iPhone 6/6+ on Verizon

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
Have any of you guys with iPhone 6 or 6+ handsets on Verizon's network experienced an increase in dropped calls?

A co-worker recently upgraded from an iPhone 4s to the 6 and is dropping calls frequently. He's had the problem regardless of the VoLTE setting (on or off). Verizon tech support told him to "toggle" the VoLTE setting when he encounters the issue, but unfortunately by that point the call has already been dropped. They also replaced the SIM, reset network settings, and eventually swapped the phone for a new one. Most or all of the dropped calls appear to be on the CDMA network, and all are in areas where he had no problem for years with the iPhone 4s. Not sure whether the phone or the network is to blame, or whether it has anything to do with the dual technology networks (CDMA/LTE) that Verizon is running.

I suggested perhaps dropping back to an iPhone 5s on Verizon, but apparently Verizon tech support informed him that there are different issues with the 5s on Verizon's network. I have a 5s on AT&T's network and can't complain most of the time (except for the cost!)

JKG

I was a long time ATT iPhone customer. They lost me around Thanksgiving and I flipped to Verizon. Me, wife, two iPhone 5s to 6plus and two iPads on cell data. Since then Wifey's been all over the map. I've spent my time in Alaska, California, and Texas. Neither of us has had any problem. In fact we decommissioned our M-cell and still get great reception in the south house. That's a treat. We're happy with the switch.

I don't remember the last time I experienced a drop call on my BlackBerry...

Rich

I'm on the 6 since the day it was available and could count the number of dropped calls on half of one hand.

Thanks guys. Perhaps it is a localized issue, though an Internet search seems to indicate that it is a common problem in some areas. The best solution that I've been able to find is that if it's a frequent occurrence, disabling LTE altogether (both voice and data) may resolve it.

JKG

I have the iPhone 7s+ on verizon and haven't had a problem recently.

You mentioned that usual fix. Disable VoLTE. The problem is on the fringes of LTE coverage there's still coverage in CDMA but they can't hand off properly between the two networks.

Or iPhone can't.

Nobody is saying. Probably like all tech things it's problems in both the network and the devices. The universal chipsets being used in the devices now have to track and switch between an awful lot of frequencies and base technologies just to figure out when they're in range of something on a particular carrier.

But don't just toggle it if your area is mixed tech. Turn it all the way off until the LTE really takes over completely with three bars or better in all areas you travel regularly.

The gear (and bands in use) are being changed significantly in a lot of markets right now.

Happens on all of the carriers right now, actually.

And will be a different experience in different markets, depending on what's rolled out.

Oh it can also be geographic, too. Driving between two areas served by different head end controllers can trigger a drop at a specific location, every time. We've seen that on both VZ and TMo going from the city to the rural networks.

Back