iPod surgery anyone?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
My son's 4th gen 40g iPod click wheel quit working recently. I've dug thru everything I can find online about this failure and possible repairs and with the info I found, was able to completely disassemble, clean and reassemble the little bugger. Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the dead click wheel. Anyone know any further tests to determine if the failure is the click wheel or the control board?

My eyes are too far gone for this kind of stuff - some 10X cheaters would have helped immensely.

Well, I guess any remaining warranty is now void. :( Other than that, nada.

Well, I guess any remaining warranty is now void. :( Other than that, nada.
Warranty was gone before open iPod surgery, which does kind of pi$$ me off. Kid bought a reman from Apple with 6 month warranty. Reman crapped out at 4 months, they replace it with another reman, which craps out at 4 months. According to Apple, the warranty does not extend with the replacement reman iPod... so it only had 2 months effective warranty when he received it.

I am SO SICK of pi$$-poor customer support attitudes - it's FREAKIN' EVERYWHERE!!!

We have been overcome by "not my fault" and "just replace it" mentality, it seems.

Warranty was gone before open iPod surgery, which does kind of pi$$ me off. Kid bought a reman from Apple with 6 month warranty. Reman crapped out at 4 months, they replace it with another reman, which craps out at 4 months. According to Apple, the warranty does not extend with the replacement reman iPod... so it only had 2 months effective warranty when he received it.

I am SO SICK of pi$$-poor customer support attitudes - it's FREAKIN' EVERYWHERE!!!

We have been overcome by "not my fault" and "just replace it" mentality, it seems.

Your supposed own multiple iPods like they're disposibles. Nobody much worried much about replacing the battery because you were supposed to have a new one by time it died.

I bought AppleCare for mine. I dunno if I activated it in time.

Yeah, the refurb policy sucks. But, you know why they (and everyone else, too) do that? Customer abuse. I know people who will take that 6-month refurb, use it 5 months, and break it in a manner where you can't tell it was on purpose. Trade in/up, lather, rinse, repeat. If there's a good policy out there, there's a customer or three thousand who will abuse it until it's gone. :mad:

I bought AppleCare for mine. I dunno if I activated it in time.

Doesn't matter. I usually only "activate" it when I actually have a problem. In fact, the only one I've activated was two laptops ago. They looked up my date of purchase, date the warranty ran out, and activated it for me as of the day it should have activated. They're not all bad when it comes to customer service. And they speak English, too! :yes:

I thought nothing ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever went wrong with Apple products.

I thought nothing ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever went wrong with Apple products.

i dunno the only problem i had with my ipod nano was when it sat in my pocket under pressure from my pocket knife and i broke the LCD.

Back