Ipod help [NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Its an older ipod 15gb my s.i.l. gave me.
No disk, just the ipod and accouterments.

When I turn it on I get File Folder with "!" in a triangle.

I have iTunes on the computer for my own iShuffle already.

How do I get the thing to listen up and put the software on there?

also I hear slicking and spinning inside.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
When I turn it on I get File Folder with "!" in a triangle.

That means it can't find its operating system software... The link already provided pretty much covers what to do.

[/quote]also I hear slicking and spinning inside.[/QUOTE]

That may be a sign of a bad hard drive. If you can't get the iPod Updater to restore it, and it doesn't mount if you force it into disk mode, you probably have a bad hard drive.

At that point, you can either toss it, or see how much it would cost to get it fixed elsewhere (check both with Apple and iPodResQ), or you could do a little hardware hacking of your own and buy a 1.8" hard drive and install it yourself. Option three not recommended unless you're good with small tools and somewhat adventurous. :D

flyingcheesehead said:
That means it can't find its operating system software... The link already provided pretty much covers what to do.

also I hear slicking and spinning inside.

That may be a sign of a bad hard drive. If you can't get the iPod Updater to restore it, and it doesn't mount if you force it into disk mode, you probably have a bad hard drive.

At that point, you can either toss it, or see how much it would cost to get it fixed elsewhere (check both with Apple and iPodResQ), or you could do a little hardware hacking of your own and buy a 1.8" hard drive and install it yourself. Option three not recommended unless you're good with small tools and somewhat adventurous. :D
That's where the guy found out if he dropped the iPod it starts working. I think he dropped off a 1st or second floor balcony. NOT RECOMMENDED except as the last resort before it hits the trash.

I hate electronics.
I tried to restore it and now it

-wont shut off.
-says "Disk Mode", battery full (its on charge because I can't get it to shut off), and a large check mark, and "OK to disconnect (even when its not connected!) I hate electronics.
(I am thinking violence will be required, but will entertain any...less satisfying, but more productive suggestions!)
One more thing. I hate electronics.

40%, Dave.

40% Hammer Modulation.

Maybe I will bring it to Fort Worthy tomorrow and we will do some Liquid Ethanol Immersion experiments. Or see if Repetitive Concussive Incidents between a Restaurant Floor and Table Leg improves matters. Too bad it does not respond to verbal threats and other general attacks on its moral character.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I hate electronics.
I tried to restore it and now it

-wont shut off.
-says "Disk Mode", battery full (its on charge because I can't get it to shut off), and a large check mark, and "OK to disconnect (even when its not connected!) I hate electronics.

Dave,

"tried" to restore, or it did? Just trying to figure out if the hard drive is OK or not.

If you were able to do the restore before it froze on (and heck, even if you weren't able to I guess) just try a reset: Hold down the "menu" and select (center) buttons for a few seconds. That's the iPod equivalent of the three-finger salute. When the Apple logo appears, it's rebooting.

Never Give Up! After many attempts, it finally restored to factory settings!
I have loaded some music on and it plays.
Only last issue is the battery. Overnight the charger brought it back to fully charged, but when you play it, the battery is about 1/5th remaining.
Is there a good way to deal with the battery at this point? Repetetive (but not full discharge) cycling?
Thanks!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Only last issue is the battery. Overnight the charger brought it back to fully charged, but when you play it, the battery is about 1/5th remaining.
Is there a good way to deal with the battery at this point? Repetetive (but not full discharge) cycling?
Thanks!

Nope they are LiION batteries and recondition is not an option. What is needed is a new battery. Apple charges huge amounts for this, some places less. But I changed one myself for $20 and the company sent me the tools to do it. See if these guys can help with a battery for your model. http://www.sonnettech.com/product/ipod/batteries/index.html

darned thing claims it is fully charged now. We shall see, I guess. Thanks!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks!

Dave,

Excellent! :)

If the battery really does turn out to be bad, iPodResQ does those too, and at quite reasonable prices.

Oh no.. An Apple product that stopped working?? C'mon Mac guys, tell him its just his imagination...

AirBaker said:
Oh no.. An Apple product that stopped working?? C'mon Mac guys, tell him its just his imagination...

