iPhone! Introducing your new mobile phone - mobile everything

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

I know I'll buy one after the first gen bugs are gone.

http://www.macrumorslive.com/

It's a pocket computer/iPod/phone. This will let us get DUATS anywhere.

The UI is incredible.

Watch the stock prices rise like a bullet.

BTW, the iTV is going to be $299. I'll get that too, even though I had my doubts. The price is reasonable.

Last edited:
Re: Introducing your new mobile phone - mobile everything

BTW on iTunes ST:TOS episodes are now available. I have been in geek heaven.

Anyone know who is doing the phone stuff for Apple?? I think the OS is symbian.

What technology are they coming out with first?

BTW on iTunes ST:TOS episodes are now available. I have been in geek heaven.

Anyone know who is doing the phone stuff for Apple?? I think the OS is symbian.

What technology are they coming out with first?

A Cingular logo flashed by.
Apple is making the hardware themselves...well as much as anything else Apple is made... in Chinese factories to their specs.

A Cingular logo flashed by.
Apple is making the hardware themselves...well as much as anything else Apple is made... in Chinese factories to their specs.

I still wonder who is doing the OEM for them. I really doubt they would have taken on developing the protocols and specialized chips for putting a cellphone into their device. They more likely JV'ed with someone to do it per their specs.

BTW everyone manufacturers in China.

Gotta wait until June.

I wonder how many mobile carriers, and cell phone and and MP3 and PDA makers, and Microsoft are wondering how they can ever sell a device again. They're gonna have to look for niches in the market for more inexpensive devices.

We just witnessed a revolution.

Last edited:

Moto stock has been plunging for a few days right now as well as some other mobile makers. There is another thing causing that, not the Apple announcement.

I would really rather see a Wi-Fi iPod or even better a WiMAX iPod

Moto stock has been plunging for a few days right now as well as some other mobile makers. There is another thing causing that, not the Apple announcement.

I would really rather see a Wi-Fi iPod or even better a WiMAX iPod

This has WiFi. I didn't see any indication if it will use WiFi or Bluetooth to Sync. I would imagine that's a matter of time.

This has WiFi. I didn't see any indication if it will use WiFi or Bluetooth to Sync. I would imagine that's a matter of time.

Saw that too. But this has only 8GB of memory (SD expandable but I do not like carrying cards) and I download a lot of TV shows.

Saw that too. But this has only 8GB of memory (SD expandable but I do not like carrying cards) and I download a lot of TV shows.

We can expect the iPhone in coming years will have a lot more storage.

They'll need to make iTunes so you can more easily decide which subset you want in your pocket. iTunes does need a lot of improvement.

I want the capability to split the library because I have 30GB of disk in use on the music folder on my laptop. It's all audio and video podcasts.

I also would still want to use the iPhone as a "modem" for the laptop using Bluetooth, WiFi or USB.

Finally I can have the Pilotcast with me at all times!

(I know Dan, Mike, Kent & Co were waiting for me, their one loyal listener, to say that.)

;)

I wonder how many mobile carriers, and cell phone and and MP3 and PDA makers, and Microsoft are wondering how they can ever sell a device again. They're gonna have to look for niches in the market for more inexpensive devices.

We just witnessed a revolution.

I'd say it's a bit early to start saying that...Apple can just jump into a well established market and instantly take over.

The mp3 player market was not well established when they created the Ipod.

Nokia
Motorola
Sony
Samsung

Those guys are very established. I'm sure they are watching with interest--But I doubt they are about ready to call it quits and go work at McD's like your post almost suggests. They will respond.

Last edited:

I'd say it's a bit early to start saying that...Apple can just jump into a well established market and instantly take over.

The mp3 player market was not well established when they created the Ipod.

Nokia
Motorola
Sony
Samsung

Those guys are very established. I'm sure they are watching with interest--But I doubt they are about ready to call it quits and go work at McD's like your post almost suggests. They will respond.
The market will turn upside down.

Steve said they worked on this for 2 1/2 years and got a lot of patnets to protect it.

