IR Training with a Non-typical panel

SteveB

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SteveB
Hey Guys,

I posted on the AOPA ownership section that I am looking into a 1960 Cessna 182c. This plane is equipped for IFR operations. But it is a non-typical panel layout.

I am planning on starting on my Instrument rating with this plane. This leads me to the following questions.

How big of a deal will it be with a different panel layout? I realize when I make a move into a different bird that I will have to rework my scan. Is this something to consider before buying into this particular plane. And, is the fact that it is equipped with the following avionics a red flag.

It is equipped with the following items:
1 – KA134 TSO Panel
1 – KX 155 TSO Nav/Com w/ GS
1 – KX 170 TSO Nav/Com w/GS
1 – 300 ADF
1 – Loran unit

No DME or GPS

The plane is in great condition with a 600 hour Millennium engine, 1999 Paint, 1995 Interior, 5000 TT on airframe and fly’s currently with 4 other owners about 75 hours a year. Buy in is under 5000.00 Mo dues 70.00 Engine 15 per hour.

My experience = 42 hrs PP check ride with currently 85 hours total. 52.4 hours of solo time and 45.2 hours of cross country time

I really think that it is a good deal but maybe I need more opinions.

Thanks, Steve

If you are going to own it, I don't see a problem training in it with the "non standard" panel. Your scan will just get used to that. If you transition to another plane with a "standard" you would probably just want to do some hood work before you go into actual.

I have flown planes with "non-standard" panels and it just takes a little getting used to. IMHO once you know WHAT to scan when, it is just a matter of learning the different position of the instruments. They are giving you the same information just in a different place is all.

As far as the plane, I don't own, but if I did, the only thing I would do is probably put an IFR GPS in it, that would cover the DME and ADF and GPS all in one instrument.
Don't have to put a high dollar 430 in it, a nice little 89B or something like that will do a fine job and will cost quite a bit less.

Mark B.

If that's the plane you're going to fly, it isn't a problem other than for the instructor, who may have to alter somewhat the "standard" scanning techniques normally taught. The only problem may be if you later switch to a standard-T plane, as that may take a bit of getting used to.

The avionics are quite sufficient for IR training. Because an ADF is installed, you must learn ADF operation and NDB approaches and holds in addition to VOR and ILS approaches and holds. Since there is neither DME, GPS, nor autopilot, those won't be covered on the practical test. Since the LORAN is almost certainly not IFR certified, it is a non-issue on the practical test, although you are permitted to use it for "situational awareness." Personally, I'd leave it alone on that, as all it is likely to do is distract you from the required tasks.

Back