IR App

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Any one using any iPad apps for holding patterns?
Any recommendations, or paper and pencil still the best.

Thanks

Paper and pencil until you get the hang of it, then do it in your head. Trying to do it on an iPad in real time is going to take too much attention away from flying the plane.

I'm a fan of the thumb rule. If it is a standard pattern, head for the fix, then put your right thumb at the 90 degree relative position on the heading indicator and look for the radial you are cleared to hold on. If it lies between the top of your thumb and dead ahead, it is a teardrop; visualize a line from the top of your thumb through the center of the instrument to (about) the 250 degree relative position...if the holding course falls between the top of your thumb and that position, make a direct entry. Between 000 relative and the 250 relative position it is a parallel entry. Left thumb for left hand patterns. After awhile you will be able to see it without using your thumbs.

Bob Gardner

To the extent I use an iPad for other than charted holds (where I find the proper entry to be obvious, and even more so in a EFB app), it's exactly the same way I used paper and pencil and it takes the same amount of time.

Last edited:
Get out an enroute chart and draw several holds around various different fixes. Imagine the airplane being somewhere on the chart and ask yourself what the most efficient way to enter that hold would be. Repeat from various other positions on the chart.

Get out an enroute chart and draw several holds around various different fixes. Imagine the airplane being somewhere on the chart and ask yourself what the most efficient way to enter that hold would be. Repeat from various other positions on the chart.

Thank you so much for this tip!

Thank you so much for this tip!
This "tip" is exactly the way I teach holds. No math, no thumbs or fingers or pencils or other appendages or devices. Of course, for some, the reasonable entry is still not obvious, so I have those gimmicks in my bag to help.

This "tip" is exactly the way I teach holds. No math, no thumbs or fingers or pencils or other appendages or devices. Of course, for some, the reasonable entry is still not obvious, so I have those gimmicks in my bag to help.

Me too (or atleast will teach them-my II ride is on Monday). It's amazing how much people overcomplicate hold entries with formulas and overpriced crap from Sporty's.

Back