Yeah, we've always claimed that Apple products are nothing short of perfect and never break. :rolleyes:

(says the guy who's typing on a MacBook Pro that's missing its delete key until Saturday... :mad:)

I am well aware of the friendly apple vs pc rivalry. I think we can all be devoted to the point of blindness, here is a humorous example that I had last xmas:
My _______, the extreme apple fan, was over with his laptop and we wanted to access something on the web. We were using an extremely weak wireless signal from the neighbor's for that day because mine was down.
No matter what he did he could not connect, but my cheapie Toshiba was doing just fine, albeit a little slow.
His only response was, "Well Macs are built to reject inferior signals"!!!!
I wanted to say, "Wait a minute, I'm on and you aren't!"
It was all I could do not to laugh out loud at the way human nature allows us to spin things. (rabid pc owners are often the same)

AirBaker said:

I'll admit Apple's fail. My 6800X from 1993 finally gave up the ghost after 13 years of faithful service. It now joins my Dell from 2004 in the computer graveyard.

I've donated a Mac IIfx, a IIci and a Performa 640 to the schools here during the last 10 years or so. According to a friend in the school, they're all still running in the grade school library. the fx was from around 1990, the ci was around 1989, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
another ipod Q:

I bought my brother a Shuffle. can he get songs from my itunes list off my computer or will it deny him access?

woodstock said:
another ipod Q:

I bought my brother a Shuffle. can he get songs from my itunes list off my computer or will it deny him access?

He can get the songs off of your computer. I also have a shuffle and do the same thing even though I also use an iPOD Video.

smigaldi said:
He can get the songs off of your computer. I also have a shuffle and do the same thing even though I also use an iPOD Video.

thanks Scott.

what if his shuffle is full when he shows up to do this - where will he "dump" his old songs?

woodstock said:
thanks Scott.

what if his shuffle is full when he shows up to do this - where will he "dump" his old songs?

It will just overwrite them. It will not add them to your library. If I remember correctly when you plug it in you will get a message that the shuffle is linked to another computer and ask do you want to break that link.

smigaldi said:
It will just overwrite them. It will not add them to your library. If I remember correctly when you plug it in you will get a message that the shuffle is linked to another computer and ask do you want to break that link.

if you say "yes" - what will happen when he goes home and tries to re-plug in to his own?

woodstock said:
if you say "yes" - what will happen when he goes home and tries to re-plug in to his own?

Same thing, he will loose the songs from your computer and then resynch the songs form his computer.

smigaldi said:
He can get the songs you ripped from CDs, but not any DRM'd songs you might have bought from the iTunes Music Store.

One more MS bash: The Zune software by default puts DRM on your music so you can't copy it. There's a checkbox you have to deselect to turn "manage my music" off. Wonder which organization likes that little "mistake?"

mikea said:
He can get the songs you ripped from CDs, but not any DRM'd songs you might have bought from the iTunes Music Store.
I don't think that is true. I can get any of the songs I have from my library, even the pruchased ones, onto multiple iPods that I own and have synch. The rub is that if that iPOD is then moved to another computer for the synch all the songs on it are lost. It will not upload them to the new computer.

smigaldi said:
I don't think that is true. I can get any of the songs I have from my library, even the pruchased ones, onto multiple iPods that I own and have synch. The rub is that if that iPOD is then moved to another computer for the synch all the songs on it are lost. It will not upload them to the new computer.
The DRM on the songs is locked to the account on the computer both there and on the associated iPod. You're limited to 5 computers but AFAIK you can have an unlimited number of iPods. With the new iTunes (Allegedly. I haven't upgraded yet and I don't have any purchased music) you can and are allowed to sync to and from the iPod to any of the 5 authorized computers. It will copy music from the iPod to another of your authorized computers. (BTW, there have been third party utilities that allow copying from iPod to computer.)

I think when plug a new iPod in and you say to iTunes "This is (also) my iPod" it will sync those songs that you own. The issue is your friend will have his or her own iTMS account so your music won't work there and it won't sync in both directions. iTunes will warn you that you can't play it.

mikea said:
The DRM on the songs is locked to the account on the computer both there and on the associated iPod.

