IR checkride complete without a hitch

121Dispatch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FltPlanner
Three months after a 9-year hiatus trying to get my medical back, I am now instrument rated!

Checkride went very well. The oral lasted about 1 1/2 hours including all the required paperwork. Standard questions...how do you get a wx briefing for a flight. What does the info in the briefing mean to you...how long are wx reports good for. How would you avoid t'storms. What are types of icing, what effect does ice have, how can you identify where icing will be. What instruments would be affected by a frozen static port. How will you fix the problem. Hypothetical clearance...what would you do at this point if your comms failed. Looked over enroute and approach charts. Several questions about what symbols mean. What do you think about when picking an alternate...what factors help determine one alternate over another.

I showed up with an old-school airplane...two VOR's, DME, and an ADF. We did three approaches, two missed, a few turns in the hold, and unusual attitudes.
After landing, I got the handshake and congratulations, then in to print off the temp certificate.

It was such a beautiful night I filed VFR for the flight home. It is great to be able to see out the window again!

121Dispatch said:
Three months after a 9-year hiatus trying to get my medical back, I am now instrument rated!

Checkride went very well. The oral lasted about 1 1/2 hours including all the required paperwork. Standard questions...how do you get a wx briefing for a flight. What does the info in the briefing mean to you...how long are wx reports good for. How would you avoid t'storms. What are types of icing, what effect does ice have, how can you identify where icing will be. What instruments would be affected by a frozen static port. How will you fix the problem. Hypothetical clearance...what would you do at this point if your comms failed. Looked over enroute and approach charts. Several questions about what symbols mean. What do you think about when picking an alternate...what factors help determine one alternate over another.

I showed up with an old-school airplane...two VOR's, DME, and an ADF. We did three approaches, two missed, a few turns in the hold, and unusual attitudes.
After landing, I got the handshake and congratulations, then in to print off the temp certificate.

It was such a beautiful night I filed VFR for the flight home. It is great to be able to see out the window again!

Congratulations, you earned that one.

No Simulated FMS failure on the test ?

121Dispatch said:

Congrats! My IR checkride is scheduled for the Dec 9th, I hope it goes as well as yours did.

Again, congrats! Getting the IR is a job.

Bill Jennings said:
Congrats! My IR checkride is scheduled for the Dec 9th, I hope it goes as well as yours did.

I've been following your progress Bill. I am sure your checkride will be no problem for you. I had the option of using an examiner in CHA, but I use Jepps, so my plates are GA, NC, SC...didn't want to take a ride where I would have to use something other than what I was used to, so I went to SC.
I hope my post helps you...of course a different DE means different questions, but if you know weather, how to read enroute/approach charts, can talk your way through an emergency situation, and can fly the approaches, you will be fine on the ride. I found I was MUCH more focused during the checkride than the last few flights with my CFII.
As I'm sure you know, they don't expect you to know everything, so as all the others have said...relax as best you can, and enjoy the ride!

Congratulations! Now you can do more flying than before (in theory).

Congrats !

Now you can worry about the weather 2x as much as you did before ! :)

wangmyers said:
Congratulations! Now you can do more flying than before (in theory).

You CAN do more flying (in reality)
....and more crashing (in reality).

Back