The other makers are going to have a really, really rough time find a wedge in to the market where the iPhone will be - the top dollar. top hip, top edge.

I'd like to see the next revisions. It needs 3G, more capacity. We'll see about the battery life.

For most of those who think the $600 for a year or two of use is considered disposable... Remember the 80GB iPod was $499. The biggest issue will be the 2 year contract lock in but you could still buy your way out of that,

Finally I can have the Pilotcast with me at all times!

(I know Dan, Mike, Kent & Co were waiting for me, their one loyal listener, to say that.)

;)

Aw c'mon, we have at least three loyal listeners. ;)

(thousand, or more, that is...)

They'll need to make iTunes so you can more easily decide which subset you want in your pocket. iTunes does need a lot of improvement.

What they really need to do is make the smart playlist feature more obvious. Managing which subset of stuff you want on an iPod (or iPhone) which can't hold your entire library is really VERY EASY. You can even make a playlist that basically consists of "Always this stuff, never this other stuff, and fill whatever's left over with random selections from these other playlists."

I want the capability to split the library because I have 30GB of disk in use on the music folder on my laptop. It's all audio and video podcasts.

What do you mean by "split the library?"

I also would still want to use the iPhone as a "modem" for the laptop using Bluetooth, WiFi or USB.

I'm sure it has the capability of doing GPRS and EDGE, and I'm sure Apple will make it a lot easier to set up than it was when I got my Sony Ericsson phone hooked up with Cingular. Actually, the real problem was that Cingular support folks are clueless.

...They will respond.

Yes, but just as Microsoft responds to Apple innovations, they'll probably always lag a step or three behind. If there's one thing Apple is really damn good at, it's thinking outside the box to create an unbelievable "cool factor" in their products. They even give a lot of thought to the packaging for their products, so that the user experience starts from the moment you touch the box. Most other companies lack this attention to detail, and it's a major reason why "Apple people" keep going back to Apple, and why so many iPod users are switching from Windows to Mac.

Note that Apple tends to not jump into markets until they can bring out a product that will be the best in that market from day one. Think HondaJet. They've been working on this thing for 2 1/2 years, which I believe roughly corresponds to the Motorola ROKR, the original "iTunes phone" which nobody really liked. I'm guessing Steve didn't like it either, which is why you have the iPhone today.

One thing that isn't being mentioned very loudly is that Apple changed their name today. They are no longer Apple Computer Inc, they are just Apple Inc. I would expect we'll see several other revolutionary consumer electronics products out of them in the coming years.

Steve said they worked on this for 2 1/2 years and got a lot of patnets to protect it.

Apple patents will be in the area of the man machine interface. I can say with absolute certainty that Apple does not the key essential patents needed for their phone that will prevent them from paying some pretty significant royalties.

They've been working on this thing for 2 1/2 years, which I believe roughly corresponds to the Motorola ROKR, the original "iTunes phone" which nobody really liked. I'm guessing Steve didn't like it either, which is why you have the iPhone today.

Kudos to Apple. They specified exactly what the ROKR was. Motorola built it to their specifications and now it is being spun as Moto messed up. The spin worked. The truth is of course different. The reason the ROKR was limited to a100 sings was that Apple refused to allow anymore than a 100 song shuffle to be integrated into any phone. They had the iPhone in development and did not want to share that with anyone else. Smart business.

Apple's iPod pretty much stole the show in the MP3 player market for two reasons:

1. The market wasn't heavily saturated with players.
2. Everyone else sucked at marketing.

This is a different story, though. My own Sprint PPC6700 has everything the iPhone has, aside from the Mac OS X. It runs Microsoft Mobile 5, has Bluetooth, Wifi, Internet access (including hooking up my laptop via USB or Bluetooth and acting as a modem), ActiveSync for connections to my office Exchange server, and MP3 and video playback. Verizon has the same phone on their network. There is also the Motorola Q and a Samsung model, along with a few other less popular models. Then there is also the ever present Blackberry, freshly remade after RIM's victory in court.

