iPOD carry and mounts

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
Well, my wife was really nice to me this Christmas. I'm now the proud owner of a 32GB Wi-Fi iPad 2. She bought it specifically for my charts and plates for my IR. My question is: What kind of covers and mounts do those of you who use iPads as EFBs use?

For reference, the plane I fly and will be training in is a 1963 C-172 C with the old style yokes and no glass.

John

I use a Ram yoke mount in the 182 I fly. I bought it directly from Ram with the yoke mount, ipad holder a 3" arm, a 1" arm and a 2 ball connector (so I can use the 3" and 1" arm together). Its a modular system so I reuse everything in the archer minus the 1" arm, and replace the toke Mont with a suction mount in the da-40.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

I have the RAM yoke mount for the iPad but ditched it during IR training because the only instrument it blocks... is the suction gauge in my 182.

I'd like to have the plates up there but... well... It works on my lap. Check your airplane before spending the money.

Does anybody use a kneeboard mount? I've used a kneeboard since I started with my PP so I'm pretty used to it. Do those of you who use iPads miss being able to jot down things on the approach plates?

John

Does anybody use a kneeboard mount? I've used a kneeboard since I started with my PP so I'm pretty used to it. Do those of you who use iPads miss being able to jot down things on the approach plates?

John
I do. Tried a couple and use the Aviator model from http://www.forpilotsonly.com/

Original attraction was the 1/2 height cover - allows for a pen writing surface and doesn't get in the way of a yoke. The cover has become less and less of an issue since I'm using less and less paper, but I still like the design overall.

In looking at others, minimal seems better, although you do want something that will also raise the "top" so you don't have to lock the screen to keep it from rotating. The ones that let you rotate the iPad from portrait to landscape easily are also interesting but the one or two I tried left something to be desired. I think that if I didn't use my Aviator I'd either just use a normal case without a strap or, to have some security, slide an old kneeboard strap through holes I cut in a silicone case (BTDT).

Back