iPad2...

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Finally did it, went and got an iPad 2 32GB wifi unit. What finally drove me to doing it was seeing the WingX Pro 7 with SVT and ADS-B. Downloading the databases into it now.

Couple of questions, I have the Dual BlueTooth GPS right now, and it's a pretty good unit. I have a good signal inside my apartment. I'm also going to pick up the ADS-B unit and have the Dual as a back up.

Interesting thing I have going on here though... I have a late model Sony Vaio running Win 7 and whatever iTunes has me updated to. When I plug my iPad into the computer, it doesn't charge. Is this something I have to turn on?

Finally did it, went and got an iPad 2 32GB wifi unit. What finally drove me to doing it was seeing the WingX Pro 7 with SVT and ADS-B. Downloading the databases into it now.

Couple of questions, I have the Dual BlueTooth GPS right now, and it's a pretty good unit. I have a good signal inside my apartment. I'm also going to pick up the ADS-B unit and have the Dual as a back up.

Interesting thing I have going on here though... I have a late model Sony Vaio running Win 7 and whatever iTunes has me updated to. When I plug my iPad into the computer, it doesn't charge. Is this something I have to turn on?

Henning, when you say it doesn't charge, is it truly not charging or that it just says, not charging. Haven't had mine just plugged into the computer for awhile so I don't remember for sure. The iPad does require 2 amps to charge. USB is limited to .5 amp.

Plugged into the computer USB I get same message.

I have a powered USB hub I need to try to see if that does the trick.

Henning, I'm real curios to see your take on the iPad once you have a bunch of flying hours with it.

There should be a small, white block that you plug into a regular 110v socket (10 amp). Then the USB cable goes into the iPad and the block.

There should be a small, white block that you plug into a regular 110v socket (10 amp). Then the USB cable goes into the iPad and the block.

LOL, yeah, I know, I'm using that to charge the GPS...:D

Henning, when you say it doesn't charge, is it truly not charging or that it just says, not charging. Haven't had mine just plugged into the computer for awhile so I don't remember for sure. The iPad does require 2 amps to charge. USB is limited to .5 amp.

Truly doesn't charge. Likely you have it correct on the amperage issue

Plugged into the computer USB I get same message.

I have a powered USB hub I need to try to see if that does the trick.

Henning, I'm real curios to see your take on the iPad once you have a bunch of flying hours with it.

Well, I'm annoyed with it already...:D I can't do anything else on it as it downloads. Any attempt to do so so far had caused the download to halt. I thought this OS allowed multi tasking especially with the new 2 core processor.

If you have an older PC, the voltage on the older usb ports is too low. You'll need to use a wall charger. I have the same issue.

These databases are taking forever and I want to get to Angry Birds....:mad2::mad2::mad2:

The USB standard is .5 of an Amp. iPad requires almost 2 Amps to quick charge.

Some USB 3 laptops will quick charge iPad, it all depends on what the iPad "gets" when it negotiates with the USB driver in the machine.

Apple's latest machines say "Oh, you're an iPad, have some juice." They're doing this "above and beyond" the USB spec, which the spec doesn't prohibit. It only defines a minimum per device.

At 0.5 Amps, the iPad will charge on some machines (most?) very very slowly. Putting it to sleep (kill the backlight and WiFi) will accelerate that process but it'll take all night from an almost dead battery.

Same thing with iPhone chargers, same connector but slow charge rate.

If it says "not charging" it really isn't. It got rejected by the USB driver or got no reply (laptop off). If you hear the charging chime when you plug in but no charging indicator, it may be doing the slow charge. (Only way to find out is put it to sleep and wait an hour or more, see if charge level crept up.)

Fastest charge is with wall wort it came with. Apple put some very accurate resistors across a pin (or two) that tell the device it's "clear for engine start" (heh).

Some vendors have figured out the "secret" and they'll claim (correctly) that their AC or DC (car) chargers will handle iPad at the higher rate, but you have to be careful there. Anyone with a USB port will claim they can charge iPad. They just don't tell you how slowly.

It's messy. Apple made sure if you buy their laptops/desktops they'll charge the thing full-tilt-boogy. Same with the provided charger.

Anybody else's gear you'll have to experiment.

Same stuff with iPhone. The built in iPod adapter I had added to my GMC stereo as a replacement for "XM 1" on the built in system always triggers a "This device was not made for iPhone" because the little resistors aren't present. But it controls and charges the iPhone as an iPod just fine.

The USB standard is .5 of an Amp. iPad requires almost 2 Amps to quick charge.

It's messy. Apple made sure if you buy their laptops/desktops they'll charge the thing full-tilt-boogy. Same with the provided charger.

Anybody else's gear you'll have to experiment.

Does Apple make a twin USB output DC plug?

Well, I'm annoyed with it already...:D I can't do anything else on it as it downloads. Any attempt to do so so far had caused the download to halt. I thought this OS allowed multi tasking especially with the new 2 core processor.

