Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdwatson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JDW
In the next few weeks I'm going to have an Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) in the T206H to finish out my checkout in that plane. I'm really looking forward to it. I've scouted around and I see that not everyone shares my enthusiasm for IPCs. Of course, this is my first one so my opinion might change. :)

What do y'all think of IPCs ? Any experiences you'd like to share ?

I used to have an IPC every six months, whether I was current or not. (Then I bought a VFR-only airplane and I haven't flown instruments in 4 years.) Anyway, I had an instructor who was excellent at finding your weakness and beating it into submission. Every time you'd land as a far better pilot than you took off as. Then he joined the Dark Side (FSDO inspector) and I was stuck with getting another instructor. This guy had me track/intercept radials and shoot two approaches and then we landed and he signed me off. No partial panel. No NDB-with-a-crosswind-and-a-communications-failure. No learning at all.

I resented paying him the money and I had a talk with his boss afterward. I also never flew with him again. Bottom line: If it's not a learning experience, it's a waste of time.

Is an IPC worth it or better than using the 6 & hold in 6 method? Your insurance company will most likely drop your rates and/or deductible if you agree in writing to stay current by IPC versus 6 & hold in 6 method. Ever known an insurance company to skip income if it didn't reduce expense?

Since I flew alot and I flew IFR, I maintained IFR currency via the 6 in 6 route (the old days) for many years. One day I decided my instrument flying was slowly deteriorating and I tried an IPC. After that one experience I vowed to myself that I would use IPCs from that day forward. Anyone that claims they maintain peak IFR skills without an outside observer is deluding themselves.

BTW, I reached that conclusion many years before I became a CFI-IA, so no, it isn't a self interest statement.

I like doing an IPC. It refreshes some skills that don't get used every day. But plan it with your instructor so you get the most value out of it. Find your weaknesses and train to those.

If I'm renting for IFR possible uses, clubs require the IPC, so fine.
i.e: Once combined first checkout flight at a new aeroclub in a Cardinal RG with new CFI and IPC in summer heat... that was a little intense work at times. Otherwise, FAA currency is fine and cheaper.

Used to do an annual IPC, now I'm on the 6 mo band wagon. I've got an airplane with toys and a wicked CFII. :hairraise: To date, I haven't done much actual, so if I have a major trip coming up, I sign him up for some extra butt kicking just in case I find some clouds.

Both an IPC and a 6x6 approach can become useless if they become canned exercises. I usually do a 6x6 in the fall (current or not), and concentrate on weak skills and practicing approach methods that I hadn't used recently (autopilot modes, partial panel, etc.). Then in the spring I do an IPC to help get the rust off and review the basics. If you find yourself doing the same IPC routine with the same instructor over and over, either talk it out and change the drill or try a different instructor. If the IPC isn't challenging, you're wasting your time and money.

Dan

An IPC with me starts with a routine IFR departure to a relatively close airport with an NDB or GPS approach (depending on which you have in the plane -- most IFR birds have at least one of them) with a missed approach to an NDB/GPS hold, then back to the home 'drome (losing the gyros en route) for a partial-panel VOR approach to a breakout and low approach or T&G. Once stabilized, the panel becomes full again, the hood goes on, one engine fails if it's a twin, and we do an ILS to a full stop. One of the last two approaches will include a circle to land (depending on which runway the wind is favoring). This is a "line-oriented" IPC, but about the only IPC item in the IR PTS not explicitly tested with this routine is recovery from unusual attitudes, although that usually gets covered during the gyro failure.

BTW, I recommend bringing a fresh shirt to wear home, as they one in which you arrived will probably be soaked through when we're done.

Ron Levy said:
An IPC with me starts with a routine IFR departure to a relatively close airport with an NDB or GPS approach (depending on which you have in the plane -- most IFR birds have at least one of them) with a missed approach to an NDB/GPS hold, then back to the home 'drome (losing the gyros en route) for a partial-panel VOR approach to a breakout and low approach or T&G. Once stabilized, the panel becomes full again, the hood goes on, one engine fails if it's a twin, and we do an ILS to a full stop. One of the last two approaches will include a circle to land (depending on which runway the wind is favoring). This is a "line-oriented" IPC, but about the only IPC item in the IR PTS not explicitly tested with this routine is recovery from unusual attitudes, although that usually gets covered during the gyro failure.

BTW, I recommend bringing a fresh shirt to wear home, as they one in which you arrived will probably be soaked through when we're done.

Ron- Sounds like what I want and need; not sure I could stand the intimidation!

SCCutler said:
Ron- Sounds like what I want and need; not sure I could stand the intimidation!

I'd rather sweat with Ron than on a partial panel approach to mins. Well, I'd sweat that too.

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat."

Back