iPhone 5

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I didn't see a thread specifically on the iPhone 5 release. I see the one for iOS 6. If I missed something, let me know. :dunno:

So, who's upgrading? I've been on Android (phone and tablets) for years; first iOS device was the iPad, for ForeFlight usage. Me and my bride are moving to the iPhone for the first time tomorrow (iPhone 5); she's getting a Mac of some sort this coming anniversary.

And, just to knowingly throw fuel on the fire (this is for you, Jay, but I thought it was funny, too!):

I'm converting from Windows phones for 2 reasons:

1- Backup for Foreflight
2- Tapatalk for PoA
:mad2::D:rofl::rofl:

I'm converting from Windows phones for 2 reasons:

1- Backup for Foreflight
2- Tapatalk for PoA
:mad2::D:rofl::rofl:

#1 is my primary reason. And, I'd like to have music/pictures in sync on all my devices. Right now, with Windows desktop / Android phone / iPad tablet it's a little tough. Dropbox and Google makes things somewhat easier, but not as integrated as it is on a single platform.

The video made me laugh my butt off.

But I want to know who I can call on FaceTime to see tits. That's a lie. ;)

Do they have to be girl tits? :rofl: :rofl:

You know, at this point in this stupid week, I don't care. Ha.

Work has me installing WSUS. Right.

20 year (okay maybe 17) Linux guy who hasn't maintained a Windows server since before Active Directory existed, looking at documentation about applying Global Policy via the most bastardized version of LDAP on the planet.

"Can't you guys just do this **** with rsync and yum? What is wrong with you people?" ;) ;) ;)

I have trouble understanding why people feel the need to stand in line for hours to be the first to get one of these phones, or sneakers or any freaking thing for all that matters.

That was the most hilarious anti-iPhone5 video yet, Troy. Stolen and shared!

What's funnier still are the Samsung and Nokia commercials that are openly ridiculing Apple's latest effort. You know Apple has truly jumped the shark when Samsung's six-month old S3 outperforms the latest, greatest offering from Cupertino.

Now, the question is: Who ARE these people standing in line to buy such an unexciting new product? What could possess thousands of people to take time off work to stand in line to buy an iPhone5? Mass hysteria? Whatever it is, P.T. Barnum would appreciate it.

IMHO, looking at pictures like the one, below, is like viewing the high-tech version of those grotesque Walmart shopper pix. You laugh, but at some level you feel sorry for them.

longline-iphone5-cube_610x404.jpg

I think the thing that bugs me the most about this picture is the eerie similarity to fanatical Harry Potter fans, or the Lord of the Ring fans that showed up for each of the three movies, giving play by play comparisons to the books, or over zealous Trekkies and Star Wars devotees, etc.

The Iphone 5, for pretty much anyone in line for more than a couple of hours, is probably the full extent of their joy. Sad.

The phone maybe amazing, but it's not the freaking Beatles.

You know, at this point in this stupid week, I don't care. Ha.

Work has me installing WSUS. Right.

20 year (okay maybe 17) Linux guy who hasn't maintained a Windows server since before Active Directory existed, looking at documentation about applying Global Policy via the most bastardized version of LDAP on the planet.

"Can't you guys just do this **** with rsync and yum? What is wrong with you people?" ;) ;) ;)

I feel your pain.

-Rich

I have trouble understanding why people feel the need to stand in line for hours to be the first to get one of these phones, or sneakers or any freaking thing for all that matters.

It is really baffling... and a bit sad.

I've been tempted to leave full shopping carts in the supermarket because the checkout line was three deep. I just have this thing about waiting on long lines to give someone my money.

So these people waiting for hours to be the first to buy a blasted phone... I don't get it at all.

Unless...

Maybe people are paying them to wait on line, in which case I commend them for their resourcefulness and their willingness to work. That may be just what's going on, in fact. Certainly the only way I'd wait on a line that long would be if someone were paying me.

-Rich

My daughter just asked the most salient question of the day:

"Dad, how did Samsung get sued for stealing technology from Apple? The Samsung S3 is BETTER than the iPhone5, and it came out six months ago!"

I have no answer for her.

The only thing I would wait in line for is to get in the Pearly Gates.

Just hoping I qualify.

Cheers

Great New Yorker cartoon depicted St. Peter with the flowing robes looking at the tablets in search of name of the little guy standing in wait. Caption said "oh I found your name, it's over here on the shlt list."

The only thing I would wait in line for is to get in the Pearly Gates.

Just hoping I qualify.

