IR Oral Prep Guide

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I'm getting ready...

What Oral prep guides have you used? How did you like them? Any set up for the ACS?

John

My experience a couple of years ago was that your DPE is going to work you through a few scenarios of IFR flight. Things like losing comms on departure, icing in flight, know the difference between MEA, MOCA, MRA.

These were mostly the exception not the norm and all of the scenarios ended in a loss of control and my death. The purpose seemed to be how far you could get before that event happened and how familiar you were with the events. That said I live in the northeast and we have ice 8 months out of the year.

The ones I used were pre-ACS.

But the best thing I can suggest for you is:
  • Read through the ACS, highlight any items designated as special emphasis, and know these items cold
  • Find pilots who have done exams with the DPE and quiz them on the areas the DPE was making sure the applicant knew (a few of mine were weather decision making (including preparation, would you go, need to select alternates); emergency procedures including lost comms; as you descend on the IAP, what items in the airport environment do you need to see to make a legal landing)
  • Work with other instructors who use this DPE and ask them to conduct a mock exam.

The King Schools IFR oral prep videos have been updated for the new ACS format. Always been a fan of King.

So you're the fan they refer to!

You betcha!...I am visual leaner. I can not just read, retain, and regurgitate information so King was perfect for me on both my PPL and IFR. Show me how to do something and it is locked in, if I have to read how to do something...forget about it! I had to toss the Gleim program out the window and can handle the corny videos.

I did my IFR a few years ago with King and got both the written and oral programs. Went back online recently to review the materials prior to my IPC and was pleasantly surprised that the IFR oral program was all new content based on the ACS.

I'm "reading" the ASA Oral Prep guide and going through the King vids for the practical prep. It was good.

My PPL oral was *nothing* like the King practical prep vids or the stuff on YouTube. But those provided a good foundation so I'm doing the same here.

My PPL oral was *nothing* like the King practical prep vids or the stuff on YouTube. But those provided a good foundation so I'm doing the same here.

Huh, guess it all depends on the DPE. My PPL was pretty spot on as far as prepping for what to expect during the Oral with the King program.

The ones I used were pre-ACS.

But the best thing I can suggest for you is:
  • Read through the ACS, highlight any items designated as special emphasis, and know these items cold
  • Find pilots who have done exams with the DPE and quiz them on the areas the DPE was making sure the applicant knew (a few of mine were weather decision making (including preparation, would you go, need to select alternates); emergency procedures including lost comms; as you descend on the IAP, what items in the airport environment do you need to see to make a legal landing)
  • Work with other instructors who use this DPE and ask them to conduct a mock exam.

I worry that this advice furthers two problems, the insinuation that DPEs don't materially test the same knowledge, and "teaching to the DPE".

I think it's a better plan to prep to the material... which will make one ready for any DPE.

All are good ideas above. I don't think ACS will change the oral much other than some of the questions will be scenario based.

Something I did at the airline was write a question on one side of a 3x5 card and the answer on the reverse side, repeating the question on the backside for reinforcement along with a reference where it can be explained etc. You can buy flash cards too, but easy to just make your own. Use the written guide and online stuff to build them. Then you can use them later for FR and/or IPC. Works good for student pilots or any level. CFI can help too with material to study.

Back