iPhone GPS and data usage n/a

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
I've gotten in the habit of using my iPhone map app for turn by turn directions in the car. If I keep that running on a long drive, does it use up a lot of data? Verizon gives me 2gb a month, which is a lot, but I don't know if this is like streaming data or something.

Similarly, anyone use running apps like mapmyrun? Same question--does it eat up a lot of data?

Thanks

Since you mention a data plan, I likely am correct you have a WiFi+3g or 4g iPhone.

If that's correct, there is already a GPS in your phone that the different apps can access to plot your position. The iDevices will use the cell towers to improve the resolution for a tighter plot.

So if you don't mind a greater error, you can turn off Cell Data WiFi in the Settings and go with GPS only. This will still permit you to make and receive phone calls, but you won't be access the internet as you travel.

GPS should still function but not eat into your data allotment.

Since you mention a data plan, I likely am correct you have a WiFi+3g or 4g iPhone.

If that's correct, there is already a GPS in your phone that the different apps can access to plot your position. The iDevices will use the cell towers to improve the resolution for a tighter plot.

So if you don't mind a greater error, you can turn off Cell Data WiFi in the Settings and go with GPS only. This will still permit you to make and receive phone calls, but you won't be access the internet as you travel.

Or you can buy a dedicated GPS with lifetime map updates for < $100.00 at Wally World, and never have to worry about data charges again.

Just because your phone is capable of dong something doesn't mean it's the most common-sense way to do it.

-Rich

The data usage is updating the map, not the GPS position.

I've never measured it but I haven't seen any big blips on my data usage when I've been using the map app.

I'm not aware of any other kind of iPhone. You thinking of iPads? :yes:

This isn't really the question he's asking, unless I am mistaken. Using GPS while driving for turn-by-turn directions DOES use a small amount of data, like to download the routing information or to update (such as when making a wrong turn). It also uses data to download the basemap as you move along. I'm relatively certain but not positive that Apple Maps is not going to work well without an active data connection even though the GPS itself is more than capable of figuring out the position.

Fortunately, it doesn't use much data. On my Android device, which is going to be reasonably comparable, I can see exactly how much data each app has used, and Maps is always very, very little. Dunno if that feature is available on iOS or not. For example, I have used 1.99 GB so far this month, of which 0.68 is YouTube & Netflix, 0.48 is web browsing, and 0.08 is Maps.

edit -- yes, on iOS you can view your individual app usage: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4146 Go take a look and see how much you're actually using.

Last edited:
Maps will usually cache, so you download them once for the area you are in. Real time traffic can eat up data pretty quick. GPS itself does not use data.

Get the tom tom app. It downloads the maps so you do not rely on cell service. I love mine. Kinda like the Wing X app.

I use my IPhone map daily for a few hours at a time....doesn't seem to use much if any of my data.

dunno about data usage, but the driving directions moving map app really eats the battery life

dunno about data usage, but the driving directions moving map app really eats the battery life

:yeahthat:

Largely because of the screen being on at a high brightness setting. I know on Google Maps on Android (maybe on iOS too) you can set it to turn off the screen until a turn is approaching which will help. But honestly, in the car it's not a big deal to keep it plugged in anyway.

Back