I love my iPod and enjoy watching Apple's product development. I'm not sure the iPhone is going to be quite the hit that the iPod was, though. Phones change FAST in this business and Apple isn't known for kicking out new models every six months. This is a whole new market with some very established players.

If nothing else, it's going to be interesting to watch.

I'm REALLY curious to see what Cisco does. Cisco holds the registered trademark for "iPhone" with their VoIP products. An Apple vs Cisco battle would be interesting to watch, too.

I followed the keynote with mac rumors live, but now that the reality-distortion field has subsided, I'm not sure I agree the iPhone is a revolution. Don't get me wrong; it is wicked cool.

Here's where I'm coming from: my Sony Ericsson S710a has a cool form factor and very nice screen, but it feels like a brick in my pocket at 137 grams! The SE calendar shows a month at a time, and if a day has appointments, it's date is bolded. Trouble is, it's hard to tell the difference between bold and non-bold days. So, I would looooove something like the OS X experience on my mobile device.

I recently tried the SE K790a. It was smaller and weighed 115 g, which I could tell was much lighter. Calendar still sucked. Other gimmicky stuff. No way I could justify the $400 unlocked price tag to stay with T-Mobile.

My current test subject is the Nokia E70, because I was curious about the flip-out keyboard. It (and the E61) may be the closest hardware-wise to the iPhone, including WiFi & BT. Symbian is not bad, calendar is nicer, works with iSync, and the built-in Opera web browser works well and is similar technology to Safari. The E70 is slightly lighter at 127g, but the E61 (and WiFi-less E62 from Cingular) are a porky 144g. I may try one of the multitudinous N-series offerings next: smaller still and come in a variety of packages.

Size-wise, the iPhone is almost identical to "serious" devices like the Motorola Q, the E62, the Treo 680, and of course, the ubiquitious Blackberries. So, the iPhone could also be a business-class contender. It's the only one of this group that has WiFi. However, the hot new Pearl might have the drop on the iPhone for size.

Yet, that's not what Apples are for. You've got drool-worthy phone software in an absolute block of a piece of hardware. Look how many people sold their firstborns to get the Razr, even though it's software sucked. Thin & flip are in. Phones are almost a fashion statement. Yes, Steve-o did it once with the iPod. I'm not totally convinced on the touchscreen either. I find it technologically cool that they can detect multiple-finger gestures, but "typing" on a glass surface just feels weird. Much different than twirling on that round iPod dial.

It has no memory slot, but I think that's a non-issue. Built-in memories of today's phones are all in the 64MB or less range. SD cards get you up to 2GB, and Sony's Memory Stick Duo Pro just got upgraded to 8GB this month, so the iPhone's 4 or 8 GB should be sufficient for now.

However, the $499/$599 price tag and a switch to Cingular are not.

-Rich

P.S. Ask me again in June when they become available. :rofl:

Last edited:

The market will turn upside down.

For Apple's sake, hopefully they have the right patents. Creative labs had the patent to the touch pad interface that Apple used. So I ask, what did they patent, and will someone find way around it.

$500, 2 year committment, and Cingular. 3 strikes right there.

It is cool though.

Surely you're not trying to say Apple is good at marketing? I mean, really... They're just not. They're terrible, up from atrocious several years ago.

I'm REALLY curious to see what Cisco does. Cisco holds the registered trademark for "iPhone" with their VoIP products. An Apple vs Cisco battle would be interesting to watch, too.

I read an article today that Apple has been in negotiations with Cisco to use the name for some time, and Cisco agreed, with certain unspecified stipulations. Though there is no signed agreement yet, Cisco's CEO was quoted as saying that since Apple made the big splashy intro with the iPhone name today, that he fully expects the agreement to be complete by the end of this week.

Apple is at least getting a little more business-smart in their old age.

Kudos to Apple. They specified exactly what the ROKR was. Motorola built it to their specifications and now it is being spun as Moto messed up. The spin worked. The truth is of course different. The reason the ROKR was limited to a100 sings was that Apple refused to allow anymore than a 100 song shuffle to be integrated into any phone. They had the iPhone in development and did not want to share that with anyone else. Smart business.