Exactly, when you associate the iPod with the computer it will allow you to put your songs, even the puirchased ones on it. If you then associate the iPod with another computer you loose those songs. That is what I have been saying all along. You can associate more than one iPod with a computer. I do it with 3 iPods now and all three have music I purchased on them from the same computer. This still holds true with the latest version of iTunes as well.

smigaldi said:
Exactly, when you associate the iPod with the computer it will allow you to put your songs, even the puirchased ones on it. If you then associate the iPod with another computer you loose those songs. That is what I have been saying all along. You can associate more than one iPod with a computer. I do it with 3 iPods now and all three have music I purchased on them from the same computer. This still holds true with the latest version of iTunes as well.
Right, but the distinction is not that you lose the purchased songs when you associate with another computer, you lose them when you associate the iPod with another computer that is registered with a different account with the iTMS. Actually you get a warning message something like: "This account is different. Do you want to sync anyway?"

Let'sgoflying! said:
My _______, the extreme apple fan, was over with his laptop and we wanted to access something on the web. We were using an extremely weak wireless signal from the neighbor's for that day because mine was down.
No matter what he did he could not connect, but my cheapie Toshiba was doing just fine, albeit a little slow.
His only response was, "Well Macs are built to reject inferior signals"!!!!

:rofl: I like that. :rofl: :goofy:

My last three Mac laptops have been getting better and better WiFi signal, but the one before that was better than any of 'em. Why? Titanium and Aluminum don't do good things for wireless signals. A plastic laptop will do better than a metal one for WiFi in general. They've been building "windows" in the metal for the antennas, on my MacBook Pro it's at the bottom of the screen, on the hinge. I think the Bluetooth antenna is in there too.

gkainz said:
I've donated a Mac IIfx, a IIci and a Performa 640 to the schools here during the last 10 years or so. According to a friend in the school, they're all still running in the grade school library. the fx was from around 1990, the ci was around 1989, if I recall correctly.

There's a LaserWriter Plus laser printer from 1986 living in a lab belonging to the Dairy Science department at UW. My dad was there when the printer was donated by Apple along with four Mac Pluses with 20MB external SCSI hard drives (the first SCSI drive there was) and ImageWriter II printers.

The LaserWriter Plus was claimed to have a useful life of 100,000 pages. Last time I saw it, it was at over 3,000,000 pages printed and has NEVER been serviced at all aside from having the toner cartridge changed when it runs out. And it outlasted my dad, who retired from the department last month.

Back when the LaserWriter Plus was still being sold, Macworld magazine did a review of it and tested it with heavier weight papers. It did well, so they kept feeding it heavier and heavier stock to print on. After printing just fine on the heaviest card stock they could find, they kept going. It printed just fine on corrugated cardboard. The only thing they could find that it wouldn't print on? Shag carpeting. :eek: They don't make 'em like they used to.

OBTW, I still have a beige (ie pre-Jobs' return) Power Mac G3, a Mac Plus, and an Apple IIe that all work. The power supply on my Power Mac 9600 finally gave out a couple of months ago (it was sitting on the floor and had ingested an awful lot of dust from the carpet), and my IIfx will turn on but it's kinda hard to boot it without any RAM installed (anyone have some spare 30-pin SIMMs?) I think I still have a PowerBook Duo 230 and an Apple Network Server 700 kicking around somewhere too.

Last edited:
mikea said:
One more MS bash: The Zune software by default puts DRM on your music so you can't copy it. There's a checkbox you have to deselect to turn "manage my music" off. Wonder which organization likes that little "mistake?"

So, if you take a CD you own and rip it, it'll have DRM?!?!? :eek: That is going WAY overboard. I wonder how much the RIAA paid them to do that?

Man, if they keep going, the next thing we know Nick will have an iPod. ;) :rofl:

flyingcheesehead said:
So, if you take a CD you own and rip it, it'll have DRM?!?!? :eek: That is going WAY overboard. I wonder how much the RIAA paid them to do that?

Man, if they keep going, the next thing we know Nick will have an iPod. ;) :rofl:

Yep! Read from the horse mouth:
http://www.zuneinsider.com/2006/09/zune_and_drm_or.html

Oh. The update is the DRM only gets put on when you share anything wirelessly. Not as first reported.

Microsoft is hanging their hat on "trusted computing" which is more newspeak for "your computer doesn't trust you." They courted the music and film industries big time.

Back