Cheers

So I'm reading this on tapatalk, using my iPhone 5. I was not waiting in line. I did the order online, switch carriers and enjoy another work from home day because my new carrier required a signature on delivery.

That being said,it's a nice phone. I had a iPhone4 and was very happy with it, didn't really need to upgrade, but the home button was working about 1 of every 3-4 pushes. I figured I'd deal with the problem until the new one came out.

I'm not impressed with the loss of google maps. The screen,ehh, not that big if a deal,thinner- it's not a concealed carry firearm, don't really care, better battery life, slightly faster processor,yea, that'll work- home button that works,ill take it. (And LTE is a nice addition as well)

Wait in line for hours, this thing isn't a roller coaster at an amusement park on Saturday of a holiday weekend...

I'm torn between going over to Apple for the iPhone 5 or go android with the Galexy III. Time to dump my BlackBerry. Only reason to go IPhone is to share the apps on my IPad.

"Dad, how did Samsung get sued for stealing technology from Apple? The Samsung S3 is BETTER than the iPhone5, and it came out six months ago!"

You have to remember, the court system moves at the speed of government. The suit was over the S2 series stealing from the original iPhone which came out in 2007.

You have to remember, the court system moves at the speed of government. The suit was over the S2 series stealing from the original iPhone which came out in 2007.

Of course! Never dawned on me, for some reason. D'oh!

That was back when Apple was cool, hip, and innovative...

I'm torn between going over to Apple for the iPhone 5 or go android with the Galexy III. Time to dump my BlackBerry. Only reason to go IPhone is to share the apps on my IPad.

I've had the Galaxy SIII for two weeks, now, and can highly recommend it. It's been flawless in every way. The camera is amazing -- way better than my old Droid's, and now on a par with my stand-alone Canon digital. And the screen on the phone is stunning -- it's almost TOO bright.

And 4G rocks. We had it in Reno (don't have it on the island, yet), and it was smoking fast. Faster than the hotel's wifi.

It's simple: They ripped off Apple's ideas and put them in their own product which they sold for (slightly) less money. You can be quick to market and less expensive when you just copy most of what the other guy is doing, and don't have all of that pesky R&D to worry about. Samsung was making phones a LONG time before Apple, and if they were innovators, they would have made a market splash long before Apple did with the iPhone. Evidence in the recent court case made it pretty clear that their strategy was simply to copy Apple. That's just pathetic.

"Better" depends on whether you're evaluating something as a tool or a toy. A slightly bigger screen or faster graphics doesn't necessarily make something a "better" tool. It's always amusing to watch the Android users work feverishly to find the app or combination of apps that will try to get them most of the way to the functionality of a single iOS app. Why the heck would I want to buy into a platform that doesn't have all of the high-end apps? I don't get it.

I'm still carrying a flip-phone (ironically, a Samsung) and have never owned an iPhone. I seriously evaluated Android phones a year or so ago, but quickly realized that I'd have to put a bit of effort into finding the right apps and customizations to get me to where I needed to be for it to be a serious tool. I don't have time to play with phones (or tablets), I need them to work for me right out of the box. No one but Apple offers such a consistent experience on a mobile platform at this point.

JKG

As much as I don't get the fanatic associated with the Iphone, I am well aware of its value. I have an HTC EVO that shuts itself off all the time. Annoys the heck out of me. Sprint is my carrier and even with unlimited calls and data, I lose an average of three calls a day. I'm leaving for hopefully greener pastures but I'm waiting to see if the Ipad mini will eliminate my need to even carry a smart phone. If it's not as impressive as it appears, I'll go I phone on Verizon.

As much as I don't get the fanatic associated with the Iphone, I am well aware of its value. I have an HTC EVO that shuts itself off all the time. Annoys the heck out of me. Sprint is my carrier and even with unlimited calls and data, I lose an average of three calls a day. I'm leaving for hopefully greener pastures but I'm waiting to see if the Ipad mini will eliminate my need to even carry a smart phone. If it's not as impressive as it appears, I'll go I phone on Verizon.

Why would you put up with a phone that is broken?:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 7

It's simple: They ripped off Apple's ideas and put them in their own product which they sold for (slightly) less money. You can be quick to market and less expensive when you just copy most of what the other guy is doing, and don't have all of that pesky R&D to worry about. Samsung was making phones a LONG time before Apple, and if they were innovators, they would have made a market splash long before Apple did with the iPhone. Evidence in the recent court case made it pretty clear that their strategy was simply to copy Apple. That's just pathetic.

