iPhone

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
How likely am I get to by with 16GB for the next couple of years?

If I go 32, it's probably going to be with the (white) 5c. Otherwise I might consider the 16GB 5s.

Thanks,
JKG

I'd you are going to use your phone as a backup with something like Foreflight, I would highly recommend 32GB to make sure you have plenty of space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree... I have the 16GB iPhone 5 and with lots of music, WX, FF, and a small speckle of other apps, I'm running of storage space quickly.

I have FF and some other stuff on a 16 mb 5 with 11 mb free.

Guess it depends on the user.

I agree... I have the 16GB iPhone 5 and with lots of music, WX, FF, and a small speckle of other apps, I'm running of storage space quickly.

Well, coming from a flip phone, I'm not sure what to expect. I have ForeFlight on two iPads already, so not sure I would put it on the phone. The iPad has been my primary mobile device, but it's a problem for times when I need to stay connected with the business but I'm not wearing the pants with the iPad 3 sized pocket (no, I don't have those pants). I suspect that I may use more apps and less web browser on the iPhone. On the iPad, I have about 3GB of music and 5.5GB of photos, but that's my entire library. I have 8.5GB free on a 32GB iPad, but that includes FF and stuff I could probably leave off of the phone. FF presently occupies 8.3 GB alone.

JKG

I've got a 16GB iPhone, and am due for a new one. Do any iPhone users think the 64GB is necessary, or do most think 32GB is adequate for FF?

I went 64, but that is how I roll. I would recommend at least 32. With photos, video, music etc. it adds up. ForeFlight is going to depend on how many chart regions you subscribe to. If you only keep one state, it won't be too bad, but if you need half the country, it will be quite a bit.

Well, coming from a flip phone, I'm not sure what to expect. I have ForeFlight on two iPads already, so not sure I would put it on the phone. The iPad has been my primary mobile device, but it's a problem for times when I need to stay connected with the business but I'm not wearing the pants with the iPad 3 sized pocket (no, I don't have those pants). I suspect that I may use more apps and less web browser on the iPhone. On the iPad, I have about 3GB of music and 5.5GB of photos, but that's my entire library. I have 8.5GB free on a 32GB iPad, but that includes FF and stuff I could probably leave off of the phone. FF presently occupies 8.3 GB alone.

JKG

If you're not going to put on FF, have you considered an Android? For phone I switched from iPhone to Android a few years ago and just got my second, a Galaxy 4S. The ability to put in a memory chip is pretty high value to me, this particular model has all the different radios for worldwide use, plus it supports wifi calling which is the primary feature that sells me since I can use it over satellite on the normal data package.

I went with the 32 on my phone,have ff and some weather apps plenty of room.

have a 16, have foreflight with most of the lower 48 maps downloaded, lots of spare room left

I am at capacity with my 16GB with very limited (1-state) foreflight downloads, 1300 pix, few hundred songs, a lot of smaller apps. I will definately be ordering the 32 or 64 on Friday. Having to delete a photo to take a new one is not something I ever want to do again.

If you're not going to put on FF, have you considered an Android? For phone I switched from iPhone to Android a few years ago and just got my second, a Galaxy 4S. The ability to put in a memory chip is pretty high value to me, this particular model has all the different radios for worldwide use, plus it supports wifi calling which is the primary feature that sells me since I can use it over satellite on the normal data package.

Yes, I considered Android, and concluded that from a usability standpoint I'd have to do too much fiddling and give up too many apps that seem to work better on iOS. I'd sure like to get two phones for the price of an iPhone, but the hassle isn't worth it to me when I'm going to have to tinker with it to get it right. I also don't like returning to a model where carriers get to determine what's installed on the phone and what version of the OS I can run. That was always a constant annoyance with my phones on Verizon, but I suspect that other carriers were guilty also.

Plus, I'm not super-comfortable with Google knowing what I'm doing on my phone. Yes, I do trust Apple more, perhaps one of the advantages of the fact that their cloud services are somewhat inferior, and that their business model doesn't depend on persistent spying on their users.

JKG

Yes, I considered Android, and concluded that from a usability standpoint I'd have to do too much fiddling and give up too many apps that seem to work better on iOS. I'd sure like to get two phones for the price of an iPhone, but the hassle isn't worth it to me when I'm going to have to tinker with it to get it right. I also don't like returning to a model where carriers get to determine what's installed on the phone and what version of the OS I can run. That was always a constant annoyance with my phones on Verizon, but I suspect that other carriers were guilty also.

Plus, I'm not super-comfortable with Google knowing what I'm doing on my phone. Yes, I do trust Apple more, perhaps one of the advantages of the fact that their cloud services are somewhat inferior, and that their business model doesn't depend on persistent spying on their users.

JKG

Mine is unlocked, I can use it on whatever carrier I please and have no restriction on features or apps. In my situation, the iPhone doesn't support a critical feature and that is wifi calling, the ability to have my phone on a wifi network and have it ring or make calls on my normal phone number even in the middle of the ocean with no extra fees.

My iPhone is also a 16. If I wanted to keep the whole U.S. on it I would have gone with a 32. But with just the states I visit frequently, I'm at 4.0 used with 9.5 available.

Mine is unlocked, I can use it on whatever carrier I please and have no restriction on features or apps. In my situation, the iPhone doesn't support a critical feature and that is wifi calling, the ability to have my phone on a wifi network and have it ring or make calls on my normal phone number even in the middle of the ocean with no extra fees.

I can do it on an iPhone with a SIP client, but I really don't have a use case for it. My biggest challenge is that I need high speed data and excellent rural coverage in the U.S., so that pretty much pins me to ATT or Verizon at the moment.

JKG

I can do it on an iPhone with a SIP client, but I really don't have a use case for it. My biggest challenge is that I need high speed data and excellent rural coverage in the U.S., so that pretty much pins me to ATT or Verizon at the moment.

JKG

Does SIP work with your normal number, or is it another number?

Does SIP work with your normal number, or is it another number?

Either. I can port my number to a SIP provider, or use a number that they assign. I suppose that I could do this with my cellular number, but that would prevent that number from falling back to traditional cellular voice. In my case, I've been looking at doing it with my landline number.

I understand that most of the carriers will eventually move to VoLTE or similar VoIP technology, which should permit more flexibility. Whether the carriers (or the dominant ones) will permit flexibility is another question. Any flexibility with those guys seems to always have a price tag attached to it.

JKG

Either. I can port my number to a SIP provider, or use a number that they assign. I suppose that I could do this with my cellular number, but that would prevent that number from falling back to traditional cellular voice. In my case, I've been looking at doing it with my landline number.

I understand that most of the carriers will eventually move to VoLTE or similar VoIP technology, which should permit more flexibility. Whether the carriers (or the dominant ones) will permit flexibility is another question. Any flexibility with those guys seems to always have a price tag attached to it.

JKG

That's what I've always liked about T-Mo, no extra charges for Wifi calling, no extra charges for wifi hotspot, and I have never had a problem getting through from wherever in the US, even in Alaska it roamed on AT&T with no extra fees, although data was reduced. With the wifi calling, the phone works the same on the same number regardless.

Back