iPhone Mail App Crashing

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
My iPhone mail app has been displaying an extra message below the status line at the bottom, and when I tap on that, it opens a list of messages and then crashes the app. Usually it exits to the home screen, but sometimes it exits to the iPhone login screen. Any idea what's going on and how to deal with it?

Inbox - Yahoo!_.jpg

Haven't experienced that. Yet.
But the most recent ios upgrade on my iPhone is a total POS. :mad2:
Aggravating enough that for the first time I am seriously considering...horrors...a Samsung. :yikes:

Problem solved. Shutting off the phone and restarting it stopped the crashes, and that allowed me to discover that the mystery messages were drafts of emails that had failed to go out for some reason. Perhaps the restart has solved that problem as well. In any case, I was able to clear them all out.

One flaw of the IOS mail app is that it loses track of some messages, and becomes unable to delete them. Temporarily shutting off the mail account in question (just turn the slider for mail, messages, etc) to off, let them be deleted from your phone, turn them back on, and you should be good to go for a while. I have to do that roughly monthly.

One flaw of the IOS mail app is that it loses track of some messages, and becomes unable to delete them. Temporarily shutting off the mail account in question (just turn the slider for mail, messages, etc) to off, let them be deleted from your phone, turn them back on, and you should be good to go for a while. I have to do that roughly monthly.
Thanks. How long does it generally take for them to be deleted from your phone?

Immediately. The data is deleted from your phone and restored from your mail server.
Thanks. I tried it yesterday, so I'll see what effect it has. I've been forwarding a lot of news articles to myself to transfer them to my desktop computer, and they were accumulating in some sort of outbox in the mail app even though they were sent successfully.

I have cc turned on, so when I send an email, I retain a copy in my inbox. BUT if I send myself an email (like you said you are doing), it fails to send and goes into my "outbox". If I pull up the message from the outbox and edit out the cc to myself and send again, it goes ok.

Don't know if that is part of your problem or not, but it took me a while to figure that out so I though I'd pass it on.

I have cc turned on, so when I send an email, I retain a copy in my inbox. BUT if I send myself an email (like you said you are doing), it fails to send and goes into my "outbox". If I pull up the message from the outbox and edit out the cc to myself and send again, it goes ok.

Don't know if that is part of your problem or not, but it took me a while to figure that out so I though I'd pass it on.
I don't cc myself because sent messages are automatically retained in the "sent" folder.

Haven't experienced that. Yet.
But the most recent ios upgrade on my iPhone is a total POS. :mad2:
Aggravating enough that for the first time I am seriously considering...horrors...a Samsung. :yikes:

Mine says it wants to upgrade but I keep so much stuff on it that it doesn't have quite enough memory available ... :dunno:

I had the same problems this week, on both my iPhone and iPad. I deleted the mail app then reinstalled, then reinstalled my accounts to the app. Ended the crashing AND ended the unsent mail problem.

Last edited:
Anyone having problems with iOS and MacOS not being able to connect to Yahoo email servers?

About the same time this evening, my iPhone and my MacBook have both been unable to connect to a Yahoo email server. My other accounts (gmail and exchange) seem to work ok.

It tells me I need to re-enter the p/w. When I log on through the Yahoo website thing are fine, but the email system in the MacBook and the phone aren't able to connect.

Anyone having problems with iOS and MacOS not being able to connect to Yahoo email servers?

About the same time this evening, my iPhone and my MacBook have both been unable to connect to a Yahoo email server. My other accounts (gmail and exchange) seem to work ok.

It tells me I need to re-enter the p/w. When I log on through the Yahoo website thing are fine, but the email system in the MacBook and the phone aren't able to connect.
Yup. Same here today. I have several email accounts, but only the Yahoo account is glitchy.

Yup. Same here today. I have several email accounts, but only the Yahoo account is glitchy.
I ended up deleting each account and re-setting. Worked fine after that. I have 2 yahoo addresses, so I had to do both on my phone and both on my MacBook. Then I had to repeat for my wife's phone and Macbook login. All the other emails worked fine.

Note: On the phones I didn't have to actually delete them, but I had to re-enter the entire login details (address/pw). On the Mac OS the only way I found I could do that was to delete each Yahoo account and then re-create.

Back