IR Setbacks

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Halfway through the IR (was hoping to have the CFI done by early next year) And my CFI has to leave town again for two weeks. This is the third time in 2 months he has left me for a week or longer. Safety pilots are hard to come by out here, but CFIs are even harder to find. Seems like every time he leaves for a week, I end up having to do a whole lesson to get back to where i was before he left. This is definately not good for my training. I have been slacking on the written study. I guess Ill take this time to get that done (Adam, sorry thats taking longer than i thought).

Anyways, just wanted to vent. The training is going ok. I am nailing the approaches, and understand the holds, i just always forget something, like the timer, or fixate too much on one instrument. It will pass.
Hope to join Don and Ed soon as new CFI myself. Watch out kiddies.

You're right about slacking off the slacking on the written part when you don't fly -it's a perfect time. The memory aids like the 8 Ts at the FAF will help if you use them consistently. Best of luck, sounds like you'll be in checkride mode souner than you may think.

Michael said:
Halfway through the IR (was hoping to have the CFI done by early next year) And my CFI has to leave town again for two weeks. This is the third time in 2 months he has left me for a week or longer. Safety pilots are hard to come by out here, but CFIs are even harder to find. Seems like every time he leaves for a week, I end up having to do a whole lesson to get back to where i was before he left. This is definately not good for my training. I have been slacking on the written study. I guess Ill take this time to get that done (Adam, sorry thats taking longer than i thought).

Anyways, just wanted to vent. The training is going ok. I am nailing the approaches, and understand the holds, i just always forget something, like the timer, or fixate too much on one instrument. It will pass.

No sweat Michael! You'll get the IR when you get it. Don't rush it but use the down time to do the written stuff. I remember putting it off as well. Its just more fun to fly.

That sucks, Michael. I feel for you.

Fly out here, I'll safety for ya. :D

Oh well. It seems that everything takes longer to do than expected.
Look on the bright side, you don't have much for weather out there!

Too bad you are so far away Michael, I would love the experience helping you work on the IR. I hope to have the II done this fall. Hang in there, you will get it done. Meanwhile, hit those books!!
Don

Michael said:

What 'source' are you using for your groundschool? I'm planning on doing the IR this fall with Tony and I'd like to have as much of the book work done as possible so I can devote as much time as possible to flying and nailing the post-briefing stuff I need to study up on.

Right now I have Kershner's IR book and Machado's IR book. Kershner is pretty good, but Machado has so much 'humor' worked into it, I can't seem to weed through it to get the info quickly like I want. It's hard to keep drudging through all the info when I haven't even started flying the stuff yet. Maybe I should get MSFS so I can at least pretend to use the info.

I've looked at Gleim's online course for $100 and I've heard that Sporty's & King's DVD/CD courses work pretty well. Any suggestions on study info?

-Chris

Michael,

I have experienced this from both sides of the cockpit and while I don't have a solution I do have some thoughts.

I've had students cancel lessons up to a bit past the start of the lesson. I've gotten calls 10 min after the lesson was scheduled to start saying "I just don't feel sharp today I think the lesson will be a waste of time and money can we reschedule". So now it's too late to call the 2 other people who wanted that time slot and there is not enough time to go home so I'm stuck hanging out until the next student comes. I've cancelled at the last minute too (rarely) but why is it OK for the student but a dereliction of duty for the instructor.

Students take breaks in their training, go on vacation, have business travel all the time. When an instructor wants a week off, my my my what an inconvenience.

The only idea I have is to work with another instructor as a team. I've got one lined up and we're starting to develop a plan. We'll use the same lesson plans, keep on-line progress reports and debriefings in a forum like this. We hope to be interchangable to a degree in scheduling. It should allow us to coordinate our time off and make it much easier to schedule.

Just my 2¢
I wish you luck and hope your instructor has good reasons for his time off.

Joe

Michael said:
Safety pilots are hard to come by out here, but CFIs are even harder to find.

Hang in, I guess I'm lucky to have a pilot friend who will fly safety for me just about anytime I ask. Makes it nice.

i just always forget something, like the timer, or fixate too much on one instrument. It will pass.

It will, but you'll have to stay on top of it after the ride so you keep everything up. Devils in the details, especially IFR.

But now, you'll be ready for that nice Arkansas haze for Gastons '07, right?

Bill Jennings said:
But now, you'll be ready for that nice Arkansas haze for Gastons '07, right?

You think they will have that ILS installed by then? :rofl:

Michael said:
You think they will have that ILS installed by then? :rofl:

I'm sure there is a rabbit out there you can line up on. :D

After a couple initial incidents of that BS, I quickly let all students know that I would be the one to make any last minute cancellations regarding weather limitations. Other "personal cancellations" are subject to a 24 hour limit (and I hold myself to the same requirement) or they pay for the scheduled CFI time. Previous clubs have also accessed one hour of dry aircraft rental time in such last minute, non-emergency cases. That system is fair for everybody.

Areeda said:
Michael,

I have experienced this from both sides of the cockpit and while I don't have a solution I do have some thoughts.

I've had students cancel lessons up to a bit past the start of the lesson. I've gotten calls 10 min after the lesson was scheduled to start saying "I just don't feel sharp today I think the lesson will be a waste of time and money can we reschedule". So now it's too late to call the 2 other people who wanted that time slot and there is not enough time to go home so I'm stuck hanging out until the next student comes. I've cancelled at the last minute too (rarely) but why is it OK for the student but a dereliction of duty for the instructor.

Students take breaks in their training, go on vacation, have business travel all the time. When an instructor wants a week off, my my my what an inconvenience.

The only idea I have is to work with another instructor as a team. I've got one lined up and we're starting to develop a plan. We'll use the same lesson plans, keep on-line progress reports and debriefings in a forum like this. We hope to be interchangable to a degree in scheduling. It should allow us to coordinate our time off and make it much easier to schedule.

Just my 2¢
I wish you luck and hope your instructor has good reasons for his time off.

Joe

Dave Krall CFII said:
How do they get the bunnies to run right down the centerline?
The same way they do it at the dog track...

I hear ya, Joe, but the issue is all about proper communication. Specific to Michael is his CFI's inability (unwillingness?) to properly communicate to his student what is going on with his schedule.

I firmly believe a CFI should inform the student that timely communication is expected. Then, they get x amount of chances to violate that rule. Thereafter, dock them for late cancellations. Should not the student also be able to do this to the CFI? WRT to Michael being repeatedly subjected to CFI-induced delays and having to spend additional lessons to make up for the delays, I suggest Michael negotiate with his CFI to provide x additional lessons at no extra cost to Michael. Michael's CFI is being less than up front, yet no less should be expected from a responsible adult. I think Michael's CFI is taking advantage of the fact that CFIs are hard to find, nonetheless such behavior is unacceptable.

true Rich. You know more of the story.
My CFI is gone again. This time for 5 weeks.

Michael we have no trouble finding CFI's here in the east but if its that hard out there how about two possible solutions?

1) Go the PIC route. Have the instructor come to you for 10 days and get it out of the way.

2) Take 10 Days and fly to one of the CFIIs on this board. Tony, Dave somebody and hire them to get you the IR.

Frustration is tough

^
/|\
|
|

What Adam said.

You'll never finish with that crap going on, and if you do, it'll cost you beaucoup extra.

Back