IPads pretty cheap

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
Best Buy has their iPad Air 2 for $375 right now. Cheapest I have seen it. It's in store pick up only. They jam you for tax too, but it was still $30 cheaper than Amazon was. Mine was $408 out the door and they are back ordered till Dec 30th. Don't know how long it's at that price.

Once I get it, I'm putting my IPad 2 up for sale and keeping the 3 as my back up.

Just passing on what I would consider a deal that we all have interest in(cept for the Apple H8ers)

And Walmart has the iPad Mini 2 for $199. Now, it's only 16GB, but it makes a perfect back-up iPad. I'm only keeping aviation apps on it and i still have room to spare. It's a much better back-up than my iPhone.

I think I'll get my mom one to replace her desktop with. She seems to struggle just to get to her email on it. I think an iPad would be a little more bullet proof for her.

If anyone is new to iPads and flying, do yourself a favor and get one with cellular and not just wifi. For those that do not already know this the wifi only models do not have a GPS built into them whereas the cellular models do. Happy shopping.

If anyone is new to iPads and flying, do yourself a favor and get one with cellular and not just wifi. For those that do not already know this the wifi only models do not have a GPS built into them whereas the cellular models do. Happy shopping.

Moot point when using an adsb receiver such as a Stratus.

And I too have dedicated one iPad to aviation only. I wanted to keep it"clean" if you will from all the hash and trash.

Moot point when using an adsb receiver such as a Stratus.

Unless your stratus battery dies and you forgot the charger. When I got my iPad, I got a sim card for a provider other than my iPhone carrier. Idea was if I was in an area without Verizon coverage, I could activate my AT&T data if I needed internet access. That's come in handy a few times. Of course if you go with a T-mobile sim card, You can get a small amount of data (250mb/mo) free.

Best Buy has their iPad Air 2 for $375 right now. Cheapest I have seen it. It's in store pick up only. They jam you for tax too, but it was still $30 cheaper than Amazon was. Mine was $408 out the door and they are back ordered till Dec 30th. Don't know how long it's at that price.

Once I get it, I'm putting my IPad 2 up for sale and keeping the 3 as my back up.

Just passing on what I would consider a deal that we all have interest in(cept for the Apple H8ers)

I think I mentioned this once before back before black Friday...

If you do the math, $375 is no bargain on an iPad Air 2.

When they were first released, they sold for $499. That was more than a year ago. The functional lifespan for an iPad, by all measures, is about four years. So when you depreciate the value of a device that has about three years of useful life left, its value is, you guessed it....$374.

That's why I tend to wait until a new model comes out when I replace my devices. There's no real incentive to wait for a price drop.

The Cellular model adds about $130. You can buy a Bluetooth GPS puck for less than $80. Yeah it's one more thing you have to charge and carry around but they are about the size of a condom wrapper(best thing I could compare it to) and about 1/2 inch thick, only saves you $50 but if you are trying to be cost conscious...

I went WiFi only because of all of the reports of people ending up getting an external GPS anyway for reliability. If you get something like the Dual XGPS 150 it's close to a wash or you save a bit of money.

Thanks. In that case the extra $ would just be for the internal GPS. I have a 'droid with an internal GPS. It works pretty well, almost all the time, but if it loses a GPS lock in flight it can have trouble getting it back. I've considered the external Bluetooth puck, but haven't done it yet. I think that external receiver would have a better chance of maintaining a good signal compared to a tablet that gets moved around on my lap and sometimes dropped into a side pocket to keep it out of the way.

My plane has two GPS's, one VFR one IFR. Dont need another one. All I need is charts. VFR mandatory, IFR would be nice to have enroute and approach. I know, having the airplane icon on the chart is nice, but its not necessary. Also, I HATE cords. No cords! Just the charts ma'am. Not real concerned with screen size either. Smaller is better IMO. I know my needs are not everyones. Ideally the thing would be built into the panel. Charts in the panel would be the way to go really. Now that is the way it SHOULD be!

Mine is wifi only and I'm perfectly pleased with the set up. If I really need the GPS, I just whip out my phone. That way, you don't have to pay - what? $60/month - for an extra data line.