I do not think the iPhone was in development yet at the time. Even if it was, the iPhone wouldn't have been the direct reason for the 100-song limit. In reality, limits higher than that or no limits at all would have put the phone into some fairly serious competition with the iPods of the day, which obviously was not in Apple's best interest.

Either way, people expeced the ROKR to be something different. The limit was one thing, but Moto has never been very good at designing user interfaces. The Moto phones I've used have ranged from average to nearly unusable (Hmm, to change ringer volume I have to hold * for three seconds and then press #86? Wow, that's intuitive... :rolleyes:). With the presence of iTunes, when you held the ROKR, you realized that what you really wanted was not an "iPod phone" or an "iTunes phone," you wanted an APPLE phone. I think Apple came to that realization at about the same time the rest of us did. Thankfully, they waited until they had a good product before introducing it. Kudos, indeed.

The word is Apple and Cisco made a deal that was being negotiated right up until Tuesday morning. Steve wanted that "iPhone" name.

If you think about it, they thought this phone was so revolutionary they could hang the company's future on it. They sure didn't want it to have a name like "iPod Communicator" or "Mac Mobile." The name had to have two syllables.

I do not think the iPhone was in development yet at the time. Even if it was, the iPhone wouldn't have been the direct reason for the 100-song limit. In reality, limits higher than that or no limits at all would have put the phone into some fairly serious competition with the iPods of the day, which obviously was not in Apple's best interest.

Either way, people expeced the ROKR to be something different. The limit was one thing, but Moto has never been very good at designing user interfaces. The Moto phones I've used have ranged from average to nearly unusable (Hmm, to change ringer volume I have to hold * for three seconds and then press #86? Wow, that's intuitive... :rolleyes:). With the presence of iTunes, when you held the ROKR, you realized that what you really wanted was not an "iPod phone" or an "iTunes phone," you wanted an APPLE phone. I think Apple came to that realization at about the same time the rest of us did. Thankfully, they waited until they had a good product before introducing it. Kudos, indeed.

Steve said it was the end of 2 1/2 years of develp;oment. The iPhone is so complex it's a miracle they got it to the stage that i could pull off this demo in 2 1/2 years. That screen technology didn't exist 2 1/2 years ago, although they could have anticipated it would come along when they needed it.

I have a Windows Mobile 5 phone. I hoped I could run aviation and other apps on it. Cingular and HTC decided to hold the CPU speed to 200Mhz so it locks up just trying to boot when a calendar reminder comes up early. I discovered it works better if the battery is kept full.

The UI? Almost usable, but one example of nonsense: If I want to see the battery charge - Settings, System, Tab, Power, click click click. The same when I want to clear memory so the da* thing can respond. It just drips with Microsoftness - each module was written by a different independent set of free-Coca-cola-fueled fresh CS grads siloed from the others working on it.

I understood that when the ROKR came out. When the Motorola CEO dissed the iPod you knew he was frustrated. Steve is looking out a lotta years. It's amazing they've learned to keep things secret so well.

I'm very afraid for the new partner, Cingular. If Apple is supposed to support the phone...Steve is going to go ballistic when customers complain about Cingular's usual SNAFUs. Cingular's CEO can count on getting some not gentle feedback from Mr. Jobs. They are not going to meet Job's standards.

Last edited:
Surely you're not trying to say Apple is good at marketing? I mean, really... They're just not. They're terrible, up from atrocious several years ago.

In comparison to everything else on the market, the introduction and subsequent marketing of the iPod was stellar. Newer versions got even better. When people think MP3 player, they think of iPod. That's successful marketing.

The thing that is really going to be hard for Apple is that they do not sell these to consumers. You and I are not the customer for this phone. Cingular is the customer.

This is a huge problem in the cell phone industry that really stifles some innovation. Since the customer for the phones is the carrier they decide what gets sold to the end user and what is allowed on their network. Yes there are some unlocked phones but the prices are very high because they are not subsidized by the carrier and their functionality is reduced because they lack the customization that is needed on some carriers networks.

