iPhone 5S review

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I just ordered mine. My current phone is a 2009 iPhone 3. It is finally dying.

What do you think of your 5S, if you have one?

I had a love/hate relationship with the 3.

Work gave me one. It works. The finger print thing is handy but a little creepy.

I have a 5s as an upgrade from a flip phone. The only other smartphone I've owned was a BlackBerry several years ago.

The 5s is what you'd expect of a high end phone from Apple; well built and refined. The fingerprint sensor generally works well, but I eventually turned it off because I noticed that its sensitivity diminished over time, requiring a re-training of the fingerprint to correct. However, Apple supposedly addressed that problem with a recent iOS update, and I haven't reenabled the fingerprint since the update to see if there is a noticeable improvement.

JKG

I had the same previous phone and upgraded when mine started getting difficult to power on and off/bat life reduced. I like my 5S a lot and makes a good Foreflight backup to my Ipad on xc trips.

I get to play with a 5s but I still use a 4G. If I needed a new phone I'd go with a 5s but it's not enough better to justify upgrading it just to upgrade it.

Darn nice phone, had one for a while, having traded up from a 4.

Wife recently got a 5c, and it seems to work just about as well, if saving money is important. Ours go in cases for protection anyway, so the phone construction matters little.

I have a 4S and my girlfriend has a 5, I like my 4s, it's got the retena display it is plenty fast enough for what I do (web, email, YouTube etc) but it not HUGE.

The 5 is just too big IMO, it weighs less then my 4s but its just big enough to bug me when I have carried her phone around.

Also my 4s being jailbroken and unlocked is a huge plus too ($60month unlimited everything, with $20 in international calling no contract) :)

Love it. Faster processor than the 4S, which seems incredibly slow now when I use my wife's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just ordered mine. My current phone is a 2009 iPhone 3. It is finally dying.

I had a love/hate relationship with the 3.

Ben,

I've had a 5s for several months and love it. If you're still on a 3G (not 3Gs - 1st half of 2009), you'll be amazed at the difference.

Just curious - What do you hate about the iPhone you have now? That would go a long way to helping you know whether you'd like or hate the 5s.

Ben,

I've had a 5s for several months and love it. If you're still on a 3G (not 3Gs - 1st half of 2009), you'll be amazed at the difference.

Just curious - What do you hate about the iPhone you have now? That would go a long way to helping you know whether you'd like or hate the 5s.

What I hate is partially not the phone's fault. It is slow and can't retain a charge for very long. The first part is just the technology at the time, and the second part is the fact that it has been recharged thousands of times.

Phone just arrived today! Looking forward to playing around with it!

I had a 3, hated it, got a Nexus which I've been using since they came out. Just got an iPhone 5S from work, it's okay... I prefer the Nexus for maps, directions (Siri can't find half the stuff I ask her to), and web browsing. The only thing I find useful in the iPhone over the Nexus so far is the ability to subscribe to podcasts.

I'm getting one. I had an iPhone for 4 years the made the mistake of going android with a Sony Z1. Its a great phone and the camera is fantastic, but I miss the simple way the iPhone works.

I've owned four Android phones, most recently an HTC One, but decided a couple of months ago to try Apple for awhile. I love the way my 5S feels - it's truly a superior phone to hold in your hand - and it generally performs very, very well.

That said, I greatly prefer the Android interface and the customization it offers over iOS. From answering a call to organizing the home screen, the Apple Way of doing things feels almost archaic by comparison. I also haven't been able to fully sync Gmail over to iOS, and occasionally miss some emails that have been routed to a folder without seeing a notification.

Speaking of notifications, I also miss having a flashing LED after missed calls, etc. without having to wake up the phone.

Last edited:
I've got a 5s, got it back around the beginning of the year. I hated and hated and hated on iOS and everything about it, and refused anything but android. I quite like iOS at this point, the phone is great.

The 5 is just too big IMO, it weighs less then my 4s but its just big enough to bug me when I have carried her phone around.

huh.... i found the 5s to feel much smaller because it's so much thinner... longer yes, but barely noticeable in my pocket...

I like the fingerprint deally more than I expected... just makes it easier....

I would try android, but i like the smaller form factor, and now that I'm hooked on foreflight I'll stick with apple.

I've played with it a bit. HUGE improvement over the iPhone 3 that I had. Of course, since that's highly dated, the improvement was to be expected.

I love the camera, and the feel in the hand. Size is perfect--don't need something as large as the Galaxy. For a medium screen, I'll use the iPad Air.

Question: do any of you run things like Foreflight on the iPhone or other smartphone? Is it worth it, or better to use it on a tablet?

Question: do any of you run things like Foreflight on the iPhone or other smartphone? Is it worth it, or better to use it on a tablet?

For in-flight use, you want an iPad. But since ForeFlight lets you run multiple devices with a single subscription, it's worth having on your iPhone too. A few things in particular that the iPhone is quite good at with ForeFlight:

1) Calling ahead to FBO's. Tap the airport in your flight plan (or type the identifier), tap FBO's, tap an FBO name, tap their phone number, call. Since you have to do all but the last tap to find their phone number anyway, it's quite handy.

2) Checking weather. You'd think that a smaller screen would suck at giving you the big picture, but it's kind of the opposite. The smaller, lower resolution screen can give you a wide-range radar picture, show a ton of METAR results, etc. just fine. Turn on Radar and Ceiling (or Flight Rules) overlays and you can get a pretty good big-picture weather situation. Tap the dot over the airport to see the METAR. Or, if you're wondering whether to head to the airport at all, just tap "Nearest" in the menu to see weather at the closest fields. Tap one for more details.

Okay, those are my favorites. But, the iPhone version can do just about anything the iPad can do, just smaller! Always good for when you aren't carrying the iPad around 'cuz it won't fit in your pocket.

As sucky and cramped it would be to primarily use an iPhone for VFR navigation or situational awareness...

...to keep things in perspective, compare the screen size with that of a 496, let's say. Not all that different.

Compare the screen resolution, and there's no contest. Have not used the Aerea line, is I can't compare there.

I do find the "tweaked" phone interface of WingXPro7 frustrating, and have told their reps several times, to no avail. No reason why clicking on a waypoint in your "route" should not bring up options, as it does in the iPad version.

mazy8a8u.jpg

Back