"Better" depends on whether you're evaluating something as a tool or a toy. A slightly bigger screen or faster graphics doesn't necessarily make something a "better" tool. It's always amusing to watch the Android users work feverishly to find the app or combination of apps that will try to get them most of the way to the functionality of a single iOS app. Why the heck would I want to buy into a platform that doesn't have all of the high-end apps? I don't get it.

I'm still carrying a flip-phone (ironically, a Samsung) and have never owned an iPhone. I seriously evaluated Android phones a year or so ago, but quickly realized that I'd have to put a bit of effort into finding the right apps and customizations to get me to where I needed to be for it to be a serious tool. I don't have time to play with phones (or tablets), I need them to work for me right out of the box. No one but Apple offers such a consistent experience on a mobile platform at this point.

JKG

The Galaxy S3 is the best phone in the world. Period.

I personally don't care if the biggest, most powerful corporation in the world thinks that the tenth biggest (or whatever Samsung is) ripped off their technology five years ago -- which is what that suit was all about.

A. If Apple was so miffed with them, why is Samsung still a primary Apple contractor?

B. Five year old technology in phones is like 50 year old technology in cars. Whatever Samsung learned in '07 is surely irrelevant now.

So, back to the point. I have the best phone in history in my pocket. It's affordable, performed flawlessly straight out of the box, and unlike the iPhone is eminently and nearly infinitely user-adjustable and configurable. I like it a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Why would you put up with a phone that is broken?:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 7

I can't get Sprint to definitively diagnose the problem with my phone. My contract is until April of next year and I'm determined to either get through this agreement without spending an extra dime or ditch when the penalty is reasonable. If I get another phone, it extends my contract. Unlimited family plan affects the wife and three teenagers.

I can't get Sprint to definitively diagnose the problem with my phone. My contract is until April of next year and I'm determined to either get through this agreement without spending an extra dime or ditch when the penalty is reasonable. If I get another phone, it extends my contract. Unlimited family plan affects the wife and three teenagers.

Well, you could buy a phome on EBay and pay the nominal activation fee to Sprint. That shouldn't impact your contract.

There's just no reason to suffer with a phone that drops calls. Little stuff like that can make you crazy, and life's too short.

Sent from my Nexus 7

PM or email me about your problem. I'll see if I can get you some help.

Go with Virgin Mobile. They use Sprint towers, have no contract, allow tethering, and have iPhones. All for $40 per month.

Go with Virgin Mobile. They use Sprint towers, have no contract, allow tethering, and have iPhones. All for $40 per month.

I think the Sprint towers are part of the problem. When I had Verizon, I never once lost a call, under a bridge, in a basement, in an elevator, never. I was thinking Walmart's Straight talk prepaid because they use Verizon's networks.

I personally don't care if the biggest, most powerful corporation in the world thinks that the tenth biggest (or whatever Samsung is) ripped off their technology five years ago -- which is what that suit was all about.

A. If Apple was so miffed with them, why is Samsung still a primary Apple contractor?

B. Five year old technology in phones is like 50 year old technology in cars. Whatever Samsung learned in '07 is surely irrelevant now.

So, back to the point. I have the best phone in history in my pocket. It's affordable, performed flawlessly straight out of the box, and unlike the iPhone is eminently and nearly infinitely user-adjustable and configurable. I like it a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7

This is just one man's opinion.

A) Apple sued and won, based on Samsung stealing their technology. Samsung was unable to prove their case in court. Perhaps you have more information than the court does? They are still using Samsung as a component supplier, because it makes business sense. Not every decision in business is based on emotions.
B) Yes, much of the same technology is still in use, such as the UI experience and it is not irrelevant if they are using Apple's technology to sell devices.

I switched to the iPhone from the Android platform, because the apps I wanted were not available on the Android platform (and still aren't). I understand you need to justify your own decision, but your reasons for choosing a phone don't apply to me or possibly others. Currently, the iPhone is the best phone platform for me, not the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Apple signed a multi-billion dollar contract with Samsung years ago, and I suspect that Apple expected Samsung to act more honorably than they did. It is my understanding that Apple is now diversifying their component partners and shifting supplier agreements away from Samsung.

The technology in dispute was largely related to software features which are foundational to the user experience, and which are still just as relevant today as they were five years ago. If I steal from your hotel, is it okay as long as I'm not stealing stuff that's brand new?

The reality is that Samsung really didn't innovate anything. Google provided the OS and Samsung decided to copy many parts of Apple's designs, and run the whole thing on commodity hardware. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that approach, if the applicable technology is licensed from the patent holder. Microsoft, for example, licensed Apple patents for use in the Surface tablet, even though they will no doubt argue that the Surface is a "better" overall product than the iPad.