This phone, for the low tier model, will sell for $499 subsidized by Cingular. Which is pretty high for a phone price. If an unsubsidized model is sold it will be a few hundred dollars more and that will be an even smaller market chunk.

So what they are up against is a cheaper fully functional iPod for $299 and a separate 'phone for free' sales model. That will be a tough market to break into. Smart phones are already just a niche market and they have been around for a while. This is a niche phone for the niche market.

Ask yourself if you wanted an iPOD and a phone would you be willing to potentially switch phone carriers, get into a two year contract, and still pay more than you would have paid for two separate devices? Plus if you leave Cingular your iPHONE may not work on the other network you want to use so now you are stuck with only a half functioning device.

It is a cool device that is stifled by how cellular operates run their networks. That is why I was mentioning the WiMAX version of the iPhone that could be a bigger chuck and better choice. We just need to get WiMAX networks built.

I finally came to understand that the iPhone was not built for me, the business user.

They can tote that they have email all they want, but there is the keyboard? On the touch screen? No thanks.

Also, what is the batter life. My Axim (which I LOVE) eats batters like crazy to power its 3.7" screen. So if someone listens to their 'tunes or watches a movie on a two hour flight, how much batter time is going to be left for phone usage, or vice-versa?

Heck even in Star Trek the communications device was separate to all all the other cool devices.

Apple's iPod pretty much stole the show in the MP3 player market for two reasons:

1. The market wasn't heavily saturated with players.
Now that's rather ironic to hear, because usually it's Apple that sucks at marketing. Another poster compared MS being one or three steps behind Apple, which has traditionally been true, but the MS Marketing juggernaut gets world wide kudos for implementing features from Apples previous (or two) releases.

I'm not buying it. At least not until a few versions down the line. And I'll tell you why:
  1. 4 or 8GB? And no SD slot? That must be a joke. This is 2007. Sorry, I'm not paying $600 for a Nano that I may be able to make the occasional phone call on. And I say "occasional" because...
  2. Cingular.
  3. I don't trust Apple to write any more software than lives on the IPod. If they themselves don't trust their developers to the point that they had them NOT write more than half of OS X, there's no reason I should trust them to put out a quality piece of software either.
  4. The screen and UI just doesn't impress me that much. Cool? Yeah. $600 + the medical bills associated with a 2-year Cingular contract cool? Nuh-uh. Not by a long shot.
  5. Where's wireless sync/edit with my iTunes library? Again... It's 2007, Mr. Jobs, and if all I'm gonna get is 4 or 8GB it's ridiculous that for $600 that's not possible.
  6. The screen just screams, "I'm going to get scratched to the point of unreadability." But we're supposed to watch movies on it? Right. Of course, I guess one can't really squeeze THAT many movies into 4GB anyway, so I guess that's moot.
  7. 2 1/2 years to develop a Nano that browses the web and makes phone calls? Something ain't right there.
I know I'll be relentlessly flamed by the Mac fanboys and all the nouveau techies (and tech investors) caught up in Steve Jobs' RDF, but I guess I could sum up my feelings by saying this: Steve Jobs is a visionary, and the iPod is probably the best product of the last 10 years. But what it comes down to for me is the fact that I look at a 30+ year-old company that despite its leadership position at the time wound up asleep at the switch during the biggest phase of (arguably) the most significant revolution in human-kind, has since had one real commercially successful product, and even after 30 years, still can't write software. So let's just say I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt with the iPhone, like so many others are so quick to.

That said, if the iPhone eventually turns out to be as great as it could be, I may just buy one.

Last edited:
T That is why I was mentioning the WiMAX version of the iPhone that could be a bigger chuck and better choice. We just need to get WiMAX networks built.

And now, Mike, Slappy, grant, Leslie, and I can have our WiMAX Network

Motorola To Build Out WiMAX Network in the Windy City
bookmark_big.gif

Jan 08, 2007
redbox.gif
News Release

chicago6.jpg
Motorola, Inc. has been awarded the Chicago market by Sprint Nextel for the build-out of its WiMAX wireless broadband service.

