IPC vs. MM

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
So if the airplane IPC and the MM tell you to use different bolts, what do you do?

The IPC for our Arrow says to use an AN26-25 for the steering cam but the MM says that for 71 and up airplanes (ours is a 73) to use an AN6-14.

Now as the bolt is longer than an inch and a half and there is a Clevis bolt in there now I know I only have one option but still,

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot:dunno:

Last edited:
I've always been told that the MM (if it exists - my 170 does not have a MM) trumps the IPC. The IPC is supposed to a guide to assist in ordering parts, not a be-all-end-all guide for maintenance.

That may be just a legal disclaimer to cover the errors in the IPC (the Cessna 170 IPC has a few of them)

Last edited:
So if the airplane IPC and the MM tell you to use different bolts, what do you do?

The IPC for our Arrow says to use an AN26-25 for the steering cam but the MM says that for 71 and up airplanes (ours is a 73) to use an AN6-14.

Now as the bolt is longer than an inch and a half and there is a Clevis bolt in there now I know I only have one option but still,

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot:dunno:

If I remember my specs right, an AN 6 bolt is 3/8... and an AN 26 would be 1 5/8... thats a huge difference. And I THOUGHT that AN bolts stopped at AN20. That would render AN26 an error.

-14 is 1.5 inch length, and -25 is 2 5/8 inch long...

AN2X is a clevis bolt, so one bolt is a standard 3/8 x 1 1/2 bolt and the other is a 3/8 x 2 5/8 clevis bolt.

The difference in length is the give away here, a 1.5inch bolt wouldn't stick through the hole...

(the Cessna 170 IPC has a few of them)
You'd think they'd update them from time to time:rolleyes:

I have thee or four part numbers for some things listed in my inventory because several planes use it and each has a different revision of the SAME P/N:mad2:

IE '76 172 uses part S1234-2, 80 182 uses S4321-9 and 98 172 uses 12345-01 but to order one you need to ask for a S5646-15:dunno:

Does one contain any verberage connecting it to your specific airframe? If so, question answered. If not, I would still prefer M&M. That is my best guess. I am not a aircraft mechanic.

IPC says all PA28R-200 get the AN26 and the MM says all 71 and up ger the AN6.

MM is wrong, no doubt about it in this case as the bolt listed there would be an inch too short.

Back