The big problem with Android is still the apps (or lack thereof). I can customize desktop Linux a bunch of different ways, too, but I don't have the time to tinker. I want it to be productive right out of the box; at minimum, that means interfacing with multiple email/calendar/contact systems without tons of configuration or installation of apps, and it also means that when I pick up a phone and tablet, I get the exact same interface out of the box. I didn't find that to be the case with Android, either.

JKG

Last edited:
Got to fon^H^H^Hhandle an iPhone 5 yesterday. Nice piece of kit.

I think the Sprint towers are part of the problem. When I had Verizon, I never once lost a call, under a bridge, in a basement, in an elevator, never. I was thinking Walmart's Straight talk prepaid because they use Verizon's networks.

I have Straight Talk right now and have been happy with it, but you'll be limited in your phone choices. Look for a phone with "CDMA-V" in the little box if Verizon's what you want.

I'm a big believer in prepaid, mainly because of the pricing. I've had Boost Mobile, T-Mo Prepaid, and now Straight Talk, and I've been happy with all of them. I've switched because of whose coverage worked where, rather than because of any dissatisfaction. I also had MetroPCS for a while some years ago, but they were brand-new and there were too many no-service areas.

As for the service and coverage on Straight Talk, it's pretty much identical to Verizon's, as far as I can tell -- except for the price. I pay $45.00/month for unlimited everything.

Now... If by chance T-Mobile is an option for you, I have a BlackBerry Curve 3G (9300) for T-Mo that I'm looking to sell $50.00 + shipping. You can get monthly unlimited BB service for $60.00/month with T-Mo prepaid. It worked spectacularly well at my last place, and I was very happy with it. But at the new place, VZW is the only game in town.

-Rich

Early reports on the iPhone5 experience appear sketchy. CNET, MacRumors, and others are reporting:

- Difficulty with WiFi connectivity
- Paint chipping off the aluminum back plate
- Apple Maps non-functional

But, other than these issues, the iPhone5 is still reportedly the best cell phone ever made. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7

Apple signed a multi-billion dollar contract with Samsung years ago, and I suspect that Apple expected Samsung to act more honorably than they did. It is my understanding that Apple is now diversifying their component partners and shifting supplier agreements away from Samsung.

The technology in dispute was largely related to software features which are foundational to the user experience, and which are still just as relevant today as they were five years ago. If I steal from your hotel, is it okay as long as I'm not stealing stuff that's brand new?

The reality is that Samsung really didn't innovate anything. Google provided the OS and Samsung decided to copy many parts of Apple's designs, and run the whole thing on commodity hardware. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that approach, if the applicable technology is licensed from the patent holder. Microsoft, for example, licensed Apple patents for use in the Surface tablet, even though they will no doubt argue that the Surface is a "better" overall product than the iPad.

The big problem with Android is still the apps (or lack thereof). I can customize desktop Linux a bunch of different ways, too, but I don't have the time to tinker. I want it to be productive right out of the box; at minimum, that means interfacing with multiple email/calendar/contact systems without tons of configuration or installation of apps, and it also means that when I pick up a phone and tablet, I get the exact same interface out of the box. I didn't find that to be the case with Android, either.

JKG

And after all that Samsung bashing....Apple is now being sued for stealing Samsung's LTE patents in the iPhone5... :rolleyes:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/n..._host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=US&.lang=en-US

Sent from my Nexus 7

I've said the same thing about my Galaxy Note. I absolutely love it. The only thing that could make me love it more would be if it were twice the size.

I've said the same thing about my Galaxy Note. I absolutely love it. The only thing that could make me love it more would be if it were twice the size.

If it was twice the size, wouldn't it be the Nexus 7? :D

The Galaxy note caught my eye. Looks like a pretty amazing phone. I think it's the missing link between smart phones and tablets.

You know, I've noticed the Apple users have kindly stayed out of the Android and Samsung thread as requested, but certain psycho fanboys can't seem to refrain on this thread.

Always entertaining hearing how Apple fans are supposedly ridiculous, while watching the exact same behavior from the people whining.

Just an observation.

sorry about that. didn't aim to step on any toes. would it help redeem myself if I said I like iphones? shoot, i thought my old 3G was the cat's pajamas when it first came out.

What I'd like now is a 10" tablet that I could also use to make phone calls on. I'd stand in line a few days to buy that.

Last edited:
Back