Motorola will deploy WiMAX infrastructure to at least 1,000 sites in the greater Chicagoland area, providing select area coverage that complements Sprint Nextel's existing EV-DO network. Initial service is expected to begin late in 2007, with the commercial launch set for the first half of 2008.

In addition to the Chicago build out, Motorola also is participating in WiMAX equipment and software trials at Sprint Nextel's 4G laboratory, located in Herndon, Va.

"We are proud to be working with Sprint Nextel to bring the Windy City true wireless broadband service with WiMAX technology," said Fred Wright, senior vice president, Motorola Networks and Enterprise. "Motorola's WiMAX technology is poised to deliver wireless broadband data speeds -- that significantly exceed the performance of today's 3G technology solutions -- to a new generation of consumer electronics devices as well as more traditional multi-media and specialized data devices."

Motorola's carrier-class WiMAX access points, which feature a combination of MIMO antenna techniques and software defined radios (SDR) combined with distributed network IP architecture provides flexibility in network deployments and enables operators to choose among many third-party vendors to add applications and services.

The company's WiMAX solutions are designed to support fixed, portable, nomadic and mobile applications. The WiMAX access points, customer premises equipment and mobile WiMAX chipsets under development for use in Motorola's devices are part of the MOTOwi4 portfolio of solutions that complement and complete wireless broadband networks. T

his week, Motorola is partnering with Sprint Nextel to showcase the strength and breadth of the MOTOwi4 wireless broadband portfolio, including WiMAX solutions, at the 2007 International CES in Las Vegas.

And now, Mike, Slappy, grant, Leslie, and I can have our WiMAX Network

[/b]
Scott, it says CHICAGO, not ChicagoLAND. What makes you think it'll work as far out as Cary or Romeoville? Now my office is two miles from Moto's HQ, so I have a chance at work. Of course I've been with Verizon forever, so if I need to switch I'm not sure it's happening. Here's hoping, though!

Scott, it says CHICAGO, not ChicagoLAND. What makes you think it'll work as far out as Cary or Romeoville? Now my office is two miles from Moto's HQ, so I have a chance at work. Of course I've been with Verizon forever, so if I need to switch I'm not sure it's happening. Here's hoping, though!

You're office is already in coverage. I cannot comment anymore than the press release. I would keep my voice provider for a while and use the WiMAX for the high speed data access.

You're office is already in coverage. I cannot comment anymore than the press release. I would keep my voice provider for a while and use the WiMAX for the high speed data access.
Hmmm... Seems like I need to learn a little more about WiMAX. It's been off my radar until now.

How? Does your computer see it as a WiFi access point?

I won't need it for home access, but using at work in da loop would be seriously cool. I have a private WiFi account but it won't work at my desk. It does work in the lobby and food court. When my desk gets moved this Spring I won't have it the building.

Last edited:
How? Does your computer see it as a WiFi access point?
WiMAX is entirely different than that old tired WiFi stuff.

Until Intel gets WiMAX in their chips computers will have to use a PCMCIA card for WiMAX access. Several companies have been trialing these cards as well as CPEs for the home nomadic access. There is also one Schaumburg based company that has made a mention or two at WiMAX world about WiMAX handsets.

WiMAX is a Metro coverage. So it works where you want it to work and Mobile WiMAX will allow you to use it while moving and vehicular speeds. Sprint will be deploying the mobile variant.

WiMAX is entirely different than that old tired WiFi stuff.

Until Intel gets WiMAX in their chips computers will have to use a PCMCIA card for WiMAX access. Several companies have been trialing these cards as well as CPEs for the home nomadic access. There is also one Schaumburg based company that has made a mention or two at WiMAX world about WiMAX handsets.

WiMAX is a Metro coverage. So it works where you want it to work and Mobile WiMAX will allow you to use it while moving and vehicular speeds. Sprint will be deploying the mobile variant.

K. We Macbook owners need it in an ExpressCard unless somebody makes a USB adapter.

Back