iPhone Pulse Oximeter

I wonder if they'll be updating it for newer iPhones and iPads with the Lightning connector?

I wonder if they'll be updating it for newer iPhones and iPads with the Lightning connector?

Yeah, that's... Curious. If not, there'$ alway$ the adapter. $29 for the connector-only one or $39 for the short cable. Should be lower, IMO - Like my MagSafe-MagSafe 2 adapters were only $9.99 (also Apple).

So how much is the blasted thing?

Well, I found it at Turner Medical for the ridiculous price of $249. Not sure if they're just gouging or if that'll be the price at Amazon too. I did leave a comment to the effect that it'd be useful and popular at $49, and pretty much a novelty at $249 when you can buy a standalone, data-logging pulse oximeter with a color screen like my CMS-50E for under $100 now (most places have it for $110-$115, but I found one this morning that had it for $83).

Umm, does the iPhone even have an appropriate sensor to do that? Even if it does, how accurate is it?

Just because it pops some number on the screen does not mean it is useful to protect your life.

Or is this like the "attitude indicator" apps that can't possibly do what they claim to in the presence of any fictitious forces?

'Keeping it simple.... I'm happy with my $25 oximeter... from Costco or Amazon.

The only thing this watch is lacking is a pulse oximeter. Otherwise it would be absolutely perfect for a pilot.

May consider getting this once it becomes available. More and more things for my iPad to do.

The only thing this watch is lacking is a pulse oximeter. Otherwise it would be absolutely perfect for a pilot.

May consider getting this once it becomes available. More and more things for my iPad to do.
I've owned several watches with "altimeters" and found that function to be virtually useless on all of them. None I've ever seen allow the user to set the sea level pressure to get a measure of the real altitude. Many also include a barometric pressure function but the two are independent. The watches I've owned with internal compasses were also quite disappointing WRT that function as well. This one does have a bubble level which helps but IME those are easy to break and without the level it's difficult to get an accurate heading above the 30th parallel. And while I'm on the subject, watches with temperature sensors are kinda useless as well unless you're really interested in the temperature of your wrist.

I have that ones older and more expensive brother, the X10... Probably equally worthless. I haven't bothered to charge the battery in over a year.

I've owned several watches with "altimeters" and found that function to be virtually useless on all of them. None I've ever seen allow the user to set the sea level pressure to get a measure of the real altitude. Many also include a barometric pressure function but the two are independent. The watches I've owned with internal compasses were also quite disappointing WRT that function as well. This one does have a bubble level which helps but IME those are easy to break and without the level it's difficult to get an accurate heading above the 30th parallel. And while I'm on the subject, watches with temperature sensors are kinda useless as well unless you're really interested in the temperature of your wrist.

With the X10 you can set the Kollsman window. :D but it doesn't help anything. Everything else is spot on.

With the X10 you can set the Kollsman window. :D but it doesn't help anything. Everything else is spot on.
The "Kollsman" setting (Sea Level Pressure) only affects the Barometer reading and has no effect on the altimeter display (I suspect that's what you meant by "doesn't help anything"). You can "adjust" the altimeter but unless you already know your altitude you can't set it correctly. I've tried making adjustments based on a 1" = 1000 ft relationship but that involves keeping a record of the altimeter setting used for the previous adjustment and subtracting it from the current setting to come up with the number of feet to increase or decrease. And with that method any mistake will continue until you have an absolute altitude reference to use.

Umm, does the iPhone even have an appropriate sensor to do that? Even if it does, how accurate is it?

Just because it pops some number on the screen does not mean it is useful to protect your life.

Or is this like the "attitude indicator" apps that can't possibly do what they claim to in the presence of any fictitious forces?

Pulse ox sensors are pretty straight forward. two LED's at the proper wavelengths for oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin. A sensor that determines percent absorption of transmitted light at those wavelengths and a little bit of math.. You plug in the sensor to the bottom connector...

Is it fda certified as a medical device? not likely. Is it accurate? very likely, because the calculation is straightforward. If you have good circulation then it can take a reading.

What would I use it for? spot check.. see if theres a problem or lack of a problem, and use that as a data point for determining if further investigation down the "hypoxia" pathway is needed. If there is a problem, you take the patient to an appropriate place and hook them up to the pro grade gear while treating.

I looked at it quickly. the issue is going to be iPhone Battery duration.

This is on the way, and a target price of $49:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/24/insert-coin-semifinalist-smartpulse/

Bluetooth-connected pulse oximeter.
smARtPULSE uses pretty standard photodetection technology for tracking oxygen levels, but its ability to tether to a whole host of other devices via Bluetooth 4.0 is what really sets it apart. There are free Android and iOS apps for those that just want to check their vitals and be done with it, but tinkerers can have a field day with the open-source hardware and upcoming API. At the end of the day, connecting the smARtPULSE to any computer (be it Linux, Windows or OS X) will be pretty simple, and there will even be libraries available for Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Electric Imp. With the prototyping out of the way, now the team is finishing up the API and ironing out the final design.

This is on the way, and a target price of $49:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/24/insert-coin-semifinalist-smartpulse/

Bluetooth-connected pulse oximeter.

That's all gadgety and cool... But it's still a big honkin' thing. What I really want is something I can put on a finger and leave there and almost forget it's there, with the ability to set an alarm at a certain threshold. This and all the other oximeters out there that I've seen are just too big to wear all the time. :(

Back