That way, you don't have to pay - what? $60/month - for an extra data line.

Hi Rachel.... There is no need to pay for a monthly fee. The cellular model has the GPS built in regardless of whether or not the actual data usage is hooked up or not.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by mentioning the cellular model vs. wifi. I just wanted to help educate those that didn't know there was a difference.

I personally have a iPad mini 2 cellular model and the Stratus 2 (which is awesome by the way). An advantage to having some sort of external gps added (elf, stratus, etc.) to any of the iPads is more accuracy. It's not much but but worth mentioning.

Mine is wifi only and I'm perfectly pleased with the set up. If I really need the GPS, I just whip out my phone. That way, you don't have to pay - what? $60/month - for an extra data line.

I pay VZW $10.00 a month on my family share plan. well worth it since I use my iPad for quite a bit.

As a aside...

...though you'll pay $130 premium for the cellular/gps model, when you go to sell you'll get a bit of that back as a premium on your sales price.

Nowhere near the $130 in all likelihood, but your net out-of-pocket to have the built-in gps and the cellular option will be less than $130 once that's factored in.

I've always thought it was worth it, though over many years I've only purchased two months of cellular as a convenience when traveling. Probably less likely to do that now that the iPhone 6+ screen is large enough to substitute as a mini-mini-iPad in a pinch.

thx for the heads up, too. I didn't know the GPS wasn't included in the non-cell version.

Hi Rachel.... There is no need to pay for a monthly fee. The cellular model has the GPS built in regardless of whether or not the actual data usage is hooked up or not.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by mentioning the cellular model vs. wifi. I just wanted to help educate those that didn't know there was a difference.

I personally have a iPad mini 2 cellular model and the Stratus 2 (which is awesome by the way). An advantage to having some sort of external gps added (elf, stratus, etc.) to any of the iPads is more accuracy. It's not much but but worth mentioning.

I thought you had to "activate" them with a plan to use them. Either way, I was thinking about getting the Status 2 or Bad Elf should the need ever arise.

If anyone is considering an external ADS-B receiver - research Stratux (yes, stratus with an X instead of S). You'll save several hundred dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, Apple does a poor job of explaining the relationship between cell network data and built in GPS. The iPad has been out for more than five years and still people are confused. The obvious solution is GPS on all iPads but I guess the business case didn't work on that one.

but they are about the size of a condom wrapper QUOTE]

But...do they come in different colors and sizes? :rofl:

sorry...just had to do it :yes:

I was in pub in Scotland years ago. In the men's room the vending machine had "whisky flavoured condoms".

Carry on...

I was in pub in Scotland years ago. In the men's room the vending machine had "whisky flavoured condoms".

Carry on...

The women in Scotland are a tough act ...make sure the condoms are single malt flavored ...no cheap blends for them gals.....:no:

we just upgraded our phones at AT&T today, and they have an iPad mini for $99 as an add-on for purchasing new phones.

Verizon $20 / mo., and I never go over on my usage.

Adding tablets to my TMo plan is a flat $10/mo per tablet and each gets 6GB of data. They could also just simply be tethered to the phone.

I had bought an iPad mini as a Christmas gift for my daughter, then Best Buy comes out with that $100 off deal. I had to return the one I'd bought to the Apple store, then had to go about 20 miles to a Best Buy that had the one she wanted. Sometimes procrastination pays.

I was thinking about ordering one from Apple and having it engraved, I'm glad I didn't.

Same here, I purchased the Ipad Mini4 64GB from Best Buy for $399. Seems to be the best price in town.

Same here, I purchased the Ipad Mini4 64GB from Best Buy for $399. Seems to be the best price in town.

Great deal.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but independent testers have judged your display the best on any iPad.

Though admittedly, they all get the job done.

As an aside, my iPad Mini Retina always seemed fine - until I started using my wife's iPad Air 2 which I inherited after she got an iPad Pro. Now I go back to my old Mini and it seems noticeably sluggish.

Last edited:
Mini 3's on sale today only at Best Buy. check out my thread in Hangar Talk for link

Back