iPod crash

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Wife's: 10months old, suddenly won't start up.
Tried all the website suggestions including, bnlt: Upgrading the software, Resetting, Complete Erase.

It displays the apple, then starts clicking 7 times fast, every 5 seconds. Sometimes a file with the exclamation mark pops up, sometimes the battery display shows 'danger; low', the next minute it is fully charged.
Have tried recharging overnight and discharging then recharging.

Planning upon a return.
Did I mention that also, a stereo quit and a computer needs repair this week?

If you are hearing a click that sounds mechanical you are pretty much screwed. Send it back.

If not. There is a diagnostics mode on the ipod I've had good luck with . It had many tests that can be ran. The way you access it depends on the Ipod.

What Ipod / Generation does your wife have

Let'sgoflying! said:

Remember Dave, these devices are saving you time and effort.

Let'sgoflying! said:

You didn't have a lightning strike nearby, per chance?

No Bill, the computer was a bad fan (still apart on dining table waiting new one, see other thread), another is dust in a CD changer I think, the ipod sits inside on a safe little counter most of the time (no tz here lately either).
I attract faulty electronics like flagpoles attract lightning though.

PS the Ipod is a clickwheel, 40gB, new in January, Jesse.

They are sending a shipping box to return it, pretty good phone service I must say. They spoke english, lived in america, did not have a huge phone menu and did not try to repeat all the troubleshooting that I did.
It helps I think that we bought the AppleCare long term warrantee, she seemed to perk up and be more enthusiastic with that.

Let'sgoflying! said:
No Bill, the computer was a bad fan (still apart on dining table waiting new one, see other thread), another is dust in a CD changer I think, the ipod sits inside on a safe little counter most of the time (no tz here lately either).
I attract faulty electronics like flagpoles attract lightning though.

PS the Ipod is a clickwheel, 40gB, new in January, Jesse.

They are sending a shipping box to return it, pretty good phone service I must say. They spoke english, lived in america, did not have a huge phone menu and did not try to repeat all the troubleshooting that I did.
It helps I think that we bought the AppleCare long term warrantee, she seemed to perk up and be more enthusiastic with that.
First reset it: Hold the menu and Play button for about 10 seconds.

When you see the apple logo:

Press & Hold the Previous, Next, Menu, and Select buttons.

(I beleive it's only three of these but I don't remember which three. IF you do all of thoes it should go into hte diag mode. You'll know because the Apple logo will flip backwards.)

You'll still need to have Apple replace the hard drive, But this may be useful for you in the future.

I've always had very good luck with the Apple service department.

I thought Apple products *never* had any problems, according to their brainwashed owners at least :D

N2212R said:
I thought Apple products *never* had any problems, according to their brainwashed owners at least :D

LOL. Apple is "teh win!!!!!11one`"

Back