which have already been mentioned:
1. Take a week or so and don't look at ANY IR written stuff.
2. Go do a weekend cram course to push you over the edge to get it done.

It sounds like your brain has plateaued as far as learning ability (in regards to IR stuff) for the moment. Our brains are like muscles - if you do the same exercise the same way over and over, eventually the muscle/brain doesn't respond anymore and stops being expanding effectively. You need something different - a different exercise - to shock your brain back into learning mode.

It sounds like your brain has plateaued as far as learning ability (in regards to IR stuff) for the moment.

"It sounds like your brain has plateaued as far as learning ability (in regards to IR stuff)"......The last few weeks that would depend who you ask :eek: in regard to what abilities!

I found a weekend course in NJ. I'm calling them in a few minutes when I stop for lunch.

Aviation Seminars
AIRLINE QUALITY WEEKEND GROUND SCHOOLS

Last edited:
I figure the only way to force yourself to study is to schedule the written. Mine is next Wednesday.

I figure the only way to force yourself to study is to schedule the written. Mine is next Wednesday.

thats my preferred method of getting the studying done.

That's what i did for the PP written. Kept putting it off until I finally just called the testing center to schedule. The nice lady at the school said "just come on in any time!" I made her scedule an appointment for me to make sure I would study.

King got me thorough the written pretty well. I hate written tests IIRC I got a 93 or 96

:yes:

1. After the Comm and CFI if I saw one more....
    1. Tab indented sentence fragment,
    2. I was going to:
      • Throw away the hilighter
      • Tear up some pages
      • Burn some books
    3. But you definitely
      1. Get your money's worth
Though
    1. Don't depend on Gleim books for anything other than
      • The written test prep
:rofl:

Too true.

Gleim is perfect. One chapter a night, then nail 2-3 practice tests a nite for 4-5 days.

I don't think a high score is wasted. I've had fairly quick and painless oral exams (3 tests so far), I'm sure in part due to high written scores. A 70% raises warning flags.

But for now, don't even look at the stuff. Circle a date on the calendar in a week or two and get back at it.

I got the sign off Saturday and scheduled the test for this morning. Between scheduling furniture deliveries and still feeling sick I got my butt in gear and knocked out the test.

I PASSED! Now to get the oral test prep and mock check ride scheduled.....taking my meds and finishing flight plans for NC tomorrow, if I feel better.

CONGRADULATIONS!

Nearing the end,... keep up the good work. I'll get the sign paper and markers ready :yes:

AWESOME Gary!!!

Congrats!
One step closer.

Way to go, Gary! Now, go impress the examiner with your smooth flying and confidence!
________
home made vaporizer

Last edited:
Congrats!! I remember studying for the test myself. I used a combination of Gleim, Sporty's DVD based and bought the Jepp Instrument/Comm book. It was a lot of studying that's for sure...but, with that said, it does unlock many doors for you. I found airplane rentals of anything fast require the IR. It also makes you able to make at least 90% of the trips you plan on!

Congrats and keep chugging away. I'm working on my ASEL Com rating now...fun fun. I got the written done...just need to change gears and study for the Oral and flight.

Mike

Back