IR knowledge test question

rcaligan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rcaligan
I have a question about a question:

499. I61 IRA
What flight planning information can a pilot derive from constant pressure charts?
A ) Clear air turbulence and icing conditions.
B ) Levels of widespread cloud coverage.
C ) Winds and temperatures aloft. (The correct answer)

Where can a pilot find a constant pressure chart that's the same kind of chart described in Section 8 of AC 00-45E? Maybe I'm missing it, but the constant pressure charts available on aviationweather.gov looks nothing like the one in the AC.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's nigh on impossible to find the old thermofax style charts any more other than in the text books. You can find constant pressure charts on the AOPA Weather site, WSI's displays in the FBO's, and a number of other places, but they don't look much like the ones in the books -- and they're much easier to read.

It seems like the weather services book is way behind on an update. Prognostic, Radar and winds aloft charts are about the only graphic data I use. I lean toward textual on just about everything else.

The written exam questions aren't keeping up with changes, either.

IIRC, Scott D. said that they were working on updating the weather questions, but I'm not holding my breath!

It's nigh on impossible to find the old thermofax style charts any more other than in the text books. You can find constant pressure charts on the AOPA Weather site, WSI's displays in the FBO's, and a number of other places, but they don't look much like the ones in the books -- and they're much easier to read.

It takes a bit of doing, and it is of value only to those pilots taking/preparing for knowledge exams, but if you go to the ADDS page and click on "Standard Briefing" in the left column, then scroll all the way to the bottom of the ensuing page and click on "FAX products" you will get the old black-and-white charts.

Bob Gardner

Anyone also notice that AOPA they updated their WX provider?

Looks like they are using Jepp WX. They used to have the constant pressure charts but I can't find them any longer, instead they have been replaced with altitude charts. I also am not liking the METAR page as you cannot select a single state and get all the readings in that state all at once any longer.

Didn't they finally republish the Weather Services book with the MODERN charts in it? The best way is to go to AviationWeather.gov, lots of help on the products they offer.

If the stuff l-Dopa just rolled out (which says powered by Jeppesen) is any indication of the rest of the Jepp Wx products, I'll stick with what I've been doing. The charts suck and the text weather has been busted since it came on line.

Back