IR Checkride

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
Flew my IR Checkride today with Doug Stewart. Excellent experience, a very thorough oral and flight, and I learned much about myself as a pilot on that ride today.

Oh, I did give up my fancy plastic license for a white piece of paper too!

Feels good to get that continuing license to keep learning!

Congrats!!!

Any tricks? Anything unexpected or anything that you struggled with?

Congrats!!!

Any tricks? Anything unexpected or anything that you struggled with?

Thanks AJ and all:

Some thoughts to share about the ride and my continuing education as a newly minted IR pilot:

With the incoming WX we are expecting, as usual, in this region and especially around Albany NY, the wind shear gets impressive. On the ground, we can be seeing calm conditions and 300 ft AGL its howling, and of course changing wind directions depended on my altitude, so that was the kind of day it was yesterday. I also got dunked from the VOR 28 to the LOC 1 at ALB. It took all I had to keep that needle within scale on some of the approaches, and timing the turns partial paneled into the LOC 1 at ALB was interesting. Doing a N-S hold later on with the groundspeed around 80 kts northbound and 125 kts southbound was also interesting. On my final approach back to the field, keeping the glideslope on an RNAV-WAAS approach southbound to a circle to land northbound was also an adventure (80kts airspeed, 120kts groundspeed)

My CFII and Doug talked about the ride I guess as soon as I departed 1B1 for home. Doug and I debriefed and I was pretty critical about my flying, and we used the debrief as a learning experience as well. Turns out that I was way more harsh on my assessment of my flying than I had to be, but that's just me. I will tell you this, of all the thoughts I have about this rating is a real sense of much deeper responsibility for myself and others in the system, not a burden, but the stakes are greater and the bar has been raised higher than it was before. Thats a good thing, and my personal minimums don't include taking major risks if I can avoid them.

Interesting in the differences in philosophy you see in how one approaches (no pun intended) instrument flying. My training included all the bells and whistles available in my plane (the 430W, an Aera510, Autopilot, DME yada yada) but almost always partial paneled and back to real basics: timed turns, adjusting my scan, vacuum failures and such. So my habits go to the minimalist phase when stuff happens. My checkride critique focused on the opposite view of using the more sophisitcated equipment much more deeply than I am using them now, to backup failed system in the plane. Sort of the glass half empty versus the glass half full philosophy. I truly realize that and now my personal goal is really dig deeply into the capabilities of the GPS systems and how to use them when other things go TU.

CONGRATS!!

Enjoy the new rating, it really opens up our eyes to being in and working the system.

Congratulations! Did Doug put you through the ringer? When I've met him, he seems impassioned about aviation and instruction.

Flew my IR Checkride today with Doug Stewart. Excellent experience, a very thorough oral and flight, and I learned much about myself as a pilot on that ride today.

Oh, I did give up my fancy plastic license for a white piece of paper too!

Feels good to get that continuing license to keep learning!

Congrats! You trained with one of the best! So did I! If you ever want a really good workout, consider one of Doug's multi-day programs.
We flew from Maine to FL and worked everything possible. 40+ hours of instrument flying and worth every minute of it.

If you see Doug, tell Him Andy from CT says hello.

Good read, congrats!
...My checkride critique focused on the opposite view of using the more sophisticated equipment much more deeply than I am using them now, to backup failed system in the plane.
That's interesting, what kind of questions he asked about the more sophisticated equipment?
I'm probably a month away, figured I'll learn from your experience.

Congrats! Must be a great feeling after putting in all that hard work and time to study and practice!

Thanks all! Doug is a passionate airman and very good at the craft. He's also an awesome teacher and knew just about every facet of my skill level and my thought process in the plane as we flew. Gil-Mor, alot of what we do is, of course, influenced by our training. I have had the great luck to be able to call on a few really good CFII's over the course of my training to fly with me and give me feedback on my flying. Each has found different areas of strength and weakness and each looked at the flights differently. The same was true for Doug's take on how I use the tools available in the plane when systems fail and I have to substitute others. I was taught to revert to basics, as I posted before. During the ride, while I was focused on basic instrument skills, I got a chance to see much more deeply into the advanced capabilities of the G430. I know that my skill level getting deeply into the G430 needs to improve, and that will come with more experience. Before the IR work, I knew about a third of what I know now about the system, and still have a hell of a way to keep going. But, it's also nice to know that I can count, keep the timer going and know the number of degrees I have to turn to intercept using the mag compass only and calculate/track a wind correction with the DG bug, turn coordinator and CDI. The DTK/TRK indications are among the most useful tools I have in the 430 to verify my wind correction. Many times, the GPS was set on the traffic page only, and the CDI needles are always primary for me. I also learned that what the moving map display shows is not always what you should fly.

Last edited:
Back