iPad2 for flying -- is 3G needed?

Depending on the software, ForeFlight? I thought if an external gps signal was received, that is what it used. Stratus should have provided gps data through the wifi connection.

I thought it used Bluetooth? But it is wifi?

The Stratus, DualXGPS 170, and every other portable ADS-B receiver all have internal WAAS gps receivers that are far better than the gps in any tablet.

There is no need to have an internal gps in your table when using a Stratus or any similar ADS-B portable device.

I bought an iPad 3 from an Apple store last fall, they told me "they all have a GPS chip" horse poop! I took it back 2 weeks later and traded it for a 3G, no data plan! It's worked great, high wing and low wing planes!

If you have a DROID phone, just jailbreak it and set it up as a wifi hotspot...then you don't need to worry about a data plan for your iPad.

Also, I'm told that later model iPad allow one to tether iPhones with a data plan but I don't know this for a fact because I don't have an iPhone or a later iPad (I'm still running on the first generation).

In my case, I have absolutely no need for the 3G/4G iPad...except that it's required for the GPS chip (even though the local folks at Best Buy think they all have them these days).

Then add the ability to use the 3G while traveling if needed and that last $29 becomes worth it IMO.

:yeahthat:

I flew for a year with wifi only. Happy to have the integrated GPS and use the data connection often...even in flight.

If you have a DROID phone, just jailbreak it and set it up as a wifi hotspot...then you don't need to worry about a data plan for your iPad.

Also, I'm told that later model iPad allow one to tether iPhones with a data plan but I don't know this for a fact because I don't have an iPhone or a later iPad (I'm still running on the first generation).

In my case, I have absolutely no need for the 3G/4G iPad...except that it's required for the GPS chip (even though the local folks at Best Buy think they all have them these days).

I can tether my i5 with my iPad2, AppleTV no problem. All devices are stock.

Back