Nope. It's a single-tasking OS for the most part with the exception of alerts, alarms and other OS level stuff. Downloads aren't multitasking.

Applications are put to sleep when you launch other applications with one odd exception... The browser can stream audio in the background with sone code tricks. (Scanner listening apps and LiveATC use this trick. They stay running after you context switch to something else.)

Don't think iOS 5 will change this either. Apple claims it's for battery life. They're going to make alerts less intrusive but not do full multitasking, I believe.

Does Apple make a twin USB output DC plug?

No. Nothing with an active USB chipset is technically supposed to do that. But some hard drive manufacturers remove the power negotiation from their drivers so they can suck 1.0 by *not* negotiating thus getting 0.5 from two ports in USB 1.0 and 2.0.

In addition to the "non-negotiated device" limits, laptops are supposed to shut down all USB bus power if their current draw total available is exceeded. I've seen people trigger this with USB coffee warmers, USB "fishtanks", USB fans... Anything that doesn't negotiate a power draw requirement and just relies on the bus to provide 0.5 Amps at 5 VDC.

Then they wonder why they can't read any data off their USB stick.

I think maybe... maybe... You can find USB hubs that use this trick to get 1.0 Amps also, but it's still below the 2.0 Amps required for the iPad to quick charge, and the iPad can't "negotiate" 2.0 Amps with the hub, so it won't work anyway.

My iPad will charge plugged into my iMac via USB as long as the iPad screen is not on. It does take it quite a long time to charge. But this is how I always charge it.

Why not swap them, i.e. charge the GPS with the computer's USB port and use the iPad charger for the iPad?

GPS needs to be in the other room to get a fix. No worries, found another powerblock.

12hrs later and I still do not have functioning install of WingX pro7 and I'm not able to do the Geo-Ref download, blocked by "Error: Updates have Expired" notice.

Why is my iPad not discoverin my Zulus? My android phone has them...

If your Android phone is paired with them and nearby you might need to shutdown the bluetooth on your Android to allow the iPad to pair with them.

Is your Android phone currently paired to them and active?

If your Android phone is paired with them and nearby you might need to shutdown the bluetooth on your Android to allow the iPad to pair with them.

I was trying it before with no success. Turned Android on only briefly to check for pairing signal and was successful so I know the Zulu BT works.

Did WingX ever load, or did you switch to Foreflight? ;) ;) ;)

Foreflight does not offer charting in most of my operating area. The SVT database is the terrain database which doesn't have the same boundaries. Not sure yet exactly how far it goes, he's supposed to get back to me.

Foreflight doesn't offer the option.

All I can say so far of my experience with the consumer solution is 24 hrs into it, and I still don't have a working product.

Seattle avionics does not list the product to go with WingX on their website, so when you buy the product that sounds right from the description, it is not correct. Seattle Avionics does not answer their phone or respond to email (which the recording says "We are helping..." if you need urgent response email..." well, email is over an hour old now....

These databases are taking forever and I want to get to Angry Birds....:mad2::mad2::mad2:

The database download scheme for WingX Pro blows in my opinion, a least compared to Foreflight. It was very frustrating for me while I was in the evaluation period, particularly from a slower connection.

Too many developers out there assume that everyone has a 4 Mbps connection or better, when that isn't the case.

Mr,Henning?My Name Is Bruce .I have been for the past 20 years or so trying to find out anything I can about Eddie Weinberg.I sailed with him for about 2 years prior to him and Scott flying out to Hawaii to sail the Diosa back to San Pedro.I would sure appreciate it if you could take a few minutes out of your day.1 day soon,and have a small discussion with me.My email is:tennesseeghost@yahoo.com,and/or you can reach me thru here.I lived and worked on the Ranger for room and board and $35 a week.Best damn job I have ever had in my entire life.I await your reply,Sir/Thank you for your time.Sincerely,Bruce,the Doorman.

Mr,Henning?My Name Is Bruce .I have been for the past 20 years or so trying to find out anything I can about Eddie Weinberg.I sailed with him for about 2 years prior to him and Scott flying out to Hawaii to sail the Diosa back to San Pedro.I would sure appreciate it if you could take a few minutes out of your day.1 day soon,and have a small discussion with me.My email is:tennesseeghost@yahoo.com,and/or you can reach me thru here.I lived and worked on the Ranger for room and board and $35 a week.Best damn job I have ever had in my entire life.I await your reply,Sir/Thank you for your time.Sincerely,Bruce,the Doorman.
Saw Eddie last year, he's living on an old 43' Egg Harbor he bought 20 years ago, "Last Dime" or something like that. I'm sure you heard that Diosa is on the bottom, Spooky drove her onto the reef at the Isthmus, Lady is out in Riverside getting a complete rebuild, and Ranger is getting the same thing (maybe done?) down in Panama where she sank.

Back