iPods Are a Hot Item!

Don't carry it in your pants pocket....

iPod Sets Man's Pants On Fire

Imagine this happening on an airliner? :hairraise:

For the record, it's quite typical for a company to not want to discuss matters like this. They want the item in their hands so they can have an independent expert go through and figure out if it was a fluke in manufacturing, a random occurrence, something that could happen more frequently, or if it was all just a scheme to extort money out of their company.

Also, that's impressive writing Lou. "The iPod uses a lithium ion battery -- the same type of battery under recall for setting laptops on fire."

And how many products in the world use lithium ion batteries without a single problem? Now if it were the same model battery or even the same manufacturer, I can understand the statement. Saying it's the same TYPE of battery is simply fear-inducing crap. It's the kind of statement that makes unknowing consumers rummage through all of their electronics to replace any and all "lithium ion deathtraps".

That said, I have a nano like that one... maybe I should wrap it in some fire proofing?

NiMH batteries have caught fire as well as NiCD. The LiIONs are satying true to this condition. Most of the time, but not all of the time one finds out that there is a after market battery in the device that was put in by the user. That battery was cheaper because it is missing some of the safety circuits. This has caused some manufacturers of CE devices to go to a smart battery. Which is a battery that the device will be able to authentic as being genuine. That also costs the batteries to be at a higher cost. Most all cell phone maufacturers use a smart battery.

Yeah, but, what have we come to. The victim of this little incident said "I'm glad the TSA didn't see it, or they would have arrested me thinking I was a terrorist."

Recovered data from the device:

Now Playing> Hot Pants, by James Brown

Next song in playlist> Great Balls of Fire, by Jerry Lee Lewis

:goofy:

The one before was > Burnin' down the house, by the Talking Heads

Back