iPhone and Remote management

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
Picked up a near perfect iPhone XR for the kids in case of emergency - no SIM restrictions

Got it home only to find out days later that MDM remote management was installed which seems to have locked it to a different carrier than the SIM from the kids order phone

Anyway to remove MDM locl ?

It’s usually just an app. I take it you can’t simply delete it? I did so with MDM on my work phone, as I did not need to do emails or anything else work related from my phone other than calls and texts.

Open Settings, search for "Profile" - it's in the VPN & Device Management section now, but I think it's moved around some with various releases of iOS. There's probably a management profile, or several of them, that you may be able to remove. Or maybe not, it depends on who put the profile there and how. There are numerous different ways to manage iOS devices with various MDM products, some are easy to get rid of... and some not.

Open Settings, search for "Profile" - it's in the VPN & Device Management section now, but I think it's moved around some with various releases of iOS. There's probably a management profile, or several of them, that you may be able to remove. Or maybe not, it depends on who put the profile there and how. There are numerous different ways to manage iOS devices with various MDM products, some are easy to get rid of... and some not.

This one is definitely not in the east category

This one is definitely not in the east category
It’s possible that the phone was a corporate phone that was either misappropriated… stolen… or they simply neglected to remove it from their management system.

I don’t have deep knowledge of Apple MDM; we do manage some Macs and a few phones and tablets, but MDM is not my main area of expertise and my guys are 90% Microsoft and 10% Apple. An Apple store person could probably tell you what the deal is.

If you can't get rid of the MDM profile, you might try resetting the phone to its factory settings using iTunes or Finder on a computer. This erases everything, including the MDM profile. But, in my opinion, it might not work if the MDM has rules that stop you from resetting the phone.
It will also not do much good if the device is attached to an Apple Business Manager account and they use something like Jamf or Kandji to manage devices. This is fairly common with corporate devices. If you nuke one of our managed laptops or phones, it will cheerfully return to its former self once restarted.

It will also not do much good if the device is attached to an Apple Business Manager account and they use something like Jamf or Kandji to manage devices. This is fairly common with corporate devices. If you nuke one of our managed laptops or phones, it will cheerfully return to its former self once restarted.

Update.. managed to remove the MDM using some software with really bad documentation that missed a critical step in the process

You can just say “software”; the rest is generally just assumed to be true.

Back